Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 26 March 2019, 01:46   #1

Town: NSW
Length: 4m +
Examples of deep V ribs in NZ?

What are some model RIBs that are suitable for offshore, deep Vs? 5metres and up?

If possible available in NZ as I know a lot on here are for Euro market.

I looked at an Avon D560 but I read remarks on here its not a deep V? It has twin 50hps. Which I prefer to single enginge.
Old 26 March 2019, 05:15   #2

Town: Auckland
Make: Gemini Waverider 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Johnson 90hp
Gemini Waverider 550?
Old 26 March 2019, 11:55   #3

Town: S/E Queensland
Boat name: White Hurricane
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 6LP 315hp Jet
Lancer Ribs are Kiwi made and well built.
Old 26 March 2019, 19:49   #4

thanks guys good choices so far. gemini and lancer. also naiad.

also smuggler at high end i cant afford along with intereceptor which is used for the americas cup.

the Avon is in very good nice, was used as a tender on super yacht. has 2 jockey seatts amd 2x yamaha 50hp four strokes.

But I believe it is the 18 degree hull and I want to get out where the water turns nasty sometimes. Im a bit upset as its ideal otherwise.
Old 27 March 2019, 07:08   #5

Town: Whakatane
Boat name: Jojosrib
Make: Brig
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearRib View Post
What are some model RIBs that are suitable for offshore, deep Vs? 5metres and up?

If possible available in NZ as I know a lot on here are for Euro market.

I looked at an Avon D560 but I read remarks on here its not a deep V? It has twin 50hps. Which I prefer to single enginge.
Gemini has a foothold in NZ.
Old 03 April 2019, 01:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojosrib View Post
Gemini has a foothold in NZ.
Yeah. At first i think people were worried they were a cheap asian brand as we get a lot of those here.

Ive seen a lot of 18-20ft lancers, they are 23 and 27 degree deadrises.

We have another brand, well 2, but very similar called Naiad, they are made in NZ down the very bottom for the rough Southern Ocean. The outer skin, is just that, a skin, to protect the tubes, then an inner tube like any RIB.

They are used by the coast guard etc. Most divers/fisherman go for the smaller 4m ally models as they feel very safe and are easy to tow, but they get up to 12m. They also used by the Police and a lot of tourism companies (you prob wont see another brand commercially here, Lancer is used for sailing support boats though).

https://www.naiad.co.nz/Boat+Range.html
Old 03 April 2019, 02:10   #7

Gemini WR550, Waiheke Island NZ. Not sure who the guy is.... Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3233.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	128941
Old 03 April 2019, 02:15   #8

Thanks Richard. I presume they are a single skin Hypalon tube?
Old 03 April 2019, 02:17   #9

Yes. Depending on specification I think they can be different weights of hypalon.
Old 03 April 2019, 03:25   #10

Thanks again Richard. Wavebreak is the other double skin RIB designer, I think the owner worked at Naiad, dont quote me. But Naiad is in nelson and wavebreak in picton, coincidense?

Rigid inflatable boats | RIBs | Wavebreak outboard RIB rigid hulled inflatables | Boats designed & manufactured by GP Engineering Nelson New Zealand
Old 03 April 2019, 03:37   #11

I think if I was worried I'd just get a STABICRAFT. I like the idea of a supercab anyway and if I had the money I think I'd be moving to one of those anyway. I particularly like the idea of one with an inboard jet....

However I'm a fair weather boater and don't venture far away from shelter...so I'm happy with the WR550.
Old 03 April 2019, 03:51   #12

Do gemini waveriders have built in fuel tanks? Im looking at a 505, wondering what size the fuel tank is and how many degrees the deadrise is? Seems they dont make this model on their website anymore?
Old 03 April 2019, 04:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
I think if I was worried I'd just get a STABICRAFT. I like the idea of a supercab anyway and if I had the money I think I'd be moving to one of those anyway. I particularly like the idea of one with an inboard jet....

However I'm a fair weather boater and don't venture far away from shelter...so I'm happy with the WR550.
Honestly I prefer RIBs to ally pontoons, despite the allys being unsinkable with seperate partitions every 3 feet of 4-5mm ally. The problem I have found in owning one is they are hard riding. If I was going for all year round boating, imo you cant beat the Extreme 885 Game King.

Lockable full surrounded cocpit, lockable cabin for overnighting etc.

Its the largest size you can tow on the road. A few spear/fishing charter guys use it for this reason.

23 dearise, its 6mm hull and side ally.

450l fuel tank.

nearly 3m of beam

Flooding ballast for even more weight in water for those really rough conditions. Also acts as bouyancy.

Too much to list, but I think if you want to save money the smallest model that does a locking cocpit is the 645, as an option. Plenty of guys use these for getting to the Barrier etc which is, 80km or 40nm, i forget, 4.5 hours on the ferry haha.

885 Game King | Extreme Boats

Also the other problem with Stabis etc is their internal beam, due to the pontoons they dont have a lot of room. The Extreme and also Southern boats ride more like a traditional glass boat but have the benefit of being lighter and less fuel to run and of course the benefit of underfloor bouyancy which kind of negates the need for a stabicract.

They are the only boat to build to Survey Standard on ALL their boats.

http://www.extremeboats.co.nz/extreme-advantage
Old 03 April 2019, 04:21   #14

Wow the Gem WR505 has a 30 degree deadrise that is nuts !!!! Shame only 70l fuel tank, but 2 -3 large tote tanks will fix that.

https://www.tradeaboat.co.nz/reviews...505-inflatable
Old 03 April 2019, 04:36   #15

The fuel tanks were locally produced and fitted so can vary. My WR550 tank is about 100litre.
Old 03 April 2019, 04:48   #16

Yeah I assumed so. The 505 is fitted with a 70l, but with a 90hp that is quite small. Im wanting to use it not just for crafish/scallop diving but also offshore gamefishing, albacore and marlin (catch and release 90% of Marlin as one is enough smoked for a years eating given the high mercury count)>

So I would need about 60 litres to get out to the barrier and back and about 50 litres for trolling all day, so 2x25l totes will resolve it, OR one of those new reinforced fuel bladders in one of the under floor compartments.

Also for you, look at the BlackDog cats, watch the video of the 2 young guys in a 4m taken offshore 80km to the barrier and back just to go surfing haha.

Ive been on the ferry in 40kph and 5m swells and seen half the passengers puking, and thats a 100ft+ Cat.

I reckon the 545 Hard Top with its year round comfort would be awesome. They arent cheap of course with dual engines, but when I buy my extreme 895 I plan to run that on twin 225 Yamahas with the Helm Control that acts like a bow thruster as well as a lot of fishing features.

Blackdog Cat NZ Boats - The ultimate aluminium pontoon boat
Old 03 April 2019, 08:28   #17

There is not a lot of room in my underfloor storage. Most of it is taken by the tank and the space at the rear isn't accessible with the rear seat in place.

Also dead rise... I'm seeing different figures in different places. One saying a 550 is 20 degrees and a 505 24 degrees.
Old 03 April 2019, 09:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
Also dead rise... I'm seeing different figures in different places. One saying a 550 is 20 degrees and a 505 24 degrees.

Really odd, the 505 review here definitely say 30 degrees and if you look at it, it sure looks more than a 23 degree deadrise etc.

https://www.tradeaboat.co.nz/reviews...505-inflatable

I think the larger the boat the less it matters, but with small hulls if you dont cut through the water its definitely a lot more bang bang.

Gemini say only 20 degrees for the 550 which is a lot less than the NZ brands.

https://gemini-marine.com/shop/waverider-550-patrol/
Old 03 April 2019, 09:35   #19

Any idea on the Ballistic 7.8M Rib, seems a nice boat and if its deadrise is suitable could suit an offshore dive and fish boat. But I suspect its not a very deep V?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boa...095252ca988415
Old 03 April 2019, 19:32   #20

May be worth posting a specific question on here. They are British so people on here are likely to know them?

All the Gemini on Trademe seem on the pricey side at the moment (given what I paid a couple of years ago).

Tags
rib