Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 January 2021, 15:35   #1

Length: no boat
Drying mooring bad for a P22 MK2?

I've been on the lookout for a RIB for a while, and came across a Pacific 22 MK2 which is jet drive. All's good, but the mooring I will leave the boat on is drying.
Does anyone know the likelihood of the jet being at risk of getting stones/shells washing into it during the bottoming out on the low tide, and then risking turbine issues when starting up? Should I avoid a jet drive as a result of the mooring i'm stuck with for the foreseeable?

Thanks in advance.
Old 20 January 2021, 17:18   #2

Town: Ennis
Boat name: pac 22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: inboard
It should not be a problem. You could always make a habit of reversing the jet for a minute before leaving the mooring.
Old 20 January 2021, 19:02   #3

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Vulcan
Engine: Inboard diesel
I have a P22 Mk2 and love it especially the jet drive. Only thing I would say is the bullet proof Yanmar isn't the quitest but it has never let me down. By modern day standards it is not the quickest 30-35 knots but will handle seas rougher than I'd wish to be out in. I have often contemplated putting it on a mooring. Plenty of commercial vessels have jet drives so shouldn't be an issue especially if used regularly. My issue is not wanting to anti foul the hull.
Old 20 January 2021, 19:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAN357 View Post
I have a P22 Mk2 and love it especially the jet drive. Only thing I would say is the bullet proof Yanmar isn't the quitest but it has never let me down. By modern day standards it is not the quickest 30-35 knots but will handle seas rougher than I'd wish to be out in. I have often contemplated putting it on a mooring. Plenty of commercial vessels have jet drives so shouldn't be an issue especially if used regularly. My issue is not wanting to anti foul the hull.
Ahh glad to hear! Is your deck configured with the original seats and engine cover as i noticed the original cover has no soundproofing at all. I wonder if that box can be lined with the thick rubber/foam stuff often seen on inboard engine covers.

The issue with the mooring is that it dries out. Would you let your boat dry out on a sandy/stony sea bed every 16 hours or so for 3 months?

When moored, is it possible to configure the jets so they are less likely to get stones etc going in? Or perhaps do some people put some kind of cap over them? Or am I worrying about nothing!
Old 20 January 2021, 20:41   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Don’t worry about stones and weed getting into the drive when it’s drying out, the biggest problem is growth where you can’t get anti foul around the grille and through the water channel if the boat isn’t used enough.
Old 20 January 2021, 20:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
Don’t worry about stones and weed getting into the drive when it’s drying out, the biggest problem is growth where you can’t get anti foul around the grille and through the water channel if the boat isn’t used enough.
Very good point, definitely worth considering.
The mooring I have is in a fast flowing location and luckily doesn’t suffer a lot from high rate of growth of foul. But I’ll have a chat with some of the other guys I know with moorings in the same location.
Old 20 January 2021, 21:55   #7

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Vulcan
Engine: Inboard diesel
I wont even beach it so the the thought of allowing the hull to bounce and scratch on the sea bed every day doesn't interest me.