Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 12 November 2005, 18:06   #1

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Do you go boating by yourself? (safety related)

I ask because I always go with someone in my boat. Especially when I'm crossing the channel here which is roughly 26 miles one way. I have all the safety gear, inflatable pfds, radios, gps, flares, horns, etc ( no aux motor). I figure going with someone adds some measure of safety just in case I were to hit my head or get ejected and go unconscious or just as an extra pair of eyes and brains for when trouble might occur. I wonder what everyones take is on going out by yourself if you do? What extra precautions do you take? Oh I also always leave a float plan with a family member.

I guess cruising along the coast I would have no problems going by myself. The real motivation I guess is that I would like to go by myself at times so I'm not always relying on someone else choosing to tag along.
Old 12 November 2005, 18:18   #2

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Hi Boatster
I asked that question myself and had some very useful replies on this thread

going solo
Old 12 November 2005, 18:19   #3

Hi Kernow,

I guess I should have done a search first. Got it. Thanks.
Old 12 November 2005, 18:20   #4

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
I do go out on the boat by myself, not often, but it does happen from time to time. There is no difference in the safety side as to whether there are 3 people with me or just on my own. Before I leave, I always let a family member know where I'm going and return time. Similarly with the safety equipment I carry - whenever out, I always carry my handheld vhf attached to the lifejacket, and if going far offshore, the handheld gps is attached too.
Unfortunately, most of my family and friends who come out with me aren't exactly great on the water - they love going out on the water, but when it comes to boat handling etc... they're not great. This means that pretty much whenever I go out, I will do just about everything myself anyway.

If we go out to the smalls, which is about 30miles offshore, I'd always prefer to be out there with a 2nd boat if possible since if there was a problem that far out like boat sinking/inverting/other I don't think many people would hear the handheld vhf, and being in the water for a very long period of time would not be great.

There are a couple of things which I don't carry on me, but have thought about - one is a pack of small flares which fit in pocket, have read about them on the forum before, and really should buy. The other is an arm attached epirb like our guys wear at work when they're working at night on their own.... it's expensive, but if you're concerned and did end up in the water you should be picked up eventually.....

-Alex
Old 12 November 2005, 18:39   #5

Kernow,

That was a good read. Thanks.

Hi Alex,

I do agree having a second boat is the best alternative but thats almost as troublesome to arrange as dragging a passenger along.

Safety precautions I probably would take is to carry the handheld vhf in my jacket. An eprib would be an investment, I'd have to start saving some $ for that. I always clip the kill cord to a belt loop on my pants.
Old 12 November 2005, 18:43   #6

Has anyone thought of using some kind of man overboard dye so that you could be spotted in the water by Coastguard? Something like military pilots use when they eject into the ocean.

Oh, and I do have a personal strobe attached to my pfd if by any stroke of unluck I end up in the water towards dusk.
Old 12 November 2005, 18:49   #7

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
MMSI: 4
Deepending on whereabouts your concerned about spending time in the water Boatster, I would consider shark repellant dye instead of the man overboard dye..
Old 12 November 2005, 19:04   #8

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Brown
one is a pack of small flares which fit in pocket, have read about them on the forum before, and really should buy.
Agree. We got these having seen them with an Instructor.

Back-up, back-up, back-up if on your own.

Us
Old 12 November 2005, 19:13   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Lets face it many round the world yachtsmen cope quite well singlehanded.

Obviously having 2 crew is an asset but not always - THEY may be the ones to get into trouble and then you risk yourself by trying to help. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

I do carry a pack of those small flares in a pocket BUT I wonder which is a greater risk - not being spotted because you haven't got them or them going off in your pocket and blowing you to bits!!!

One invaluable safety product is a small freezer bag with a ziplock top. Put your mobile phone in that and it will still work if all else fails!!!
Old 12 November 2005, 19:32   #10

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Lets face it many round the world yachtsmen cope quite well singlehanded.

Obviously having 2 crew is an asset but not always - THEY may be the ones to get into trouble and then you risk yourself by trying to help. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

I do carry a pack of those small flares in a pocket BUT I wonder which is a greater risk - not being spotted because you haven't got them or them going off in your pocket and blowing you to bits!!!

One invaluable safety product is a small freezer bag with a ziplock top. Put your mobile phone in that and it will still work if all else fails!!!
serious question here codders.....

will you be going out in your new rib on your own or will you be typically accompanied by a friend?

myself i will typically be going out with a friend or with family as the norm, and if i was going across the channel i would defo go with another boat or with company, preferably a salty sea dog!!!
Old 12 November 2005, 19:49   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
serious question here codders.....

will you be going out in your new rib on your own or will you be typically accompanied by a friend?

myself i will typically be going out with a friend or with family as the norm, and if i was going across the channel i would defo go with another boat or with company, preferably a salty sea dog!!!
With the cost of fuel what do you think?

Just as well I have 12 seats really - thing that annoys me is that I will have to wait until summer to see the girls using the 7ft sunbed in the bow!!!
Old 12 November 2005, 19:52   #12

MMSI: Nope
Frequently solo in my boat. (William - no- mates)
Never a problem.
Have always taken every precaution required or that I think is necessary.

However.....i am usually in or near the Solent (the back garden) or not far from it if help is needed.

Haven't needed it yet in 29 years but that doesn't mean I won't...so I always go out prepared for the worst and happy when the best occurs.

Circumstances may be different where you are due to lack of proximity to other people/boaters.

Bottom line....do what you think is right for the area in which you operate and...where the sea is concerned.....try to not put yourself at risk or any one else that may have to come to your assistance.

AIMHO of course.

Here endeth the sermon.

Amen
Old 12 November 2005, 20:08   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Don't worry about the flare pack spontaneously combusting it's a lot smaller risk than not having them and drowning.!

I used to go out on my boat all the time alone, in fact it was the reason I bought it, but Ribbing is a rather social activity as I found out.

It's my belief that you should carry appropriate safety equipment for the voyage in hand and the risks you have assessed, eg if you are worried about getting knocked out then you'd better be wearing a helmet (or if you've accepted a lift from a certain ETec owner). Also have a strategy for recovering yourself if things do go wrong and you leave the boat.

Which will obviously stop when you leave cos the Kill cord will activate !

From what I recall from your Posts you seem a fairly enthusiastic and sensible water rat so have you had any safety training! DO the CG do any over there. There are a few leaflets and stuff published by our coastguard and RNLI and a good book by the RYA if you'd like copies PM me and I'll send them to you, you might have to push me as I am administratively challenged!

On other thing is whem you are on your own you should maybe drop the acceptable boating conditions down a notch in case you do crap out!!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 21:40   #14

Great info. Pocket flares are something to consider. The channel I cross can be pretty nasty I've heard and witnessed on a crossing. However I am very keen to read multiple weather predictions for cross reference before even considering. I believe my safety standards are decent and my tolerance for conditions are quite low. I think crossing solo is probably doable for me. I'll have to give it a shot in the best of conditions and progress from there.

I initially thought going solo was something alot of rib.netters do frequently.
So what about the dye stuff? Anyone using something like that for daytime distress visibility?

Thanks for the replies, I'm def considering an eprib.
Old 12 November 2005, 22:35   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Just go canny. Don't rush anything, you'll end up winding yourself up a notch. Watch the conditions, don't go leaping off waves when there really is no need. If you're in a following sea, turn back and face it to see whether you still feel fine about having to return if it gets rougher. I wee rule I made myself long ago is, if I have to work the throttle to make progress, the conditions are rough.
Old 12 November 2005, 22:40   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2005, 07:51   #17

Length: 7m +
Personal Safety

1. Given the benefits of personal flares versus the cost it would be silly not to carry them on you if operating alone.
2. Persnal vhf V mobile no competition, vhf every time. Its bugger all use having a phone once your out of range, while you may be in range of other shipping on vhf who can relay message. Also a lot of rescue agencies use vhf direction finding as a search aid. Add to all of this that you can buy waterproof vhf (havent heard of a waterproof phone yet) that does not require the integrity of waterproof bag and i think you have the solution.
3. Finally if you do consider the epirb option please dont be tempted by the cheap as chips one from the guy in the pub. Its probably already registered which wont help if the coastguard call the owner and he says "no his fishing boat/yatch etc is fine in the marina". Also the less that can be done to encourage the illict trade in safety items, therefore creating a market and a demand for some people to "aquire" more the better.

Take the right precautions and alone is a cool way to go.
PS. If the people you take out are not that good in a boat, then at least show them. costs nothing to practice man overboard (with a fender or similar not yourself!)and show someone how to use the radio. Remember Chris Evens when he was involved with the loss of a skipper over the side and he couldnt use the vhf!!!!
Old 13 November 2005, 07:58   #18

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan
If the people you take out are not that good in a boat, then at least show them. costs nothing to practice man overboard (with a fender or similar not yourself!)and show someone how to use the radio.
Good advice. Also worth practising in different conditions. I've almost killed the fender a few times

Quote:
Remember Chris Evens when he was involved with the loss of a skipper over the side and he couldnt use the vhf!!!!
Certainly was a needless tragedy.

missus
Old 17 November 2005, 02:07   #19

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
I often used to just go with friends - but now my work situation means that I find myself alone midweek with bugger all to do... so I think about going on a rib journey quite often.... usually i would stay within sight of land or sometimes even just in the harbour but am considering a longer trip sometime early next year when the weather gets hotter....

i think that you have to take the same safety precautions whether solo or with friends really... especially if you are the only one competent to manage the boat...

i am not sure i would like to go 20 miles offshore solo - but then I only have a 5metre boat...
Old 17 November 2005, 03:46   #20

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Boatster,
did that 26 mile crossing to Catalina earlier in the year and was surprised how quickly the sea state can change.
I was with my family and not solo;but must admit on the way back would have preffered that. (for their sake!
Having to constantly check on everyone and adapt the driving for everyones comfort was somewhat distracting. In hindsite we should have booked into a hotel overnight and made the morning trip back when the water was calmer.
I had done the coastguard safety courses and was armed to the teeth with safety gear. Made sure the inflatable PFD had crotch strap/with extra portable VHF and added signals in a heavy duty fanny pack(bum bag).Found that a useful way to keep all immediate needs handy in case you do get chucked out of the boat.Ziploc bag everything and you have a workable safety kit attached to you.
That stretch of water is well covered and I didnt think it warranted the epirb (,but did carry orange smoke and orange streamer as well as several types of flares.)
cheers Dal