Old 17 August 2021, 08:11   #1

Town: Bradford
RIBase
Finally bought a rib!

Hi all,

Well we've taken the plunge and taken ownership of our first boat!

We've bought a Europa E380 Sport with a Tohatsu 30hp engine, on an Xtreme Roller trailer.

Leaving it stored on Anglesey (which I suspect will now be our 2nd home!) as we also have a caravan to tow.

Towing isn't a concern but whats freaking me out at the moment is the prospect of:

a) finding where to launch from
b) being able to get the boat off the trailer into the water in under an hour!
c) finding somewhere to leave the car/trailer safely
d) recovering the boat onto the trailer

Please could you share any recommendations, tips, advice etc as they would be most appreciated right now!

Look forward to seeing you on the water 😀
Old 17 August 2021, 08:26   #2

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Sarah Saunders
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 6m +
Hi c111
Here's a useful video of launch and recovery basics

ATB
Old 17 August 2021, 08:45   #3

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
A nice simple launch/recovery video but please note you should park out the way, have a coffee and sort yourself out, remove covers, straps etc before you head down the ramp, , run thru a simple checklist if you like, load your picnic, put the bung in etc. This will allow your bearings to cool and give you time to get ready - The ramp part should be a swift in and out exercise to avoid blocking others - there is nothing more frustrating that ramp delays.
Old 17 August 2021, 08:59   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
That c-fury is quite a nice cat!
I thought for a while the trailer had bunks and wondered how far he was going to dip the car on that shallow ramp.
I never tow with a cover on. Too much potential for chafing to the boat or damage to the cover.

For your first launch make sure you have a pontoon to tie off on. Soon launching and retrieval becomes second nature, Mrs Limecc powers it onto the trailer, I attach the winch to secure and finish. All the faff with ropes, ratchet straps, lightboards and fenders is not done on the ramp but in a nearby staging area out of courtesy for other users.

I have a second winch to enable the trailer to be uncoupled from the car and pushed out by hand to the boat or deeper water for really shallow gradients. Main winch retrieves boat to trailer, second winch retrieves trailer to car. Is also useful for slimey slips or if there's a possibility of getting the car stuck.
Old 17 August 2021, 09:01   #5

RIBase
Thank you, really helpful!

Does anyone have experience of slipways in Anglesey specifically?

It's the small things that are borhering me, like what if theres a queue, who do I pay, where is the best place to park etc

Someone suggested Bull Bay as a good slipway, but you have to rent a key from the council so will look at that for next year (I think it runs April to September so no point this year), but then I read elsewhere that they remove the bollard from Sept onwards so no need to pay at all?

My head hurts! 😅
Old 17 August 2021, 09:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygent111 View Post
It's the small things that are borhering me, like what if theres a queue, who do I pay, where is the best place to park etc
Everywhere is different so it pays to use Boatlaunch, Google Earth/Maps and do your homework up front. Questions on here etc all good (make sure the thread title reflects what you are asking). Next check out the ground minus boat, get licenses, suss the parking, best route to take, ask the locals etc.
Old 17 August 2021, 13:52   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Everywhere is different so it pays to use Boatlaunch, Google Earth/Maps and do your homework up front. Questions on here etc all good (make sure the thread title reflects what you are asking). Next check out the ground minus boat, get licenses, suss the parking, best route to take, ask the locals etc.
Thanks Limecc - good idea to scout the location first without the trailer.

I already have a list of questions, but will post them in a separate thread to keep things tidy :-)

We've decided to leave the boat in storage on Anglesey - towing a caravan AND a boat might raise a few eyebrows on the M62!! So we're lucky to have the experience of the guys in the shop/yard to be able to call on if needed.

Cheers!
Old 17 August 2021, 14:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygent111 View Post
Cheers!
Anglesey's on our to-visit list, was all set and had to cancel last minute (later on went to Lymington instead). We have caravan and boat like you so am keenly interested how you get on. Please post pics of the citygent boat and the slips!
Old 17 August 2021, 15:52   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Anglesey's on our to-visit list, was all set and had to cancel last minute (later on went to Lymington instead). We have caravan and boat like you so am keenly interested how you get on. Please post pics of the citygent boat and the slips!
Oh good heavens! As if I didn't have enough pressure!! If I'm sharing my experience does that officially make me a "boater"? I would have said "ribber" but that could be confused for all sorts of things!

Will do Limecc - we're actually taking the caravan to Cornwall on Thursday, so no boating till the beginning of September, but I will record my escapades here - this forum is great for learning new things so hopefully my mistakes will help teach others what not to do!

Tags
rib