Old 25 October 2023, 11:54   #21

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
It has done some mileage
My point is that, as you pointed out above, you have 15+ outboards over 15 year period, averaging less than 1 year wear and tear and that's for a recreational user. Your case isn't exactly damning evidence of the longevity of spark plugs.

Some may have worked longer than others of course, but that just means others are underused and not supporting the argument.

As I mentioned earlier, runtime hours is more relevant. Sparks won't magically last forever and neglecting such a cheap service item isn't worth the hassle of getting stranded.
Old 26 October 2023, 04:11   #22

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
My point is that, as you pointed out above, you have 15+ outboards over 15 year period, averaging less than 1 year wear and tear and that's for a recreational user. Your case isn't exactly damning evidence of the longevity of spark plugs.

Some may have worked longer than others of course, but that just means others are underused and not supporting the argument.

As I mentioned earlier, runtime hours is more relevant. Sparks won't magically last forever and neglecting such a cheap service item isn't worth the hassle of getting stranded.
Your theory is incorrect. By far 2 of my boat engines are used the most. One has been used several times each year over the 15 years and the other slightly less. Neither have had replacement plugs in that period both work well. As for being stranded I carry a small tool kit with me and a set of plugs.

I have a Hayter harrier lawn mower that I have owned for over 35 years used all season for over 25 years and never had a new plug. I still have it.

In all I own over 60 petrol engines in boats, cars, garden equipment and large RC planes. Only ever replaced a spark plug about 5 times in 45 years.

It is not necessarily about the cost it is about waste and doing what is necessary and not doing the unecessary. If you have regularly replaced your spark plugs you would have no real experience of how long they last. Same with impellers.

I say again the world cannot afford this sort of waste of resources just because of habit and untested theory
Old 26 October 2023, 04:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post
Parsun outboards offer owner service & 3 years warranty! I have no experience of parsun outboards, a quick Google will give you more information on the UK stockists
I have read that. I think this is where other manufacturers could learn because I am certain many people won’t buy new because of the 5 or 6 year rip off period
Old 26 October 2023, 04:21   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
With your ‘maintenance’ regime go old 2 stroke. If your not prepared to follow manufacturers regime you’ll void the warranty which seems pretty pointless.
Yup
Old 26 October 2023, 09:43   #25

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Your theory is incorrect. By far 2 of my boat engines are used the most.
My theory is only based on the fact that you didn't respond to the question about runtime on the engines, years old is irrelevant. You didn't mention then that 2 are well used and the other 14+ are basically unused. Your sample size goes from 15+ to only 2, so not exactly solid data on the reliability of spark plugs.

In any case, "several times a year" sounds like very light use. At a typical recommended interval of 100 hours on plugs, you'd have to be running it for 3hrs each day for 33 days of the year to reach the recommended plug service interval, and you have 2 (presuming roughly equally used) engines, so you'd have to be on the water for 66 days of the year.

You could easily double that service interval, but it's based on estimated time to failure and going beyond means you're at higher chance of it failing. Even if the plug doesn't fail, a worn plug effects how well the engine runs and starts too.

Quote:
If you have regularly replaced your spark plugs you would have no real experience of how long they last. Same with impellers.

I say again the world cannot afford this sort of waste of resources just because of habit and untested theory
You say "untested theory" like you're doing some sort of pioneering research into longevity or something. In reality, I'm a mechanic of many years and have seen the real-world effects of people who are lazy with maintenance. Talk of wasting the worlds resources is a bit odd when you're talking of buying even more boats/engines than needed.
Old 26 October 2023, 16:35   #26

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
With your ‘maintenance’ regime go old 2 stroke.
Save your breath Ian, Easedale probably had no intention of buying a 4-stroke, besides he probably enjoys pulling 15 year old sparks that are fouled just when it’s getting dark and the wind is getting up.
Old 26 October 2023, 17:31   #27

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Might be buying New set up- Outboard Service and Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Save your breath Ian, Easedale probably had no intention of buying a 4-stroke, besides he probably enjoys pulling 15 year old sparks that are fouled just when it’s getting dark and the wind is getting up.

Plumbs has probably had a lot less issues than some of the home service so called experts on here [emoji848]
Old 26 October 2023, 19:28   #28

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Plumbs has probably had a lot less issues than some of the home service so called experts on here [emoji848]

As very much a non expert I’ve spent about £900 on consumables in the last 3 months on 3 services. 1 big 2 small. She’s never missed a beat and pulls like a train. Quite happy with my regime 🤠
Old 27 October 2023, 09:10   #29

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Care to elaborate?

Tags
outboard