Old 23 April 2004, 06:27   #1

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Slipway help required.

After many years of our diving club using only inflatables that we can carry down almost ant beach, we now have a Humber 5.5m rib & have to use slipways to launch.
Now I know of a few slipways on the south coast a was wondering if anyone knew of any others on the south coast, or any close to the Lizard in Cornwall. (going on holiday there in September)
The slipways that we currently use are Bognor Regis (behind Butlins) & Bracklesham Bay, if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 23 April 2004, 06:35   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Go to : http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/ one of the most useful boating sites on the internet.

Keith Hart
Old 23 April 2004, 11:31   #3

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
I would recomend Grove Place in falmouth or Penzance Yacht Club.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2004, 13:05   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwabbit
The slipways that we currently use are Bognor Regis (behind Butlins) & Bracklesham Bay, if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Never found any good slipways on this part of the coast were you could launch and park easily. If its the Mulberry units you are after then we normally launch from Portsmouth and motor round Selsey. Chi harbour has lots of slips as does Hayling Island so that might be a better option. Or come West from Littlehampton.

Pete
Old 23 April 2004, 15:15   #5

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
If you take the rib down to Porthkerris, they will launch your boat over the beach with a tractor (for a fee). The beach there is too steep for normal cars (the tractor can struggle).

You can also launch at Porthoustock with a 4x4 down the beach (stony beach, shallow angle)

If you're into living dangerously, have a big 4x4, you can launch on kennack sands beach, but its not advisable.

Ricky
Old 23 April 2004, 15:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorper
If you take the rib down to Porthkerris, they will launch your boat over the beach with a tractor (for a fee). The beach there is too steep for normal cars (the tractor can struggle).

You can also launch at Porthoustock with a 4x4 down the beach (stony beach, shallow angle)

If you're into living dangerously, have a big 4x4, you can launch on kennack sands beach, but its not advisable.

Ricky
Ricky,

I don’t suppose you have a contact number for the tractor driver at Porthkerris do you?

We will be staying at Kennack Sands for a week in September; we have been there for the last 3 years running with the inflatables & we usually launch from Porthoustock. We have seen the fun people have trying to launch ribs from there. Last year there were 2 4X4’s roped together one at the top & the other at the bottom of the beach, with the trailer and rib on the back & an incoming tide. The rope was a chunky piece of kit but when it snapped it shot up the beach smashing the back window out of the top 4X4, and the driver of this vehicle was burred under all the rope that had come inside the vehicle. They were lucky because a local put them in touch with a farmer, who just got there with his tractor before the water reached the bottom 4X4. We don’t want to end up in the same situation but we would like to use our new toy. So if we could get in touch with this tractor driver at Porthkerris it would be worth paying to launch.

P.s. have you been in the Five Pilchards?

My god do they do large portions !!!! and as for their chocolate fudge cake WOW!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 April 2004, 08:53   #7

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
Porthkerris have there own website, excellent set-up and great diving, can also do a good dive from the shore (good night dive). As for other info go onto Divernet( Diver magazines website) and do a search for Porthkerris or the Manacles I know they have done a few articles. Had a few summers diving from Portkerris's shuttles and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 26 April 2004, 08:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot
Porthkerris have there own website, excellent set-up and great diving, can also do a good dive from the shore (good night dive). As for other info go onto Divernet( Diver magazines website) and do a search for Porthkerris or the Manacles I know they have done a few articles. Had a few summers diving from Portkerris's shuttles and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks for your help I have now found their web site
Old 26 April 2004, 11:45   #9

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
There is some great diving around there - the porthkerris staff can help out with times for slack water and advice on diving on the wrecks and reefs.

For shore diving - try diving around the rocks near the MOD building at one end of the beach.

I've no been to the 5 pilchards before. We usually drink at the kennack sands inn (lots of doom bar!) and at the sea acres club.

Ricky