Old 18 July 2021, 21:10   #1

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Ilfracombe Trip

Spent a few days moored up at Ilfracombe over the last few days, thought others may find it interesting

Watermouth Cove

Ilfracombe is a bit of a weird harbour but the harbourmaster (mistress) is brilliant and very helpful.
Plenty of visitor moorings but you need a dinghy and the mooring ropes are pretty big, one bow and one stern rope.

You can leave a dingy on the mooring to ‘reserve’ your spot whilst you go out for the day. You need about 4m of tide to get to the moorings in the outer harbour, much more for the inner harbour.

The slipway is pretty useless with such crazy traffic and no parking.

Very beautiful sunset cruise looking out towards Wales

Launched at Appledore, two nights in Ilfracombe, leisurely trip to Lynmouth but it was too hot for much other than sitting at anchor paddling around in the water

Old 18 July 2021, 21:13   #2

Heading back from Ilfracombe today

Beaches were insanely busy and it’s not even school holidays

Trip home, hugged the beaches most of the way at 10 knots

There’s pretty much no other boats around other than half a dozen commercial trip boats from Ilfracombe and a handful of sailing yachts from Wales.

95% of the boats from Bideford / Instow / Appledore never leave the estuary. The Ilfracombe / Watermouth boats seems a little more adventurous but we didn’t see a single boat between Ilfracombe and Appledore until we crossed the Bideford bar.

Appledore slipway was total bedlam like nothing I have seen before
Old 18 July 2021, 22:36   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat

https://ibb.co/qMN5TnK

Must have almost seen you….. adventurous you say? 100+ miles in a day on a sub 4m craft yes most people don’t do very much even in perfect conditions almost did Lundy but fuel budget wouldn’t allow

Appledore slip was interesting to say the least some of the “Attire” was more magaluf than north devon but I wasn’t complaining….. just made me wish I was 20 years younger with an old 2 stroke ski… disappointed by the lack of water front refreshment options so went back to ilfracombe where there is a great pub on the beach and a cracking chip shop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Porthcawl-Appledore.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	138163  
Old 19 July 2021, 03:03   #4

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
Heading back from Ilfracombe today

Beaches were insanely busy and it’s not even school holidays

Trip home, hugged the beaches most of the way at 10 knots
Looks a lot like Woolacombe to me, but I haven't seen it since 1978.
Old 19 July 2021, 06:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

https://ibb.co/qMN5TnK

Must have almost seen you….. adventurous you say? 100+ miles in a day on a sub 4m craft yes most people don’t do very much even in perfect conditions almost did Lundy but fuel budget wouldn’t allow

Appledore slip was interesting to say the least some of the “Attire” was more magaluf than north devon but I wasn’t complaining….. just made me wish I was 20 years younger with an old 2 stroke ski… disappointed by the lack of water front refreshment options so went back to ilfracombe where there is a great pub on the beach and a cracking chip shop
It’s a shame our paths didn’t cross, we had 100l of fuel on board in cans we didn’t need.

Had the same thoughts on going to Lundy but spoke to one of the trip boats and they said it was absolutely packed.

That’s as a good trip in a 4m boat did you see the Fairline that had come across from Swansea?

Re food at Appledore, ‘John’s’ is your best bet, pasties / sausage rolls / bacon sandwiches etc. About half way along the seafront.
There’s also a super pizza place called Flame
Factory
Old 19 July 2021, 06:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
Looks a lot like Woolacombe to me, but I haven't seen it since 1978.
Sure is
Old 19 July 2021, 15:36   #7

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Nice! Many fond memories. :^)
Old 20 July 2021, 23:10   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
It’s a shame our paths didn’t cross, we had 100l of fuel on board in cans we didn’t need.

Had the same thoughts on going to Lundy but spoke to one of the trip boats and they said it was absolutely packed.

That’s as a good trip in a 4m boat did you see the Fairline that had come across from Swansea?

Re food at Appledore, ‘John’s’ is your best bet, pasties / sausage rolls / bacon sandwiches etc. About half way along the seafront.
There’s also a super pizza place called Flame
Factory

It’s not really a boat didn’t see the fairline a few ribs round watermouth and some bikini clad ladies at appledore who looked more like they were in Acapulco not appledore

Ideally wanted a Sandy spot to anchor up but it was all walled one side and no where to get anything on the other side? Considered rowing club steps but decided to refuel at slip and then head off.