Boat name: Humma
Make: Humber Destoyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Out b 75 hp Marriner
MMSI: 235068231
RIBase
Sun on rib tubes

Hi
how badly does the sun rays effect P V C tubes seems like every time i leave mine in the sun i have a problem with leaks.
Got a 4 metre Narwhal with rubbing strip hanging off cone now sent for more pvc glue and cleaner
Stuart
Old 14 June 2007, 09:14   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Are you talking about the sun and heat making the tubes rock hard from air expansion or uv damage to the tubes?
Old 14 June 2007, 09:25   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stul View Post
Hi
how badly does the sun rays effect P V C tubes seems like every time i leave mine in the sun i have a problem with leaks.
Got a 4 metre Narwhal with rubbing strip hanging off cone now sent for more pvc glue and cleaner
Stuart
With the sort of problems you're describing, it sounds as if your tubes are not in a good state. It might be a bit past 'sun cream' When you've gotton it sorted, this is the stuff that'll protect it. Factor 40 for your rib.
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=28065249
Old 14 June 2007, 09:58   #4

Town: STOKE
RIBase
sun and tubes

Yes problems with leaking tubes been repaired several times ,if i keep rib in cool garage after repair seem to hold air ,but every time i store rib outside with a cover near my caravan leaks and promlems seem to come back quickly
I think as you said sun makes tubes hot and hard pressure builds and leaks come back
Thanks
stuart
Old 14 June 2007, 11:04   #5

De pressurize your tubes before you leave them in the sun for long periods of time, you will be surprised how hard the heat can make the tubes become on a hot day, if you leave the tubes fully pumped up in the sun then damage to the seems is a common problem.
Old 14 June 2007, 11:09   #6

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
I use 303 & it works a treat. It says reapply monthly but I just give it a q spray all over after each use & it looks as good as new, water just beads off the treated surfaces. 303 is cheaper from a spa shop than boat shop, I got a box for 8 GBP each & have used 1 spray already this summer.

The sunīs effect on tube pressure is massive - here in Spain especially. Saturday was sunny sort of 30 degrees type of day & the light grey tubes were pumped to hard pressure, Sunday it rained, I know, no one could believe it as it hasnīt rained here in June for the 5 years I lived here. Anyway, the tubes were probably 80% full & the bimini shade (well rain cover in this case) was flapping about all over the place. Stopped raining mid morning & then hot & sunny again.

I also covered the car & scooter in 303. It brings up the black trim v well.

Hope it helps
Old 14 June 2007, 12:23   #7

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
time for new hypalon tubes
Old 14 June 2007, 12:26   #8

I envy you over there in that sunshine, maybe its time i moved to the sun? this country's getting right on my t--ts so that maybe a real possibility for the future
Old 14 June 2007, 12:40   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Hi
Stuart
IMHO It's not the sun that's your problem - it's the tube material! Hypalon is much better all around.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2007, 13:39   #10

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
life in spain

is not a permanent holiday as all those tv shows would have you believe. The summers are fab though, 5 months of it. I love reading this forum about the councils closing slipways, charging for car parks, charging for 30 mins at a pontoon, locking everything up, poor weather...I could go on but I lived in UK & had forgotten all about that.

Anyway, Spain is about 15-20 years behind UK so I know what is coming! at the mo we love the free concrete slipway with prep area (I give it 9 out of 10), free parking alongside, not locking the trailer up, free pontoon when we stop to eat, coffee & brandy for 3e (& thatīs in the posh yatch club, only 2e in my fave cafe). ī

Downside must be those young girls on the beach every day in those teeny weeny bikinis.....
Old 14 June 2007, 14:19   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
It sounds as if the problem is, as Tim says, a pressure problem more than a leak problem.

My boat will go from sagging tubes to reasonably firm with the change from night (50-ish F) to direct sun (70's F). If I leave it at operating pressure (2.5psi is the spec), the sun will greatly overpressurize the tubes, blowing seams.

If your repairs are not holding, this may well be your problem. Check your pressure when the boat is cool in the shade, then again when it's been in the sun for a while. Eventually, you'll get a feel for what state it should be left in to ensure it remains within the pressure specs.

jky
Old 14 June 2007, 16:47   #12

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
I have same problem but much worse. 7 am temp is 70 F and 4pm is 110F.
I do repairs and checks early am. leave for about an hour and then deflate the tubes a bit so the repairs are not blown out.
T.
Old 14 June 2007, 17:35   #13

I spent 2 weeks last year in Italy and didn't want to come back because of the culture and weather, mind you being over there when they won the world cup probably improved the atmosphere, but i love the Med. Its not just about the weather its the way of life, not rushing around stressed out like everybody is becoming over here, the trouble with this country is that its run by negative minded, vindictive, ignorant tos---s that couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery between them.
Old 14 June 2007, 18:11   #14

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Who also draw a nice salary whilst doing it. And no, an MP's wage is not crap after you take into account all the scams with loans, free travel etc, houses etc, Mind you the Euro gravy train is even worse ... AARRGHH !
Old 15 June 2007, 05:09   #15

Town: STOKE
RIBase
sun on tubes

Thanks for replys
What does 303 do protect from uv rays on tubes makes them supple would they still get hot an expand ? every time I see it flat feel like firing a 303 at it
Old 15 June 2007, 09:15   #16

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Thanks for replys
What does 303 do protect from uv rays on tubes makes them supple would they still get hot an expand ? every time I see it flat feel like firing a 303 at it
303 protector just stops / slows down the suns degradation of the tubes. It wouldn't stop the expansion and contraction caused by heat.
Old 15 June 2007, 09:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
303 protector just stops / slows down the suns degradation of the tubes. It wouldn't stop the expansion and contraction caused by heat.
Oh er yer, off coarse the sun would still cause the air in the tubes to expand immaterial of what tube protector you use nothing will stop the air from warming up and expanding, but no need to worry about that one any more is there if your going to deflate your tubes when leaving them in the sun