Closed Thread

Old 28 November 2020, 08:13   #61

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I believe the Electric Car/Hybred ...especially of the 4x4 heavy duty variety may be a (comparatively) short lived concept...Indeed it may prove be the Beeta Max of the personal Vehicle timeline.
Hydrogen fuel cell technology is currently making great strides and offers many benefits and advantages long term...although Elon Musk and others may not agree......at least for now!
....and with the outlandish cost of nationwide (indeed-worldwide) infrastructure needed for practicle electric vehicle Charging facilities...initial manufacturing AND considerable recycling costs of electric vehicles....coupled with the finite recourses AND Geo politics ..of minerals and rare earth elements needed in thier manufacturing they may well turn out be a technical cul-de-sac in the longer term.

Of course if "Big Brother" gets his way "private personal transport" itself may well end up a thing of the past!...it's surprising how fast things change if your not keeping an eye on the Ball!.... But For ALL the right reasons OF COURSE!

Not very long ago!...I remember being told along with everyone else the Diesel Car (with the "Experts" ..backing naturally ) was our Saviour!... by our (not so esteemed) at the time Prime Minister...remember Him??

The "Big" picture is the one that really matters!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Old 28 November 2020, 09:44   #62

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
...it's surprising how fast things change if your not keeping an eye on the Ball!..

For me the best example of this was a guy in telecoms infrastructure some 20yrs ago telling me that before too long we'd all be receiving TV through our telephone line and watching programmes at a time of our choosing. I nodded politely but inwardly thought that's just a dream that'll never happen.

And yet here we are.
Old 28 November 2020, 10:14   #63

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
...it's surprising how fast things change if your not keeping an eye on the Ball!..

For me the best example of this was a guy in telecoms infrastructure some 20yrs ago telling me that before too long we'd all be receiving TV through our telephone line and watching programmes at a time of our choosing. I nodded politely but inwardly thought that's just a dream that'll never happen.

And yet here we are.

Yup[emoji106] agree with Maxi, electric cars will go the way of the laser disc, CDs, video tape etc. I can remember CDs being shown on Tomorrow’s World & being hailed as the future. I think there’s still plenty of mileage (geddit🥴?) in Diesel, & to think that we can replace petrol & Diesel in 9 years is delusional.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Old 28 November 2020, 10:36   #64

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I believe the Electric Car/Hybred ...especially of the 4x4 heavy duty variety may be a (comparatively) short lived concept...Indeed it may prove be the Beeta Max of the personal Vehicle timeline.
Hydrogen fuel cell technology is currently making great strides and offers many benefits and advantages long term...although Elon Musk and others may not agree......at least for now!
....and with the outlandish cost of nationwide (indeed-worldwide) infrastructure needed for practicle electric vehicle Charging facilities...initial manufacturing AND considerable recycling costs of electric vehicles....coupled with the finite recourses AND Geo politics ..of minerals and rare earth elements needed in thier manufacturing they may well turn out be a technical cul-de-sac in the longer term.

Of course if "Big Brother" gets his way "private personal transport" itself may well end up a thing of the past!...it's surprising how fast things change if your not keeping an eye on the Ball!.... But For ALL the right reasons OF COURSE!

Not very long ago!...I remember being told along with everyone else the Diesel Car (with the "Experts" ..backing naturally ) was our Saviour!... by our (not so esteemed) at the time Prime Minister...remember Him??

The "Big" picture is the one that really matters!
Prime minister TB was interviewed a few years ago, the journalist asked why the UK was one of the most heavily green-taxed county's in the world but our emissions are under 2% of the global output, anything we did was irrelevant unless the rest of the world also took a stance against global warming..............after a uncomfortable silence Mr Blair stated we we're 'setting an example' '
Old 28 November 2020, 12:15   #65
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
but our emissions are under 2% of the global output, anything we did was irrelevant
Hmmm - I was listening to a bloke from the FO today, banging on about how much the UK was respected globally and was a major influencer. So maybe there's something to the "example" angle. If we all sit waiting for someone to take the bins out - they'll be there for a while.

Additionally, with a mere 0.87% of the global population, the UK has a whopping 2% of global manufacturing output - so you're clearly polluting more than average on a per capita basis. On the upside, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with Alternative Facts...

Old 28 November 2020, 14:53   #66

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Yup[emoji106] agree with Maxi, electric cars will go the way of the laser disc, CDs, video tape etc. I can remember CDs being shown on Tomorrow’s World & being hailed as the future. I think there’s still plenty of mileage (geddit��?) in Diesel, & to think that we can replace petrol & Diesel in 9 years is delusional.
Not convinced. The writing is on the wall for ICE cars one way or another. The UK government is bound by their commitment to lower emissions for starters and vehicle manufacturers are betting that electricity and battery power is sustainable long term as they start to invest in this type of technology. That said the powers to be have done nowt to move this on.

If you look at new diesel cars for example with ad blue technology, DPF, EGR, it's getting so complicated with multiple sensors in order to reduce emissions given its linked to tax bands and we all know what happened to VW when they tried the alternative.

Sustainability is the way forward. It's better to run an older car that's still economically viable than switch every few years, given the carbon footprint it creates. There's similar pressure on Apple and other tech giants to actively take back the products they produce for exactly the same reason.

Anyway interesting debate.
Old 28 November 2020, 15:30   #67

Town: Chelmsford
It might be said that this fred has drifted some what
Old 28 November 2020, 16:00   #68

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Sustainability is the way forward. It's better to run an older car that's still economically viable than switch every few years, given the carbon footprint it creates. There's similar pressure on Apple and other tech giants to actively take back the products they produce for exactly the same reason.

Anyway interesting debate.
Couldn’t agree more, personal transport contributes such a tiny percentage to carbon emissions, it’s why I pretty much guilt free remove DPF’s and EGR’s as soon as I get a new vehicle and have it remapped (cat still present) it’s 8 years old, now has 200bhp and does 60mpg and I’ll keep it for a while for sure.

You want to make an actual difference ban cruise ships, there’s a huge improvement straight away. It’s something along the lines of equivalent to running 1million average cars - that’s the big cruise ships.....

Any way, as mentioned this is a wild tangent now.
Old 28 November 2020, 16:23   #69

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
It might be said that this fred has drifted some what
Agreed. I didn't even know you could cut and weld in a new tail end chassis on a Land Rover.

I think rather than dunk any future 4x4s into the briny, then look for an extension bar to your trailer. I've recovered with ropes, but we're a bit like the Chuckle Brothers standing on the trailer drawbar when winching on the boat.
Old 28 November 2020, 16:26   #70

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hmmm - I was listening to a bloke from the FO today, banging on about how much the UK was respected globally and was a major influencer. So maybe there's something to the "example" angle. If we all sit waiting for someone to take the bins out - they'll be there for a while.

Additionally, with a mere 0.87% of the global population, the UK has a whopping 2% of global manufacturing output - so you're clearly polluting more than average on a per capita basis. On the upside, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with Alternative Facts...

0.87% population of World Population?
...With said by some the 5th Largest economy on Earth?....Not too Shabby eh ......we are also one of the leading Green innovators Worldwide with an envied record compared to most on Polution reduction ...and will in time certainly improve our performance, and continue to be an example to....and indeed learning from others .....which Im sure "most" would endorse!
... Certainly harnessing the City of London ...Free Markets
and.....Capitalism (in its many forms) and Allies to get the Job done....whilst we continue to enjoy our hard won Freedoms.. Rule of law ..and continued prosperity.
We have many opportunities.

For me The future (even in these fraught times ) is pretty exciting
Not withstanding The usual Dangers to the Free World and Potential Influence...(Political Culturally AND Militarily) of Beligerant Totalitarian Dictiorrial Sates bent on our demise...Freedoms (our rights to amicably disagree) and indeed our way of life.
Which have ALWAYS been out there ...and who's challenge we must rise too ...as we ALWAYS have in the past...together.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Old 28 November 2020, 16:56   #71

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
0.87% population of World Population?
...With said by some the 5th Largest economy on Earth?....Not too Shabby eh ......we are also one of the leading Green innovators Worldwide with an envied record compared to most on Polution reduction ...and will in time certainly improve our performance, and continue to be an example to....and indeed learning from others .....which Im sure "most" would endorse!
... Certainly harnessing the City of London ...Free Markets
and.....Capitalism (in its many forms) and Allies to get the Job done....whilst we continue to enjoy our hard won Freedoms.. Rule of law ..and continued prosperity.
We have many opportunities.

For me The future (even in these fraught times ) is pretty exciting
Not withstanding The usual Dangers to the Free World and Potential Influence...(Political Culturally AND Militarily) of Beligerant Totalitarian Dictiorrial Sates bent on our demise...Freedoms (our rights to amicably disagree) and indeed our way of life.
Which have ALWAYS been out there ...and who's challenge we must rise too ...as we ALWAYS have in the past...together.

Who would have thought such a "Churchillian" speech would have arisen from such a simple question :-

"So what stuff might I be able to spray under the car to help this issue"
Old 28 November 2020, 17:45   #72
Administrator

Town: Brighton
The Sea Killed my Landy

Yes, and I think this discussion has probably run it’s course now!