Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 24 April 2004, 17:16   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
The best way to clean your RIB!

Having tried a load of products to clean my RIB, I have finally found one that does the job! I bought this stuff actually to clean an old outboard that had been sitting in the water for a while. It's a spray; simply spray on, wait three minutes, then wipe off with a cloth (or hose off). It worked wonders on the engine.
Anyway, was doing the same again today with the engine on my RIB (just been out and it was covered in nasty looking stuff). I got a bit of it on the RIB, wiped it off, and saw the potential! I ended up spraying it all over the tubes and giving them a good clean - gets off grease, oil, rubber stains from the pontoon, just about everything.
I really do recommend it as a non-abrasive RIB cleaner. I paid £2 for a 146g bottle (although it was on special offer because the shop had a load of cans with broken nozzles). It's made by 3M and is called "Citrus base cleaner". Another great point about it is that it's made from lemons and oranges, so makes your RIB smell nice too!
PS. Don't get it on grass - kills it almost instantly!
Old 25 April 2004, 16:12   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
What material are your tubes made from?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2004, 18:29   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
My tubes are hypalon. This stuff is the bees-knees, and it doesn't kill you! (Just any grass you may spell it on)
Old 25 April 2004, 21:54   #4

Town: At Home
Boat name: home boy
Hull

On the subject of cleaning Hulls - what is the best/easiest method of removing growth from it after 2 weeks left in the water.

Weed isn't a problem I have noticed what appears to be clear pimples - baby barnicles I would think - and don't want to come off.

Any ideas folks

Ruff Ruff
Old 26 April 2004, 08:41   #5

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I like Mr Muscle spray cleaner with Orange, works pretty well at cleaning greasy fingerprints off most things.

For more stubborn grease & dirt, I like either Jizer or Gunk, both of which are water soluble degreasing agents available from most motor factors, and paint brush to help stipple the them off. IMHO, Gunk is the more effective one at shifting dirt & grease, but if you're rinsing it off onto tarmac you need to rinse the tarmac very well as it also softens that too!
I also tried Comma TFR as recommended here before and by Andy at bosunsmate. It's quite good as an everyday cleaner when you're washing down, equivalent in use , but better than, car wash shampoo.

There is a time and place for solvent based cleaners, but I limit the use of solvent based products to small parts (e.g carb components) or for small spot areas to remove glue or something. Always in a well ventilated area away from any sources of ignition. If you're doing more than a very small amount, or in a closed space, Halfords sell a reasonable quality facemask that has repleable filter elements on it that is designed to absorb the fumes. (You have to buy the correct filter element though!)

I've never found a way to remove the barnacle feet. Tried a number of different products on my drives, in the end I either shotblasted or sanded them off. Not much good on tubes I guess.