Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 02 September 2020, 15:59   #1

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Now I think that Ticks most of the Boxes

I think for a light Rib that can handle most conditions and can also easily accommodate a small to average family but also be excellent as a boat a single person can easily manage. I think the new Highfield Ocean Master 4.6 is the one I would go for if I ever bought new

https://www.highfieldboats.com/ocean-master-460/

Just get rid of the Honda and put a Mercury or Mariner 80 HP M on the back and a nice roller trailer for Extreme and you would have a lovely set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.6 H.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	134880  
Old 02 September 2020, 16:21   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
They are pretty much all easy to single handed handle once launched
Old 02 September 2020, 16:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
They are pretty much all easy to single handed handle once launched
I was meaning to Launch and Recover easily
Old 02 September 2020, 16:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
I was meaning to Launch and Recover easily
That’s more a function of launch location/Technique than the vessel.

Hand balling over a pebble beach vs nice clean hard ramp into still water with a jetty alongside etc

I’m sure highfield are nice boats but single handed launch and recovery can be a pain I’ve done it it’s always much easier with a second third pair of (Experienced or controlled )hands
Old 02 September 2020, 18:34   #5

Quote:
That’s more a function of launch location/Technique than the vessel.

Hand balling over a pebble beach vs nice clean hard ramp into still water with a jetty alongside etc

I’m sure highfield are nice boats but single handed launch and recovery can be a pain I’ve done it it’s always much easier with a second third pair of (Experienced or controlled )hands
I launch my 4.5 m Rib on my own most of the time and where I launch it is easy with the 4.5. Much over 4.5 at my launch site and it becomes difficult
Old 02 September 2020, 18:36   #6

I just found a box that it does not tick. I asked for a quote from my local boat company and I was informed that they can only quote with Honda Engines. That amazed me and as I dislike the look of Honda Engines there is no way I would part with the sort of cash that this would be and have something I did not like the look of
Old 02 September 2020, 18:47   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
...and I was informed that they can only quote with Honda Engines. That amazed me and as I dislike the look of Honda Engines...
How so Amazed? It's very common in the boat world - ever wonder why Ribeye all seem to have Yamayeehas? There are a lot of reasons why it happens.

It's a pity they don't please your eye - back to the drawing board I guess...
Old 02 September 2020, 19:05   #8

Length: 3m +
More than one aluminium hill supplier. Some will even let you change engine to one that is prettier...

(Who TF buys an engine based on prettiness...?)
Old 02 September 2020, 19:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
More than one aluminium hill supplier. Some will even let you change engine to one that is prettier...

If I am going to spend on the order of £23K I am going to have the engine I want.

If you think a silver lump of lard on the back looks good then go for it.

With outboards I think the look of them is a huge selling point and to me Honda's just look horrible..... Personal choice maybe but that is how I feel
Old 02 September 2020, 19:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post

It was the layout and the console that I liked and the general look of the boat. I just hate the engine
Old 02 September 2020, 20:14   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
It was the layout and the console that I liked and the general look of the boat. I just hate the engine
It's a nice layout - IIRC there were a couple of these on the RI2013 - solid boats that gave no issues. Would they sell you a boat with no engine and let you go elsewhere? I'd agree that I'd want my choice of engine - but then I'd have to accept that I'd be on my own where there were warranty issues that fell between say, Electronics/Engine management or Hull/Engine performance.

From personal experience, I can say that it's a major bonus when your boat builder has a very strong relationship with the engine manufacturer. You get the support/benefit of the doubt and the builder gets the discount...

Old 02 September 2020, 20:22   #12

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
I launch my 4.5 m Rib on my own most of the time and where I launch it is easy with the 4.5. Much over 4.5 at my launch site and it becomes difficult
Does the size of the boat make much difference to the ease of launching / recovering it?

I launch my 7.5m pretty much single handed, reverse trailer down slip, climb into boat, reach over and unclip, reverse off. Hand boat to gf to hold at steps and park trailer

Recovering is pretty much the opposite. Reverse trailer down then drive into trailer and lean over the bow and clip the strap on before taking out of gear.

What does the second person do?
Old 02 September 2020, 21:02   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
...Hand boat to gf to hold at steps and park trailer...
What does the second person do?
Seems she holds the boat at the steps? Did you forget her?

But the answer in any case is Moral Support.

Old 02 September 2020, 21:12   #14

Quote:
Pretty much any “builder” rather than agent for overseas manufactured boats will build you exactly what you desire and give you free choice on engine colour, however the highfield is a mass produced catalogue boat, I’m sure XS, Humber, rib craft Etc would build one to your needs.......

Im after a 5m ish rib with SXS console and towable without need a B+E and options are limited if I had the budget the highfield would probably be on my shortlist I think I would prefer a grey motor but as long as it isn’t white I’d be happy!
Old 02 September 2020, 21:20   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Pretty much any “builder” rather than agent for overseas manufactured boats will build you exactly what you desire and give you free choice on engine colour, however the highfield is a mass produced catalogue boat, I’m sure XS, Humber, rib craft Etc would build one to your needs.......
No, he wants a Number 78 Chef's Special with a side of Engine of his Choice. The boats you mention are too "agricultural" looking. Or "silver", I get confused...

Hey - I'm sure Highfield could SPRAY a Honda engine in Mariner Silver to keep him happy.

TBH, I'm not sure what the problem with Honda is - they're a GREAT trolling engine...

Old 02 September 2020, 21:51   #16

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
Does the size of the boat make much difference to the ease of launching / recovering it?
It can depend on the trailer setup, the slipway/marina setup, level of preparedness, confidence in towing/reversing and how much walking/running around you like to do!

I very happily launch/recover our 9m RIB by myself on a brilliant Bramber roller trailer, takes a certain amount of preparation, but also the yacht club we launch at is relatively well set up with berths right by the slipways, so you don't have to motor a long way to leave the boat, come back for car/trailer, etc.

If someone is around to help, then wonderful, I don't have to berth the boat immediately after launching, walk back to car, wash/tow trailer away, etc., so is a bit more efficient overall.

But given that size of boat means a pretty hefty and long trailer to hitch up, manoeuvre, etc., it absolutely is easier with my little 4m TomKat RIB, which I can basically hand launch off it's bunked trailer!
Old 02 September 2020, 22:09   #17

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Think you can get a tohatsu engine in honda silver ,or maybe its a honda engine in tohatsu colours ,i hav,nt got a clue ,mabe thats the wrong size catogory ,i dont know !
must confess probhably regret selling my highfield ,great family layouts i must agree , but with the dollar now alot stronger than previous times there seems little advantage price wise
Old 03 September 2020, 07:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Seems she holds the boat at the steps? Did you forget her?

But the answer in any case is Moral Support.

Well yes but the point was a big boat or a small boat makes very little difference to getting it on/off the trailer.

If you’ve got to park the car you either need somewhere to tie up or someone to hold the boat.
Old 03 September 2020, 08:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
It can depend on the trailer setup, the slipway/marina setup, level of preparedness, confidence in towing/reversing and how much walking/running around you like to do!

I very happily launch/recover our 9m RIB by myself on a brilliant Bramber roller trailer, takes a certain amount of preparation, but also the yacht club we launch at is relatively well set up with berths right by the slipways, so you don't have to motor a long way to leave the boat, come back for car/trailer, etc.

If someone is around to help, then wonderful, I don't have to berth the boat immediately after launching, walk back to car, wash/tow trailer away, etc., so is a bit more efficient overall.

But given that size of boat means a pretty hefty and long trailer to hitch up, manoeuvre, etc., it absolutely is easier with my little 4m TomKat RIB, which I can basically hand launch off it's bunked trailer!
I suppose I agree with that. You still have the same problem of finding somewhere to tie the small boat up though so you can park.

I hadn’t considered the larger trailer. I’ve spent my life shunting farm machinery and lorries around singlehanded, a (9m) boat trailer is still a tonka toy
Old 03 September 2020, 08:24   #20

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
You've got a definite advantage then - I think a few minutes observation at most slipways would demonstrate not everyone has the same ability, even on much smaller trailers!