Old 22 March 2005, 11:48   #41

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
Level 2 PB Certificates

I think I am right in saying that the Level 2 PB cert can be commercially endorsed by way of the Sea Survival/ML5 medical, Passport Photo, £15.00 to the RYA and you do not have to take an exam. The Skipper of the commercial vessel must also hold a minimum of the RYA First Aid at sea and there should be at least 1 person qualified with the SRC DSC/VHF Certificate.
The Level 2 powerboat certificate is allowed under the MCA Small Commercial Vessels (max 12 passengers) for Cat 6 waters:To Sea within 3 miles of a nominated departure point, and never more than 3 miles from land, in daylight and favourable weather conditions.
The holder must also have 12mths relevent experience with the type of vessel he/she will be helming.
This info is from the MCA Small Commercial Vessel Code of Practice. Annex 3 pages 142 to 150 approx. Manning requirements.

Hope this shows that the Level 2 can be commercial endorsed, which has also been explained by Jon Mendez at a number of RYA Conferences etc.

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2005, 11:53   #42

Town: Bournemouth
Make: RibCraft
Engine: Optimax 150
I could do with a 1 day level 2 course.
I have been Yacht Sailing for 19 years - hold Yachtmaster Offshore Theory and skippered own boat from Denmark to Uk and Uk to Eire so understand tides, nav etc.
I have also spent some time in RIBs (other peoples) and have ordered my own.(RibCraft 6.5 + Optimax 150)
I need practise at slow speed manouvers plus MOB practise and hints and tips on higher speed navigation. Plus some other items that I dont know I need.
Level 2 certificate will help with insurance.
I cant afford 2 days of my time - cost is not the major factor - time is as I am committed to a lot of yacht racing at weekends.
Old 22 March 2005, 11:54   #43

Town: Poole
Freakwave

Quote:
the level two does not allow you to take people on the water for that you will need to take your advanced powerboat certificate and then get yourself commercially endorsed, thats if your on about taking people on charter.
Sorry but this is wrong. Level 2 (if commercially endorsed + 12 months or more experience) is acceptable in some areas for 'charter skippers' Examples include the Solent (i believe) and certainly for Cat 6 operation.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4246

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2005, 14:09   #44

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
geoff,
Your only way is to have some 1:1 instruction with a knowledgeable person (i.e. a PBI) then do a direct assessment with an RYA School. The RYA states that the Level 2 is either direct assessment or a 2 day course.

Are we back where we started from with this thread everyone???

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2005, 16:40   #45
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Geoff,
Please visit my site for more detailed info but i have a new Ribcraft 685 at my school based in Lymington if you need some training.
www.ukribcentre.co.uk
Regards
Stuart
Old 22 March 2005, 18:52   #46

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hickman
geoff,
Your only way is to have some 1:1 instruction with a knowledgeable person (i.e. a PBI) then do a direct assessment with an RYA School. The RYA states that the Level 2 is either direct assessment or a 2 day course.

Are we back where we started from with this thread everyone???
Agree with you Dave on all previous posts and this one and yes we are back where we started
Old 22 March 2005, 23:29   #47

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Look Folks,

Its only a course, do it. It doesn't matter how many years you have sailing on the "Ark Royal", A standard has to be set and to get the qualification you have to meet it.

If we don't do this then the people who don't understand anything about boating will eventually get their way and compulsory qualifications will be imposed.

So those who say I have umpteen years of experience and should be given the qualification accept the reality and put there hands in ther pocket and just do the course.

I started driving a car at 12. I really did think I could drive then. Obviously I couldn't, but without a standard test, I might have been convinced I was a proper driver.

A course a test is just a way of showing you are up to a certain level. Even the people on here who have years of experience and have stated they don't want to do the full course some have admitted they would just like to do it to see if they have missed anything.

For all your info I did a 4 day level 2 course. Does that mean I'm better then most of you. No, of course it doesn't.

What I did learn was coming to, and MOB, lots of it. stuff I normally never do, but it might come in handy. It might also save a life. Plus because I had a few years experience I also felt I was above what I was being taught. But I still did it and I never said it was boring.

I have had 19 years experience of boating both in Europe and the UK but no formal qualifications.

Personally I feel you need standards. You certainly don't need to water them down with 4 or 2 or 1 day level 1/2 courses. There is no way these courses can be the same.

People just need to see the 1/2 course as a starting block. If you have bags of experience then you will fly through it and hopefully help the less experienced. Then you can move on to better things. But if you haven't done it then I personally don't think you should try and circumvent the course with any unsubstantiated experience you might have.

If we are going to set a standard lets stick to it, don't lets water it down because some folk think they have more experince than others, Lets let the course decide that.

And going on from this, I have 30 years experince of VHF communications but I was quite happy to do the standard VHF GMDSS course. I didn't ask for any favours or want any. I wanted to learn. And I did.

So come on folks. If the course has a set agenda to follow lets follow.

And the last the thing I have to add.

I absolutetly hate all instructors. Normally they live in their perfect little world which they know 110%. They think the rest of us are idiots and are their to serve them. Nearly all of them have no idea of what the real world is like.

Having said that I still feel you need courses and set standards. I just feel the instructors just need a good shake now and again to bring tham back in to the real world.

I speak from experience.
Old 23 March 2005, 22:23   #48

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
Beware of schools offering 1 day Fastrack Level 2 Courses I have seen these advertised in several places today.
47 posts and no-one's asked who these charlatans are!!! Come on Jono, be brave from behind the keyboard!!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2005, 22:51   #49
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Quote:
I absolutetly hate all instructors. Normally they live in their perfect little world which they know 110%. They think the rest of us are idiots and are their to serve them. Nearly all of them have no idea of what the real world is like.
Failed the instructors course then
Old 23 March 2005, 23:26   #50

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Nah

Stayed in the real world........
Old 24 March 2005, 06:57   #51

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
.... They think the rest of us are idiots ........
..and your point is?
Old 24 March 2005, 06:59   #52

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
47 posts and no-one's asked who these charlatans are!!! Come on Jono, be brave from behind the keyboard!!!
I know you're dying to know, Richard, but the RYA have things in hand, so there's nothing for you to worry about...