Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 February 2021, 18:59   #1

Town: London
Length: 5m +
Importing a new rib from uk to Spain in 2021

Dear all,
I am looking at importing a brand new rib from UK to Costa deal sol, could anybody advise of the process in 2021 post Brexit
Query is basically what would the on the water costs in Spain be, given the boat will reside there permanently and be registered to my holiday address out there.
I have heard it is 21% Iva tax, plus 12% for registeration plates, plus 500 euro to register plus time lag of c 15 days,

Any advise on the process any costs would be very much welcomed

Many thanks.
Old 14 February 2021, 19:43   #2

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanepropwest View Post
Dear all,
I am looking at importing a brand new rib from UK to Costa deal sol, could anybody advise of the process in 2021 post Brexit
Query is basically what would the on the water costs in Spain be, given the boat will reside there permanently and be registered to my holiday address out there.
I have heard it is 21% Iva tax, plus 12% for registeration plates, plus 500 euro to register plus time lag of c 15 days,

Many thanks.
Where are you resident? UK or EU?
Old 14 February 2021, 19:44   #3

Resident in uk with an address in Spain (holiday home)
Old 14 February 2021, 19:51   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Don't tell him your National Insurance Number Pike!

Old 14 February 2021, 20:16   #5

Quote:
Resident in uk with an address in Spain (holiday home)
Now that we’ve left the EU you have the option of registering it in say Jersey and then taking it to the EU on a temporary import saving yourself paying the VAT.

However, depending on the value of the boat, it’s probably not worth it and easiest just to pay the VAT and have an easy life. Be aware though that you won’t be able to bring it back to the UK in the future if you antes for without paying the VAT again.
Old 14 February 2021, 20:18   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Dear all,

Many thanks.
Seems an odd question.
Surly the easiest and best option if you are resident with an address here...and buy a RIB for private use...from a UK maker ...you have it delivered to your UK address.
If and when you decide to take it to Spain it won't be new...VAT and taxes already being paid here...of which (if your asked) you will have proof.
What's the problem?...Plenty of people do the same with nearly new but technically "Used" ...UK Tax's having been paid here ...RIBs...Boats ...Cars...Carvans...Motorhomes ect ect all the time.
A quick chat to you're RIB maker of choice will soon put you straight I'm sure.
I don't think even the EU with all the strokes they are pulling (or trying too)at the moment can Tax privately owned fully paid for used legally owned Kit!
If getting it to Spain is a problem....we can have a chat

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 20:21   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
This might be useful (or not)

https://www.rya.org.uk/sitecollectio...t_in_Spain.pdf
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 21:00   #8

Thank you for the response, it is more the 12% reg to get a reg plate in Spain as the rib will be there permanently. If the boat is “exported “ brand new then it is uk vat free but vatable in Spain. There are always nuances in Spain
Nothing is ever straight forward in Spain. Also if I wanted to bring it back to us in the future then I would have proof of vat payment out there.
Old 14 February 2021, 21:04   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Thank you for the response, it is more the 12% reg to get a reg plate in Spain as the rib will be there permanently. If the boat is “exported “ brand new then it is uk vat free but vatable in Spain. There are always nuances in Spain
Nothing is ever straight forward in Spain. Also if I wanted to bring it back to us in the future then I would have proof of vat payment out there.

Can’t you register it in the Uk ? I’ve no idea what the rules are in Spain, but I have friends who keep UK registered boats in foreign ports.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 21:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Seems an odd question.
Surly the easiest and best option if you are resident with an address here...and buy a RIB for private use...from a UK maker ...you have it delivered to your UK address.
If and when you decide to take it to Spain it won't be new...VAT and taxes already being paid here...of which (if your asked) you will have proof.
What's the problem?...Plenty of people do the same with nearly new but technically "Used" ...UK Tax's having been paid here ...RIBs...Boats ...Cars...Carvans...Motorhomes ect ect all the time.
A quick chat to you're RIB maker of choice will soon put you straight I'm sure.
I don't think even the EU with all the strokes they are pulling (or trying too)at the moment can Tax privately owned fully paid for used legally owned Kit!
If getting it to Spain is a problem....we can have a chat
If he does that the only way he can take it to Spain without paying the VAT a second time will be on a TI and then he’s limited to 18 months at a time without taking it back out of the EU.
So if he intends on keeping it permanent in Spain this is potentially not a good idea. If he overstays his 18 months he would have little option but to pay the VAT a second time.

I don’t know if I’d rely on some rib salesman to give you tax advice (or an Internet forum for that matter)
Old 14 February 2021, 21:42   #11

Quote:
Also if I wanted to bring it back to us in the future then I would have proof of vat payment out there.
No you wouldn’t be able to bring it back to the UK. If you pay the VAT in Spain, your boat will be EU VAT paid.

If you want to bring it back to the UK and you are a UK resident, you will have to pay UK VAT when it is imported.
Old 14 February 2021, 21:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Can’t you register it in the Uk ? I’ve no idea what the rules are in Spain, but I have friends who keep UK registered boats in foreign ports.
I think he could stick it on the UK SSR and take it to Spain. He’d still have to pay VAT in Spain (or another EU country). He’d have to be careful how and where the sale was executed, and make sure the paper trail was right.

As long as he doesn’t spend more than 182 days in Spain each year (impossible now anyway?) he wouldn’t have to register it in a Spain / pay the matriculation tax.
Old 14 February 2021, 22:11   #13

As an aside, depending on the boat and the OP’s future plans, registering the boat in Spain and paying the taxes is possibly the best option as he could then easily sell it there again in the future tax paid.

What a nightmare all this has become thanks to Brexit
Old 15 February 2021, 06:45   #14

I wonder if the U.K. RIB manufacturers are familiar with the post Brexit regulations regarding exporting boats to Europe, VAT status etc. For example, as a customer intending to export a new RIB from the U.K, will they actually sell you a RIB without the VAT or, in order to do so, as the seller, do they have to deal with/ arrange the export?
Old 15 February 2021, 07:30   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Of course, there's always a sweet spot - a boat builder in Northern Ireland could be a little like Schrödinger's cat - both within and without the EU depending on which politician observes them

It's not "Southern Ireland" BTW - yiz got to name the North, we called the other bit the Republic of Ireland. We put Eire on the stamps to confuse yiz even more...

Old 15 February 2021, 07:59   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Of course, there's always a sweet spot - a boat builder in Northern Ireland could be a little like Schrödinger's cat - both within and without the EU depending on which politician observes them

It's not "Southern Ireland" BTW - yiz got to name the North, we called the other bit the Republic of Ireland. We put Eire on the stamps to confuse yiz even more...

And that is the crux of the Northern Ireland border issue.. and I’m sure it is anything but sorted.
The current rule is you would have to pay VAT again when it crosses from Northern Ireland to the Republic irrespective of its UK VAT status. Quite how that is enforced I have no idea. Same as imported cars I guess.

Re the Republic, I agree, I continued calling it ‘Southern Ireland’ on the other thread to avoid adding even more confusion as someone had already called it Southern Ireland... my apologies
Old 15 February 2021, 08:35   #17

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
A number of UK manufactures will have EE distributors and dealers - well worth a discussion with the maker of your choice.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 09:07   #18

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
"I don’t know if I’d rely on some rib salesman to give you tax advice (or an Internet forum for that matter)"[/QUOTE]

Fair point!

Although I think you'll find all of the bigger RIB manufactures export on a regular basis and will know how to advise on legality which you can ask to be in writing in case of future problems.....
Afterall you can't be expected to be an international Tax expert.
IF you are right about the 18 month limit??...Might be worth thinking about buying "second hand" then

Who doesn't LOVE Beurocrats/Eurocrats!!??
Still....it's definatly NOT the worse problem to have ...I've heard about lately

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 10:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
"
IF you are right about the 18 month limit??...Might be worth thinking about buying "second hand" then
Buying secondhand (in the UK) won't make any difference - you are still limited to the EU's temporary import 18 month limit or be faced with paying the EU VAT,

If you bought (secondhand) in Spain, it would avoid the problem, but then you can't get it back to the UK without paying UK VAT...

We've had stock heading for Luxembourg stuck in Calais since Christmas.. it's the absolutely wild west out there at the moment and anyone who says things are going smoothly is talking out of their ass.
Old 15 February 2021, 12:07   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
Quite how that is enforced I have no idea. Same as imported cars I guess.
Well, no - because cars are taxed (VAT and "Duty") at the point of registration, not importation. Boats are not registered for pleasure use so the chance of being taxed is Nil.

Tags
rib