Old 07 July 2011, 18:09   #1

Length: no boat
Ribcraft 585

Friend of mine and I are looking at investing in a new Ribcraft 585, I much prefer twin engines and a double console as we are planning some reasonably hefty trips. Any feedback would be great whether twins are the right way to go.

Cheers
Old 07 July 2011, 20:13   #2

Or anyone who has feedback with the same RIB with a Twin Engine Installation
Old 07 July 2011, 20:40   #3

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Dan , do a search on single vs twin set ups ! I suspect that the short answer to your question is that there are more cons than pros in a twin engine set up ( weight , cost , maintenance etc ) . Where do you draw the line in " back-up " . Twin engines , twin batteries , twin fuel supplies ? I have seen such set ups on Ribcraft 585s , but they have always been safety boats or some such like . In my opinion , a well maintained 4 stroke , perhaps with an auxillary is a better way to go !

You mention serious cruising . How well prepared are you and crew ? Never mind the boat . Have you considered cruising in company as a seriously safer way to take on such cruises ?

At least your off to a good start with boat choice , but that debate is just going to kick off again........( possible change in build method since they landed big Olympic contract !) Good Luck Bern
Old 07 July 2011, 21:15   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
My last boat was a 585 with a 175 FICHT 2stroke & was about as much fun as you could have without introducing melted chocolate & baby oil In some ways I miss it, it could be a handful, but always felt safe & was FAST. My current RIB is more stable & capable but just misses the edge that the 585 had. When I was speccing my current boat, I could only fit twin 90s on the back of a 585 due to transom space, Ribcraft wanted to put 4s Suzis on, personally I think this setup would have been a dog.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2011, 21:34   #5

Town: swansea
I've driven a 5.85 with twin 60's 4s on the back, all be it a rescue boat so slightly heavier it would only pull 32 knots 2 up, that said it was a planted lil boat on the water and gives a bigger boat feel, if i was buying one for myself i'd go with a 4s Yam 150 and a small second engine.