Click Here to Login

Old 19 March 2023, 17:13   #1

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
How to repair pin holes in pvc RIB

A couple of days after heaving a couple of energetic bass over the side of my Quicksilver ALU-RIB last autumn, I noticed that the tube had started deflating. They are spikey buggers, or maybe it was hook damage. Anyway, lesson learnt and short handled landing net purchased.

Now I want to get my boat sorted for the coming season, but am not sure what to do for the best. Having searched the forum, threads all seem to be about repairing hyperlon boats, not pvc. Maybe the answers are the same, but I don't want to assume.

Using soapy water I have, so far, located three pin holes, quite close to each other. Potential options I have found are, cleaning the area with meth's, acetone or paint thinners, partially deflating and then:
[*]]Applying a blob of cyanoacrylate onto each hole.[*]Applying urethane glue using a syringe (no needle) into and onto the hole.[*]Applying Tear-Aid type B patch[*]Using a repair kit such as from RibStore including patches and two part adhesive. My preference is not to have the boat covered with patches, but if that is the proper job.....[*]Squirting SealSkin in through the valve and reinflate the tube. Then, if I can, shake the boat about to get the stuff to flow around and plug the holes from the inside. TBH, I am the least convinced about this method, but maybe its brilliant?.

Any advice about the efficacy of the above five methods or about methods I have not mentioned would be appreciated.
Old 19 March 2023, 18:14   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecheur Anglais View Post
A couple of days after heaving a couple of energetic bass over the side of my Quicksilver ALU-RIB last autumn, I noticed that the tube had started deflating. They are spikey buggers, or maybe it was hook damage. Anyway, lesson learnt and short handled landing net purchased.

Now I want to get my boat sorted for the coming season, but am not sure what to do for the best. Having searched the forum, threads all seem to be about repairing hyperlon boats, not pvc. Maybe the answers are the same, but I don't want to assume.

Using soapy water I have, so far, located three pin holes, quite close to each other. Potential options I have found are, cleaning the area with meth's, acetone or paint thinners, partially deflating and then:

[*]]Applying a blob of cyanoacrylate onto each hole.
[*]Applying urethane glue using a syringe (no needle) into and onto the hole.
[*]Applying Tear-Aid type B patch
[*]Using a repair kit such as from RibStore including patches and two part adhesive. My preference is not to have the boat covered with patches, but if that is the proper job.....
[*]Squirting SealSkin in through the valve and reinflate the tube. Then, if I can, shake the boat about to get the stuff to flow around and plug the holes from the inside. TBH, I am the least convinced about this method, but maybe its brilliant?.

Any advice about the efficacy of the above five methods or about methods I have not mentioned would be appreciated.

I stuck some Hypalon name patches onto my PVC SIB without any problems. Dave Cowal provided the patches/glue, instructions, advice. Highly recommended.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 18:17   #3

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Could you patch then glue on some wear patches? Do both sides so it looks oem. Fix the leak and be useful anyway [ATTACH]142346
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	142346  
Old 19 March 2023, 18:23   #4

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
You can patch hypalon to pvc but not the other way around. Two pack glue will do it

I put two small patches on my frib a year ago. Stays in the water all year still holding pressure [emoji106]
Old 19 March 2023, 20:22   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Patches are unfortunately the only way to reliably fix it. Avoid using the liquid sealskin through the tubes, that’s ultimately for a boat on the way out with porous fabric. You’ll cause yourself no end of grief with the inflation valves.

Check out Polymarine’s site. There’s instructions there for PVC. This time of year isn’t great for repairs due to moisture levels. If you can, take the boat into a heated garage, decent ambient temperature and keep it well ventilated. Preparation is everything. With moisture in the air you risk the glue blooming and the repair won’t hold.
Old 19 March 2023, 20:31   #6

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Could you patch then glue on some wear patches? Do both sides so it looks oem. Fix the leak and be useful anyway [ATTACH]142346
Like this idea, especially with the non slip wear pattern. I wouldn't mind fixing some on my tubes as I sometimes sit on the tubes instead of the bench. Have you got a suppliers name lankristy?
Old 19 March 2023, 22:01   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Use pvc patches of the min appropriate size with two part glue. No shame in a proper repair… or… wear patches as above… or…

Glue on something like a D-ring with backing or an extra lift handle or any other fitting you fancy. Borika mount for example.
Old 20 March 2023, 07:13   #8

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Like this idea, especially with the non slip wear pattern. I wouldn't mind fixing some on my tubes as I sometimes sit on the tubes instead of the bench. Have you got a suppliers name lankristy?

Just google up ‘rib wear patch’ loads of hits. In uk Tilleys and Henshaws both supply I think and probably would give advice about correct glue/ procedure [emoji4]
Old 20 March 2023, 09:41   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post

I have wear/tread patches on the RIB. They aren’t comfortable to sit on, especially if you’re wearing thin clothing or shorts.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 20 March 2023, 10:11   #10

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Thanks Dave.
Old 20 March 2023, 10:32   #11

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I have wear/tread patches on the RIB. They aren’t comfortable to sit on, especially if you’re wearing thin clothing or shorts.
They don't have to be the thickly patterned treadmaster type stuff like in Iankristy's image.

I specifically didn't want that on my RIB as it would cause all sorts of issues dragging divers in over the side, so just used plain 'normal' Hypalon.
Old 20 March 2023, 11:14   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
They don't have to be the thickly patterned treadmaster type stuff like in Iankristy's image.

I specifically didn't want that on my RIB as it would cause all sorts of issues dragging divers in over the side, so just used plain 'normal' Hypalon.

True[emoji106]
Old 20 March 2023, 11:25   #13

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
These boy's at xs ribs have been dealing with PU for years and this video is a clear guide to repairing a hole.
https://youtu.be/Oxdc0VJh7xA
Old 20 March 2023, 14:12   #14

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Many thanks for all the replies. I now feel confident to buy the patches and 2 part glue from one of the suppliers recommended. Probably a couple of wear patches too, I like that idea, cosmetically and to reinforce the area that I am most likely to damage again if I forget my landing new.
As it is not practical to heat my garage, I will await some warmer weather.
Thanks again to you all, a bunch of RIB life savers!

Tags
repair, rib