Old 18 February 2010, 16:34   #21

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
the date is about right, how does yours handle with the changes etc Pics!!
Old 18 February 2010, 17:00   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Please let me know what you think,any improvments let me know [/quote] Console looks odd at the starboard side of the helmsman - is there an empty seat there with not cushion?

Looks like you've got a single console for a helm with a double behind it for the navigator etc. Guess the electronic toys will be at this position - will you always have a 2nd competent person on boat to use these? otherwise they'll be useless to the helm...
Old 18 February 2010, 18:00   #23

Town: manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Please let me know what you think,any improvments let me know
Console looks odd at the starboard side of the helmsman - is there an empty seat there with not cushion?

Looks like you've got a single console for a helm with a double behind it for the navigator etc. Guess the electronic toys will be at this position - will you always have a 2nd competent person on boat to use these? otherwise they'll be useless to the helm... [/quote]

Hi polwart , engine controls are going on the starboard side on the part that is right of the helmsman .Most of the toys will be up front but the will be a music player with ipod and a 2nd vhf behind daughter wants her own area
Old 18 February 2010, 18:13   #24

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I would be tempted to reverse the seating arrangement and put a large screen up front. I love mine for that as it is nice in cold weather to have the wind whiped over you plus you can talk to whoever is on the boat, point things out, argue etc
Old 18 February 2010, 18:13   #25
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKSTORM View Post
Hi polwart , engine controls are going on the starboard side on the part that is right of the helmsman
mmm... so the helmsman can only leave his seat to port? if he comes alongside a pontoon or other boat on the startboard side he has to walk all the way round the console to tie up. Maybe thats not an issue - I guess some bigger boats have this issue with double jockeys at the front - it just struck me as awkward when on a smaller boat... ...I think I'd want to have tried that set up out before experimenting with serious cash.
Old 18 February 2010, 18:17   #26

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
mmm... so the helmsman can only leave his seat to port? if he comes alongside a pontoon or other boat on the startboard side he has to walk all the way round the console to tie up. Maybe thats not an issue - I guess some bigger boats have this issue with double jockeys at the front - it just struck me as awkward when on a smaller boat... ...I think I'd want to have tried that set up out before experimenting with serious cash.
He'd be better off with an alloy frame like on the Atlantic's. That way you can still have the throttles in that postion but have accessto starboard.
The layout is like a Lifeboat that Ribcraft fitted out.
Old 18 February 2010, 18:21   #27

Hi chewy
just to let you know it is a alloy frame powder coated black
Old 18 February 2010, 18:22   #28
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
I am interested in the planned use for the new craft, It is 5.85 and has three seats which does seem a low number on board and in that arrangement may restrict options later or even on re sale. Having just put together a Ribtec 585 with twin double jockeys and a forward consul seat I have more room, but I do like the look of it
Old 18 February 2010, 18:25   #29

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribcraft%205801%20(5).jpg
Views:	323
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	49243

Hi all this is what the console looks like , i more of the old score on ribs dont like the sports bling ribs
Old 18 February 2010, 18:31   #30
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Hi all this is what the console looks like , i more of the old score on ribs dont like the sports bling ribs
No I like the style. But bear in mind that the lifeboat will never be out with just a helmsman on board (or a helmsman and a couple of clueless friends) whereas you might be. Chewy is suggesting getting rid of the box to your right and putting the throttle on some sort of bracket which is what the RNLI do. The rest of us manage with the throttle on the console so I'm not sure its strictly necessary anyway! If 3 seats is enough for your intended use then the general layout is good and the 'extra console' should provide loads of storage - something often lacking on smaller ribs.
Old 18 February 2010, 18:43   #31

Town: Dorset
Length: no boat
may be a cruiser console with two one man jockey seats and rear bench.That lay out would offer lots stowage space and a good amount of seating.
Old 18 February 2010, 19:04   #32

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Bench Seat

If you want a half price Ribcraft Deluxe swing back bench seat (ice white) in black with grey piping then call Dorian. It's ready drilled for an 8 point matrix with double hatches. Used approx 5 times. He's got mine lurking around the shop somewhere.(I hope!)
Old 18 February 2010, 19:16   #33

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
The boat looks superb. I almost went for black powder coat, but chickened out as I thought it mighten be to everyone's taste when it came to re-sale. The console/seating set-up is the best for a 585 IMV. It enables the console to be shoved way forward which adds to the rear deck space and keeps the nose planted. Roycruse had the same arrangement on his 585, it worked well.

Ditto what's been said re. radar mast. Bedajim had to beef his up massively to keep it in the air.
Shame about the soppy 60's. Would you not consider a 150 and an Aux?
Old 18 February 2010, 19:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
The boat looks superb. I almost went for black powder coat, but chickened out as I thought it mighten be to everyone's taste when it came to re-sale. The console/seating set-up is the best for a 585 IMV. It enables the console to be shoved way forward which adds to the rear deck space and keeps the nose planted. Roycruse had the same arrangement on his 585, it worked well.

Ditto what's been said re. radar mast. Bedajim had to beef his up massively to keep it in the air.
Shame about the soppy 60's. Would you not consider a 150 and an Aux?
Hi mollers the engines are not set in stone was looking at the suzi 140 four stroke also
Old 18 February 2010, 19:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
I am interested in the planned use for the new craft, It is 5.85 and has three seats which does seem a low number on board and in that arrangement may restrict options later or even on re sale. Having just put together a Ribtec 585 with twin double jockeys and a forward consul seat I have more room, but I do like the look of it
HI C2RIBS the rib is just for me i just wanted one how i would like , at the most the would only be 3 on at a time unless it was a big day out then the is allways then tubes lol .Its just for the family
Old 18 February 2010, 21:04   #36
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
HI C2RIBS the rib is just for me i just wanted one how i would like , at the most the would only be 3 on at a time unless it was a big day out then the is allways then tubes lol .Its just for the family
Excellent, I knew you would not have done all this without a great deal of thought, It looks a great set up for you and will wage well put together.
Old 18 February 2010, 21:56   #37

Quote:
Hi mollers the engines are not set in stone was looking at the suzi 140 four stroke also

Don't forget that there are outboards out there beyond Suzuki, despite what RC might tell you. The most suitable 150 IMV,would be the Etec. It offers the best compromise re. power, weight, noise, price. Transom weight would be an issue on the 585, so a 5/6hp 2st Aux would just about do the job with the minimum of added weight.
You'd have a superb rig with such a set-up.
Old 19 February 2010, 05:56   #38
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Please let me know what you think,any improvments let me know
Is there a particular reason why you've chosen the lifeboat style console, apart from the look of it? For a leisure boat I can't see any real advantage, but can think of a few disadvantages:

- you've only got seating for 3 when you could easily have 4
- the helm position is much further forward than it needs to be and as a result will have a less comfortable ride
- much less space on console for mounting plotter etc
- the narrow console won't give much protection to the driver
- as previously mentioned it's less sociable and can make communication less easy
- it will probably have a lower resale value than a more conventional setup

You've chosen a great boat, but I would have it with a wide console with 2 x double jockey seats or 2 x singles and a wraparound bench seat.
Old 19 February 2010, 07:13   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
.....and a wraparound bench seat.
Would that be with stripey, squidgy upholstery? Each to their own.
Old 19 February 2010, 08:46   #40

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
The boat looks superb!and with the 585's pedigree its the rarest of RIB's...one which no one ever seems to knock!!Even I would have to agree with Mollers though a single engine would compliment the layout perfectly,you can always add an auxiliary if you feel the need.I run a 130 e-tec on my RC 545[40cm shorter version]which gives me good economy,excellent top end[47+ knots]and doesn't compromise handling at all,having a great power to weight ratio.A 150 in my view would take some beating!!
What ever you decide you've chosen a great boat,and the best of luck with her!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote