Old 09 June 2003, 10:34   #1

Town: Hertfordshire
Boat name: Enfield Explorer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x115HP Optimax
Fire Extinguisher Recommendations

As per the title.

Anyone care to share thought on an appropriate fire extingusiher for a 6.5m petrol engined rib?

Dry powder seems to be the norm, though I have seen someone questioning if the powder would "clump" in a wet environment, reducing iys effectivensss or blocking the nozzle.

Halon would be a cleaner alternative, but effectiveness in a breezy situation?

A plastic bodied extinguisher would be nice (rust).

Size? 2kg, 3kg,??

Finally, recommendations where to buy?

TIA

David
Old 09 June 2003, 10:45   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
AFFF is the stuff to use, its a chemical that is added to water and very effective on petrol fires. Did some fire training with AFFF and couldn't light a pool of petrol that had a layer of AFFF on the surfice even when lit matches were thrown in

MCA recommend 2 x 1 kg and 1 x 4kg plus 2 buckets for a small workboat.

Your right dry powder makes a real mess when its used. Although you have petrol the thought of dry powder going into a turbo diesel doesn't bear thinking about.

Pete
Old 09 June 2003, 11:47   #3

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi folks

Thinking about your comment David about dry powder and engines. My engine bay has two 2KG dry powder auto extinguishers. If they go off for real, fine better a big clean up and poss engine rework then no boat or worse, but what if one goes by accident.

What would be the effect on the engine, would it cause any permanent damage and if it did stop the engine how big a job would it be to restart to get you home and would their be any damage done in doing so.

As for Halon, was banned a while ago but their are gas alternatives for engine bays but quite expensive now.

Regards Gary
Old 09 June 2003, 14:23   #4

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Halon has definitely been banned and cannot be replaced when extinguisher expires.

One thing to think about with an outboard and fire is?

1. disconnect petrol connection

2. allow engine to continue running

3. lean over engine and aim extinguisher directly into back of hood
(DO NOT remove hood)

By keeping the engine running the extinguishing substance is pulled directly into the hood / source of fire. The engine will stop in a couple of mins from either lack of fuel or sooner if your extinguisher has done its job.

I think a powder extinguisher is probably the best for all round use, ie electrical, engine etc

Regards
Karl
Old 09 June 2003, 15:20   #5

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Halon Replacement

My Halon diesel engine box extinguisher is now time expired and as I do not want to replace it, for obvious reasons, with a dry powder version I contacted the manufacturer of the halon one.

A guy called Tim Bartlett is the resident gas extinguisher expert at The Firemaster Extinguisher Company (020 8852 8585) and he has told me that the current replacement for mine is the GT FE 1500 model. This is a 1.5kg cylinder and they are doing a promo replacement deal for people that have out-of-date halon extinguishers.

The discounted price of the 1.5kg is £109.05 including p&p. Expensive. But as my new Yanmar costs £20K+ at retail it is an expense I will bear without too much teeth gritting. Just as long as it works if ever needed.
Old 09 June 2003, 18:14   #6

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi Mike

Would their be another available at that price for people wanting to swap from dry powder?.

I assume your engine dox is similar size to mine but how you work out how much space their is left beats me. I think just go for the biggest one as if it vents its better then not enough.

Regards Gary
Old 09 June 2003, 22:56   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Gary

Wavehumper put me on to Ocean Safety in Saxon Wharf who can supply these in a variety of sizes. I have the 1.5 kg GE, cost about £110 inc, from them in my Pacific engine bay just so I don't have to use a dry powder in there. Given that an auto only has a very thin piece of glass stopping it going off I would rather not pay £2.5k for a rebuild because a dry powder fell off its braket and activated. CO2 might be another option for an inboard engine bay and, they can be used used to cool the beer down during the summer as well, brilliant

Pete
Old 10 June 2003, 06:06   #8

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Quote:
Originally posted by Garygee
Hi Mike. Would their be another available at that price for people wanting to swap from dry powder?.
Gary, I will ask. But if Ocean Safety is doing the same thing without the one-for-one swap it might be better going to them yourself.

I have not yet swapped my own cos I want to be sure that they get my halon extinguisher and then send me the replacement in time for the next planned outing! It would be a real pain if the turn around was too slow.