Old 16 August 2021, 13:26   #1

Town: Emsworth
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp Mercury
Re-strake or 2nd Strake?

Hi all, we have a 6m Aquaflyte with hypalon tubes (fairly new tubes) which we keep on a mooring April - Oct. I'm really keen to get it covered (all over to protect the tubes) but have no way of keeping it on there currently in the wind we get here straps are a no go.

I'm contemplating removing the 'D' profile Strake on there (well getting someone to do it) and replacing with a new one that can take a Cover with Clips.
I've been quoted £1200 for doing this though and it's not filling me with joy as thats more than the bloody cover…

I'm looking for something thats going to really aid the longevity of the boat/tubes etc so looking for some thoughts/advice really.

Would you:
A. Replace Strake and add a full cover
B. Get a cover for just console and seats then just replace tubes sooner
C. Add a second teardrop Strake below the first - I saw this recently and thought was a good option actually
D. Something else?

I've also toyed with making some neat (hidden) holes in the bottom of the D Strake to take a clip of some sort but this seems drastic and possibly messy. However, if contemplating a new strake might be worth trying first

HEEELLLP? Either its a lot of money but keen to keep this nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rib-image-small.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	138485  
Old 16 August 2021, 14:09   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Excel boats sold me 2" round patches to stick on for my bow dodger clips because I had the old style strake. You could get some of the same and go around the entire boat every three or four feet. They become invisible unless you look for them.
Old 16 August 2021, 15:03   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I keep my cover on with bungees with lobster pot hooks on the trailer. Your idea is very expensive to achieve the same result. IMO
Old 16 August 2021, 16:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Excel boats sold me 2" round patches to stick on for my bow dodger clips because I had the old style strake. You could get some of the same and go around the entire boat every three or four feet. They become invisible unless you look for them.
This great thank you. I've been looking pretty much all season and actually just had a call with a very helpful lady at ribstore.co.uk who have said they can make me some custom size ones as I don't seem to be able to find anything under 120 mm. I also found some smaller black D-rings so hoping that would provide a little more wriggle room as the cover shrinks on bungees and wouldnt show up as much under there.

Really appreciate your help!!
Old 16 August 2021, 16:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I keep my cover on with bungees with lobster pot hooks on the trailer. Your idea is very expensive to achieve the same result. IMO
yeah it's been driving me mad. I thought there had to be something simpler out there but even all the cover co's were saying you need to get a strake, thats the only way. I'd hoped someone would have been a little more imaginative out there but guess they just do what they do…
Old 16 August 2021, 16:38   #6

I've actually also found this in the centre shot there is a cover that someone mentioned to me a couple of months ago but wasn't able to find me an example. apparently they attach via the grab handles and rubber cleats.

A nice option for some not wanting to put patches below.
Old 16 August 2021, 17:58   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I had a cover which had a draw string/ tape on a ratchet which went below the tube so when tight it couldn’t ride up if that makes sense