Old 11 May 2020, 11:09   #21

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
How does this work - if a member of your family who would normally crew the boat isn't in the same household? In Scotland - we're starting the next 3 week lock-down, so potentially first week of June at the earliest. Just interested at the interpretation of this?

I normally fish with my brother, so the thought of trying to launch and retrieve myself isn't really an option. Besides he handles the bait side including king rag!
Old 11 May 2020, 11:16   #22

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
How does this work - if a member of your family who would normally crew the boat isn't in the same household? In Scotland - we're starting the next 3 week lock-down, so potentially first week of June at the earliest. Just interested at the interpretation of this?

I normally fish with my brother, so the thought of trying to launch and retrieve myself isn't really an option. Besides he handles the bait side including king rag!
It's a pretty straight forward. You can go out and go boating, but as before anything you do can only be with people from your household. If you can't do that then it's still a no.
Old 11 May 2020, 11:18   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Nothing to interpret - that is outside the scope of what was "described" last night.
Old 11 May 2020, 12:03   #24

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I am desperate to launch my refitted Ribtec, with it's new to it/me Yamaha 90hp. Its taken me near on two and half years to get it finished and it's 99% there and definitely ready for a sea trial or 3.

But I won't be going out in it for a while yet.

I think it is madness at this stage, and agree the RYA should be showing a lot more caution.

Stay safe guys.
Old 11 May 2020, 12:04   #25

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Nothing to interpret - that is outside the scope of what was "described" last night.
Thanks Tim and Poly. Just need to be patient then. Let's see what the next few weeks bring.
Old 11 May 2020, 12:11   #26

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'm quite keen to get afloat too but the RYA say, "all types of boating", what including flotillas of racing dinghies (changing facilities, frequent rescue boat use, very close sailing)?
I thought the RYA announcement was relatively clear by saying "Any activity will still need to be alone or with members of a single household, and social distancing must be followed at all times." i.e. to me that still restricts e.g. group dinghy racing where you are close to other people and can't respect social distancing, need to share changing/shower facilities, etc?

It also says they will issue more detailed guidance by Wednesday for clubs and training centres once the actual gov doc is made available today, which will hopefully enable them to answer some of these types of questions more granularly, and/or give some recommendations.

As with the previous lockdown announcements, there's clearly going to be a certain amount of confusion with what exactly is/isn't allowed, and when you can do things!
Old 11 May 2020, 12:26   #27

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I'm actually disappointed the RYA are blindly encouraging it. The RYA should have proposed a much more structured return...

I'm with Poly here. The RYA headline "RYA welcomes return to boating" on their press release yesterday is too bold, too encouraging and too simplistic when two thirds of the way down that statement they effectively say they need to know more from today's Gov document before they can say what will/won't be allowed...

The RYA will review the Government guidance due to be published on Monday, 11 May. The guidance is expected to contain a level of detail that will enable the RYA to issue further advice and guidance for RYA Members, Affiliated Clubs and Training Centres before Wednesday, 13 May. Where there is any uncertainty within the guidelines we will seek urgent clarification.

Until we have seen the Government guidelines in detail, we cannot speculate on when Clubs and Training Centres will be able to reopen their doors. We look forward to seeing the further guidance within the Government’s three step plan.
Old 11 May 2020, 13:35   #28

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
The RYA have excluded club and teaching activity for now, they are encouraging only single household recreation.
Old 11 May 2020, 17:45   #29

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
No guidance yet from my local harbour authorities - Dart / Torbay on opening access to slips & other facilities. It may be taking some time for them to correctly & clearly interpret the new rules / parameters before communicating to local users.

MDL is stating providing social distancing is met you can now access the marina check / do maintenance on your boat, but you are not able to get out yet, which they term "frustrating".

Lunasea's staying on the drive at home till I'm sure I can get her on the dock and be able to use her.

I'm sure we'll see some clarity over next few days. As I'm still working, I can't do owt before the weekend anyway.
Old 11 May 2020, 20:12   #30

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
We (here at KB Dry Stack) are awaiting conformation from QHM, but we are expecting to be able to launch our recreational Dry Stack clients as of Thursday morning. Can't see the problem with people going out for recreational purposes. We have of course put in protocols to ensure we can maintain social distancing, along with hygiene measures. We intend to be open for recreational business very soon.
Old 11 May 2020, 20:27   #31

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
I'm thinking of going out fishing at the weekend if the slipway is open again and the weather forecast is good. BUT I do only live 10 mins from the slip, I already have full tank of fuel and a serviced engine, I will be taking an Aux with its spare fuel and I've ensured by brother in law is also out and about in his boat just incase one of us gets into difficulty we are then hopefully able to assist each other if needed rather than needing to rely on emergency services. I hope to be able to make a few inshore fishing trips without needing to come into potential contact with anyone at all.

Edit I've personally ruled out any scuba diving as I think this has greater risk potential for needing external help of something was to go wrong.
Old 12 May 2020, 13:02   #32

Town: Southampton
Boat name: WOLF
Make: QUINQUARI HUMBER 8.5
Engine: 2x 200
Now correct me if im wrong. I interpret that regradless of what RYA say the Harbour Authority still need to allow a return to recreational boating. So for all Solent Bashers launching anywhere west of Lepe should be ok if ABP do not get on board?
Old 12 May 2020, 13:21   #33

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
As I understand it, the people controlling the Solent based harbours and ports are meeting today to decide how to procede. We expect that decision shortly.

Due to the fact that the measures were introduced largely on the advice of the RYA, we can hope that the new advice from them has some sway on the decision.

Slightly different here in Portsmouth in as much as the harbour was never actually closed it was simply a LNTM issed by QHM (and citing the RYA advice) which advised against recreational boating. I would hope (and have asked) for this LNTM to be cancelled.

We'll see what happens

Fingers crossed

Steve
Old 12 May 2020, 13:24   #34

Thank Steve,

Keep us posted...
Old 12 May 2020, 14:24   #35

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
deleted. Not valid comment after re reading posts!
Old 12 May 2020, 15:10   #36

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Due to the fact that the measures were introduced largely on the advice of the RYA, we can hope that the new advice from them has some sway on the decision.
I think the RYA advice was a handy coincidence for them, ports and marinas were going to close anyway on the basis that there was a travel ban in place.

Why they are being slow to recognise that the travel ban is being lifted from tomorrow confuses me, but then so much does!
Old 12 May 2020, 16:03   #37

https://www.ibinews.com/marinas/uk-m.../36299.article

The Flood gates are literally open - Whos next?
Old 12 May 2020, 16:56   #38

Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Salcombe harbour authority are meeting to discuss this right now. Should be an update on their website tomorrow.
Old 12 May 2020, 17:14   #39

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
Salcombe harbour authority are meeting to discuss this right now. Should be an update on their website tomorrow.
This is what I’m waiting to hear! I launch at kingsbridge mostly.
Old 12 May 2020, 17:22   #40

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Latest from QHM:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/QHM/Por...W2JJlMqaS7a71o