Old 14 June 2007, 15:23   #1

Length: 5m +
Advice for robust runabout

I'm looking at buying a SIB or a rigid polypropylene RIB - lookalike for use as both a general runabout and a tender to an angling boat on a fixed mooring.

I've been looking at what's about, and have narrowed it down to either a 3.8 or 4m SIB or something like the Sparfel 3.90 or Steady 400 polypropylene RIB-style boats.

I live about 200m from the sea, and have a couple of possible locations where I could drag the boat up and down a smooth shingle beach for launching and retrieving. So what I'm looking for is a boat that:

1. Is light enough to launch/retrieve single handed - without a trailer, although I might run to a small launching trolley.
2. Is tough enough for dragging it up and down a smooth stony beach without killing it in short order.

I intend to use it both as a tender, and a general runabout for exploring the local sheltered coastline and doing a bit of casual fishing, so it will need to be a Cat C design, suitable for at least 3 adults.

I won't need to go anywhere particularly fast, and I have a 5HP Honda going spare, so engine-wise I was planning to use that - at least to start with. I can see myself upgrading to something like a 20HP in the near future if I get on well with the boat.

...and as this is going to be a second boat and pretty much a knockabout, I don't want to break the bank - I'd like to keep it below £1.5K if possible.

So far I've looked at the Honwave Aluminium floor SIBs, Quicksilver and Avon SIBS, and the Steady 400 polypropylene boat. Initial thoughts are that the Steady 400 is probably too heavy to launch single handed, but it looks bomb proof.

Any suggestions or comments welcome, I'm new to SIBs and RIBs but not to boating. Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance,

Neil
Old 14 June 2007, 22:40   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Whilst it is GRP, an Avon Searider would probably suite - they are very well built little boats and would be well suited to the variety of tasks you would want it for.
Old 15 June 2007, 07:50   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Neil this is over budget (but its only been used once) however an older one could suit. We used to go diving from a Mk2 with 25hp outboard. It would happily plane with 4 divers and great fun.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F144194/

Alternatively how about a Force 3 or Force 4 Flatacraft and a small trailer with wide tyres for the beach.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F125253/

Worth keeping a good look out on E Bay.

Pete
Old 15 June 2007, 09:52   #4

Thanks for the suggestions, they all look as if they would fit the bill - will keep an eye out for any good deals.
Old 15 June 2007, 10:12   #5

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
i second the flatcraft force 3 idea. I had one, they are a rock solid boat. I used to launch mine on a stony beach on a rubbish old launching trolley, not too hard, although i had a 15hp on it, so it was fast, but heavy if the beach you are launching on is steep. Also you can sail the force 3 if you like. The force 4 is the most ugly boat i have ever seen!