Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 May 2014, 06:59   #1
Member
 
captain's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: crawley
Boat name: mistress III
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 HP
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 61
PAN PAN Sunday

Hi All

I was out in Chichester harbour on Sunday and heard a PAN PAN regarding a light aircraft ditching off the isle of wight. Didn't here how it resolved and just wondered if anybody heard anything.

Pete
__________________

__________________
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 07:18   #2
Member
 
Ribochet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 930
A PAN PAN is not the call I would associate with a light aircraft ditching
__________________

__________________
Maximum Preparation - Maximum Fun
Ribochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 07:24   #3
Member
 
Ralphy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Make: Zodiac Medline
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F70
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 55
Nothing was found, treated as false alarm

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/coas...9256.aspx?mn=3
__________________
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 08:14   #4
Member
 
HughN's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 732
You caulkheads get upset if teased about parochialism but phrases such as "as far afield as Sandown Bay" doesn't help dispel this!
__________________
"Can ye model it? For if ye can, ye understand it, and if ye canna, ye dinna!" - Lord kelvin
HughN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 08:33   #5
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,612
Didn't the same thing happen last year.?
__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 10:29   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 398
I got the one off Portsmouth about 2 divers who had expired their return time....
__________________
Wibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 11:01   #7
Member
 
captain's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: crawley
Boat name: mistress III
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 HP
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 61
I got that one too thankfully it was resolved and they were picked up.

Glad to hear the light aircraft one was just a false alarm.

Cheers
__________________
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 11:27   #8
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
You caulkheads get upset if teased about parochialism but phrases such as "as far afield as Sandown Bay" doesn't help dispel this!
Caulkheads?
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 11:35   #9
Member
 
Ralphy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Make: Zodiac Medline
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F70
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Caulkheads?
Term for the people who are born on the Isle of Wight
__________________
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 13:08   #10
Member
 
tim griffin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Term for the people who are born on the Isle of Wight
S'right nipper
Tim
__________________
Tim Griffin
RYA Freelance YMI power Powerboat and PWC instructor trainer vhf first aid sea survival Diesel engine radar and navigation instructor
tim griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 14:53   #11
Member
 
lukewhiting's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 965
I heard that too! Along with a call to the coastguard about a jetskiier with a spinal injury in poole harbour entrance
__________________
lukewhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 16:13   #12
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,612
Just did a search i was a year out, there was a similar false alarm about a light aircraft on 12th may 2012.

As to the jet skier incident, i did spot a number of jet skiers being w kers near the entrance to poole harbour at about 3.30pm was thinking of calling harbour master but didnt bother as they never seem to do much and as i had earlier in the day on way out of harbour entrance behind the harbour master who completly ignored a large powerboat speeding down the channel to the entrance there is no point.

Shame chap was injured and i hope he recovers but im not surprised, there are too many incidences with jet skiers in that area. Probably the harbour master too busy but there are other volunteers available, more enforcement in that area may save a life.

Some jet skiers like that area due to the waves and due to the boat wakes.
__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 16:22   #13
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain View Post
Hi All

I was out in Chichester harbour on Sunday and heard a PAN PAN regarding a light aircraft ditching off the isle of wight. Didn't here how it resolved and just wondered if anybody heard anything.

Pete
I heard this too, but was Saturday as I was fishing off Selsey. I also heard the pan pan for the divers. 15 minutes late surfacing, skipper raised the alarm. Glad they were okay, but why can't they stick to the timescales?
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 16:50   #14
Member
 
Ovey's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 615
RIBase
The thing is that they may have run into difficulty underwater that prevented them from coming up on time. If they'd gone into deco then they would have had to complete their stops on the way up too. It depends on the type of dive they were doing and the kit they were wearing.

Not knowing the full details I'm not defending them, just offering a potential reason. But good on the skipper for raising the alarm & I'm pleased all were ok.


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
There's weather out there - must be time to RIB!

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 17:13   #15
Member
 
lukewhiting's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Just did a search i was a year out, there was a similar false alarm about a light aircraft on 12th may 2012.



As to the jet skier incident, i did spot a number of jet skiers being w kers near the entrance to poole harbour at about 3.30pm was thinking of calling harbour master but didnt bother as they never seem to do much and as i had earlier in the day on way out of harbour entrance behind the harbour master who completly ignored a large powerboat speeding down the channel to the entrance there is no point.



Shame chap was injured and i hope he recovers but im not surprised, there are too many incidences with jet skiers in that area. Probably the harbour master too busy but there are other volunteers available, more enforcement in that area may save a life.



Some jet skiers like that area due to the waves and due to the boat wakes.

I heard on the VHF at the time he was jumping the wake off a rib & came off. The rib stopped and called coastguard cause he didn't have a VHF. It was just as the ferry left the harbour, the pilot was on scene pretty swiftly followed by the helicopter! Watched it all from my work at studland sea school
__________________
lukewhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 17:26   #16
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,864
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
at the time he was jumping the wake off a rib & came off.
Proof that God exists, IMO.
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 17:41   #17
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Proof that God exists, IMO.
I had 5 jetskis following my RIB a few years ago jumping my wake on a flat calm day. I just throttled down to tickover till they fecked off
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 04:14   #18
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
I heard on the VHF at the time he was jumping the wake off a rib & came off. The rib stopped and called coastguard cause he didn't have a VHF. It was just as the ferry left the harbour, the pilot was on scene pretty swiftly followed by the helicopter! Watched it all from my work at studland sea school
Sounds about right, I had a jet skier last year come within about 7metres of my outboard when underway at around 25 knots, I told him to f off in very clear language.
__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 06:43   #19
Member
 
Oscarguitar's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 381
Mostly I just let them get on with it, sometimes throttle back to give a bigger wake for them to jump.

Hope the injured skier was OK tho.
__________________
Oscarguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 07:45   #20
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarguitar View Post
Mostly I just let them get on with it, sometimes throttle back to give a bigger wake for them to jump.

Hope the injured skier was OK tho.
Your part of the problem then ! LOL
__________________

__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.