Click Here to Login

Old 22 November 2020, 18:47   #1

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: N/A
Make: Valient
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60HP 4 stroke
Suzuki outboard DT65 1998 issue

Hi everyone - looking for a little advice / help. I am running a Suzuki DT65 of my Valiant V450, and had an issue out on the water today. After around 30 minutes of great boating I stopped around one of the forts just off Portsmouth Harbour. After idling a little while, I throttled back up to leave, and the engine choked a few times, almost shutting down, so I throttled back to neutral. It ticked over fine so throttled up once again. I managed to get the revs up and hit a decent speed, maintained it fine, then once closer to land throttled her back. The engine once again started spluttering and shut down. The engine fired straight back up, but spluttered and made chirping noises, almost like small misfires, enough to kick the engine to one side every time it chirped. I got a tow back into harbour, but am left wondering what is wrong. I have a strong flow of water going in and out of the engine (tell tail is strong) Once back in to the marina, I fired her back up and got the rib onto my pontoon. I flushed her out, no issues - fuel is not old (3 weeks) just looking for advice. Some internet searching has suggested cleaning the carbs out (Sea foam motor tune seems effective) all help and suggestions appreciated! Withers![/FONT]
Old 22 November 2020, 20:02   #2

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Definitely have the carbs off for a clean and perhaps look at fuel pump rebuild, inspect your fuel lines to ensure they have degraded internally, the lining of mine was falling apart!
Old 22 November 2020, 21:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allye View Post
Definitely have the carbs off for a clean and perhaps look at fuel pump rebuild, inspect your fuel lines to ensure they have degraded internally, the lining of mine was falling apart!
Thanks Allye, makes sense and after some follow on research I think the only way I can have full confidence in the carbs is to get them off and have them ultrasonic cleaned - Withers!
Old 23 November 2020, 10:26   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I'd be checking the fuel filter, pump, and all pipes before whipping the carbs off.

There could be some crud in there impeding flow that needs a bit of suction built up with revs to overcome.

Nasher.
Old 24 November 2020, 19:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I'd be checking the fuel filter, pump, and all pipes before whipping the carbs off.

There could be some crud in there impeding flow that needs a bit of suction built up with revs to overcome.

Nasher.
Thanks Nasher - She is getting serviced so will replace the fuel filter. I dont have any history on the engine so the carbs may well have been on there since new (22 years) think it would be worth a re-set and a balance :-) Id love to get a 4 stroke, but cant really find any good retail outlets for one.
Old 25 November 2020, 03:16   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Hi, you live in about the most densely populated outboard area on the country - if you want another Suzuki, try Marine Matters on the Hamble or for that size of engine maybe a 2 stroke Evinrude from Powertech Marine on Hayling Island.
Every other manufacturer has a main agent based in the area as well. If you want a second hand engine, you’ll probably struggle a bit at the moment I don’t think there’s much available.

Tags
suzuki, outboard