Old 24 December 2019, 00:17   #41

I’ve got a selection of drysuits:

Musto HPX, expensive but very breathable. Fine for yachting and light rib work but doesn’t feel like it would last long at all for heavy duty use. Worn with sailing boots.

2X Safequip swiftwater rescue suits, one I’ve had for 4 years or so, has had a lot of hammer in swiftwater and boat ops, which is very hard on kit, hasn’t given me any issue at all, now superseded with a new version. They’ve got latex socks and again as long as you’re careful not to walk about without boots on, and get changed on a changing mat they’re absolutely fine. I recommend two pairs of thermal socks if you’re going to spend long periods in the water, we can spend up to 12 hours in the water in rescue jobs and cold feet are miserable. I wear a variety of water boots with these, latterly Safequip Rocka which are brilliant. Replaced Goliaths which were comfy but took about a year to dry out!

Collins Nets Technical Rescue suit. Another thick rescue suit, very durable if not breathable. Has been bombproof. Now used for commercial work as it’s railway orange when working on safety boats on railway sites. Again latex socks and water boots.

Typhoon EZDon. Very quick on and off, easy to wear, used for fast rib work where I might need to move quickly on foot. Lightweight, packs down small for travel, nice easy plastic zips compared to the traditional zips on the rescue suits which need waxing to keep them mobile. Goretex or similar socks which are a bit more durable than latex. Used with work boots, but get a size bigger than normal to accommodate two pairs of socks again.

Hope this helps.

Tags
rib