Old 15 August 2020, 17:12   #81

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
So close now

Self amalgamating tape is useful for sealing a joint, in this case the VHF connectors.

I don’t really like having this joint but it’ll do for now

Wrapped in some electrical tape to finish

Had to run the engine to make the power steering pump run to bleed the air out and check for leaks

Don’t have any muffs (been running in a tank up to now but no good for bleeding steering) so had to improvise

Wiring and pipes tidied up

Batteries mounted, might have to get a bigger battery or a smaller battery tray

No hydraulic leaks

VHF aerial mounted

It can be removed for transport

I tested everything today and all seems good. Autopilot works. Split charging works etc.

Now just got to put the seats back in and it’s go time
Old 17 August 2020, 05:47   #82

Console is basically finished

There is not a lot of space in the bottom of the console but enough for some tools and spares.

Cleaned the rubber cleats

Spent hours scrubbing the splashwell, felt as if it had never been cleaned before

Still need to make the spacers to pad the hinges out for the front seat over the locker door

This is much cheaper than the genuine Mercury Verado power steering fluid...

After hours of polishing, fitted the front seats again

Old 17 August 2020, 14:29   #83

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Loving the thread as I have two Cobras. What have you cleaned the cleats with and have you tackled the rubbing strakes yet as I can’t find anything that gets/keeps them clean. Great workmanship hope you enjoy the boat.
Old 17 August 2020, 16:47   #84

Town: South East
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Loving the thread as I have two Cobras. What have you cleaned the cleats with and have you tackled the rubbing strakes yet as I can’t find anything that gets/keeps them clean. Great workmanship hope you enjoy the boat.
+1 would also like to know what you used to clean the rubber cleats and splash well.

The rubber cleats seem to go discoloured, I guess in part due to UV/ general muck - be good to get them light again!
Old 17 August 2020, 20:49   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Thanks, how come you have two Cobras?

I cleaned them with carb cleaner which cut through the grime in one wipe but I imagine any strong solvent would have a similar effect. The rubbing strokes will come up like new as well but I’d try it on a small hidden bit first to check you don’t get some crazy reaction.
Old 17 August 2020, 20:58   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamble Don View Post
+1 would also like to know what you used to clean the rubber cleats and splash well.

The rubber cleats seem to go discoloured, I guess in part due to UV/ general muck - be good to get them light again!
As above most faded plastic can be restored with a strong solvent that almost wipes the top layer of the plastic off to reveal the new plastic beneath. I used it on the plastic locker doors as well which turned from a disgusting yellow colour back to near brilliant white.

For cleaning the splash well you just need a tub of oxalic acid and a scouring pad. Mix a spoonful of oxalic acid grains into a cup of water and the stains will literally wipe right off. You might want to wear gloves as it’ll burn your hands a bit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXALIC-AC...M/184364923726

Once you have got the stains lifted just use the heaviest grade of polish you can find and then wax it to stop it staining again.
If you’ve got any oil stains carb cleaner will again wipe them off and won’t have any effect on the fibreglass
Old 17 August 2020, 21:07   #87

Today’s progress, getting a bit fed up with how long all these last little bits are taking.
I also know I’ve got to rip it all out again in a few months to put the fake teak deck in

Anyway, had to make some spacers for the suicide cushion in front of the console to make space for the new locker behind it.

A bit of acrylic left over from the console was perfect thickness

Ready to bolt back on, forgot to take a photo of it fitted but you can hardly notice the locker behind it and all still fits perfectly.

Fitted the helm seats again, these things seem uncomfortable to me I think I’m going to have to redesign them. I’m not sealing them down as I know they have to come back out again for the decking. Also need to get a better hatch for the fuel sender access.

If the weather cooperates I think we are going to try and put it in the water tomorrow
Any advice on launching a 7.5m boat for someone who’s never launched or barely driven a boat before I think I prefer fixing them to operating them
Old 18 August 2020, 08:25   #88

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Engine: Mercury 350
One in the UK and one in Portugal. The seats work very well as a leaning post arrangement, protect the back when it is choppy. I never use them as a seat.
Old 18 August 2020, 17:32   #89

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I'm late to your party, if you did do a maiden voyage today I hope it went well. You've made a good thread with some very nice work, I'm not wishing to be critical but two things worry me a little; your batteries and some of your main wiring appear to be below flood level and consoles suffer from a good deal of condensation so effective vents are a good thing to keep all the connectors/connections good, not to mention controlling the mildew which will form.

Let us know how today went if you got out on the water.
Old 18 August 2020, 21:34   #90

Old 19 August 2020, 11:49   #91

Cool, well done!
Old 29 August 2020, 21:39   #92

Not updated this thread for a while as I threw the rib back together and have been out and about on it having fun : )
The rebuild thread will continue in the winter as I need to rip it all out again to put the fake teak in and build some sort of canvas top to give a bit of sun shade. But that’s a winter project.

Spent a long time ummhing and aaahhing about an auxiliary engine but decided that considering the power of our tides and dangerous shorelines, a 5hp outboard was going to be as much use as a chocolate teapot if something goes catastrophically wrong with the main.

Instead I decided on a decent anchor and 110m of warp that should mean I can safely anchor almost anywhere and buy me some whilst I fix the main engine or await a tow...

Bought some cheap fenders to use as temporary protection when coming alongside a rough quay and figured they may have other uses.

There is a degree of irony in that the charplotter spends most of its time with a clock showing so we don’t overrun and run out of water as the tide goes out...

Some strawberries were enjoyed whilst hanging off the silly little folding grapple anchor that came with the boat (much easier to haul back in).

North Devon is utterly crap facilities wise for boating, but we do have some pretty lovely scenery and are normally the only boat for miles.
Gradually getting more confident and planning some longer excursions soon.

Old 29 August 2020, 21:49   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I'm late to your party, if you did do a maiden voyage today I hope it went well. You've made a good thread with some very nice work, I'm not wishing to be critical but two things worry me a little; your batteries and some of your main wiring appear to be below flood level and consoles suffer from a good deal of condensation so effective vents are a good thing to keep all the connectors/connections good, not to mention controlling the mildew which will form.

Let us know how today went if you got out on the water.
Sorry for such a slow reply.

All criticism gratefully received

Re the batteries - yes they are below ‘flood’ level if you stuffed the boat spectacularly, but I’m not sure what I could do about that. I think the inside of the console would stay fairly dry as I imagine it could drain into the bilge faster than water could seep through the door hatch.
Given the weight of the batteries (60 odd kg) I don’t know how I could realistically elevate them. Before they were at the back of the boat at transom level which seemed far more vulnerable.

I don’t think there is very much wiring below flood level (top of tubes) apart from the battery cables themselves and the cables that go under the deck.

Re a vent, I’m on the fence about this. The boat is stored inside so I’ve just been leaving the hatch open but it all stays pretty dry.
I thought about a vent but that seems a good way to let kids of salty spray in. What have others done?

The console is kind of vented indirectly via the bilges of the boat which are all open to air.

Did have a near miss today as nearly put it in without putting the bung in first. Luckily I noticed the auto bilge pumps firing water over the transom and realised my mistake... won’t do that again but it was good to see that the bilge pumps were having no problem keeping up.
Old 30 August 2020, 08:28   #94

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Well done for getting it out and for some excellent work.
Old 30 August 2020, 13:00   #95

Yeh, the battery thing..my concern is that you're relying on bilge pumps to empty the boat but your bilge pump electrical supply could be submerged. As you say, the water will need to sneek in through spaces to flood the batteries but than might happen faster than you imagine when you've just taken a ton or more of water onboard. Obviously it's your boat your choice but I'd have 'em up on a shelf inside the console with that big, fat wiring elevated too.

Nice pics btw.
Old 30 August 2020, 14:06   #96

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Yeh, the battery thing..my concern is that you're relying on bilge pumps to empty the boat but your bilge pump electrical supply could be submerged. As you say, the water will need to sneek in through spaces to flood the batteries but than might happen faster than you imagine when you've just taken a ton or more of water onboard. Obviously it's your boat your choice but I'd have 'em up on a shelf inside the console with that big, fat wiring elevated too.

Nice pics btw.

I’ve been wondering the same in my renovation project (which is taking about 10x longer than this thread, massive credit due there!!!). I haven’t fitted the batteries yet but I can’t see a way of elevating them. I am in the middle of creating and fitting a new shelf into the console, but the thought of putting so much weight in that shelf seemed a little daunting. I could try to reinforce the underside of the shelf perhaps to take the weight with added fibreglass but just not sure it would support it enough. So I had decided to put them in battery boxes inside the rear bench seat ... I guess there is a possibility in a major stuffing to see water ingress via hatches and vents ...... as per the OP I wonder how most people place their double batteries given the weight?
Old 30 August 2020, 14:34   #97

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Mine are on the deck in the console but I've got quite a lot of sheer, a relatively low transom and big freeing ports.

I think it is just one of those compromises that you make.
Old 30 August 2020, 17:56   #98

My present Delta has a glassed in shelf right across the console about half way up height wise. The batteries are held with a ratchet strap over their centres. On my early Humber I mounted each battery, one each side, on a tray bolted through the console sides and it had one leg to deck on the unsupported corner. The batteries had mouldings each end for a clamp plate so it was only necessary to make up two plates per battery with one bolt through the plate and tray at each end to tighten down the plate as a clamp. No risk of short circuits with either method of clamping.

On a typical rib the batteries are absolutely essential so I start the rigging design by placing them first.
Old 25 October 2020, 23:08   #99

Engine: Inboard Diesel
Would battery boxes not suffice in the console? We have been caught out in all conditions and never had a drop of water in.
Nice work with the electrics by the way. I need to do something similar.
Old 26 October 2020, 21:45   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by James8.6 View Post
Would battery boxes not suffice in the console? We have been caught out in all conditions and never had a drop of water in.
Nice work with the electrics by the way. I need to do something similar.
I thought about battery boxes but they all seem very crappy.

And anyway, I don’t see why the batteries are going to be knackered as a result of the sea water immersion.
They are both completely sealed gel batteries and I’d bet money they’d continue to work completely submersed. A complete non issue imo