Old 03 November 2020, 17:05   #1

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Lockdown Mk2

So how's the post Thursday world going to affect Ribbbers in England (at least)?

For me it's meant getting back from a weekend on Dartmouth last night- getting the trailer pulled out - (lightingboard fine), one wheel to unstick and a 3.30 start this morning for a near 300 mile round trip to Brixham to pull the boat out (on the most inconvenient tides) before Thursday. didn't want to risk lockdown being extended and her being left on the dock until after Christmas.
Pelted down with rain all the way there and whilst getting boat recovered & strapped down just for good measure!

I wasn't the only one with that plan today. Torbay Council were quick - the had a chap there collecting slip fees at 0830 - probably not a normal Tuesday job in November

At least she's nowsecure on the drive safe from any winter storms. Maybe some winter days on the Solent will beckon from early Dec
Old 03 November 2020, 17:35   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
So how's the post Thursday world going to affect Ribbbers in England (at least)?

For me it's meant getting back from a weekend on Dartmouth last night- getting the trailer pulled out - (lightingboard fine), one wheel to unstick and a 3.30 start this morning for a near 300 mile round trip to Brixham to pull the boat out (on the most inconvenient tides) before Thursday. didn't want to risk lockdown being extended and her being left on the dock until after Christmas.
Pelted down with rain all the way there and whilst getting boat recovered & strapped down just for good measure!

I wasn't the only one with that plan today. Torbay Council were quick - the had a chap there collecting slip fees at 0830 - probably not a normal Tuesday job in November

At least she's nowsecure on the drive safe from any winter storms. Maybe some winter days on the Solent will beckon from early Dec

It's a real Bummer for the Southwest where Covid numbers are and have been very low...
In fact I only know of just one friend who has even had it ....and he's in Manchester!
As for Boating its Just a case of being on the Ball and getting out as and when you can ...as things ease up.
You won't find anywhere safer isolation wise than out at Sea!
Personally I think the Gov has used most of the good will they had ...and as economic and well being realities bite for many! a change of approach will be chosen ....or be forced upon them.
Some great days for Cruiseing in the Winter

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2020, 18:22   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post

I noticed she was gone when I went down to take a few things off mine this afternoon.

Speaking to one of the staff while I was there, it seems they're taking the view that unless told different on Wednesday we can check and carry out maintenance on our boats this time.

Whether we can use them would seem to depend on the harbour master. Given that we're supposed to be allowed outdoor recreation it seems likely that we will be able to get out, just unable to visit anywhere. Dartmouth have already said they're closed to visiting boats.
Old 03 November 2020, 18:52   #4

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Taking the day off and heading out tomorrow - might as well as might be the only chance I get and there is a weather window
Old 03 November 2020, 21:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
It's a real Bummer for the Southwest where Covid numbers are and have been very low...
I absolutely agree and think regional solutions would be better, BUT some regions such as SW have far less hospital bed density than others, despite an older and more vulnerable population - so the effect would much greater on capacity. Why the SW continues to to be an ignored and under-invested region is a different question, but the NHS in the SW through its capacity has been highlighted as a high risk region, so I understand the practicality.
Old 03 November 2020, 21:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post
I noticed she was gone when I went down to take a few things off mine this afternoon..
Would be nice to think we can still get out, but talking to some people today, in the weekend storms a jetski was blown of its dock, so glad I made the effort to bring Lunasea back home for the winter today.

Do get out if you can... and if you need socially distanced crew give me a bell....but the distancing needs be within the "boat bubble"...not on a ringoI guess much will depend how local authorities interpret the rules.
Old 04 November 2020, 09:30   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickW View Post
Taking the day off and heading out tomorrow - might as well as might be the only chance I get and there is a weather window
Me too Mate
Have a good one!
Seems a bit of Ribcraft thing at the mo

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote