Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 26 April 2008, 08:56   #1

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Depreciation from new? over 1,2.3 years.

Six million dollar question I know, but what percentage would a six meter rib loose in deprication in say !, 2, 3 years. Is there an Industry standard or a guide of some sort that can be viewed.
Old 26 April 2008, 09:32   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
i don't think you can come up with a magic number for all 6m ribs. as well as obviously depending on condition, how its been stored, how many hours are on the engine etc; it must to some extent depend on brand, like cars. i guess anything which makes your boat less appealing to the general buyer (e.g odd seat layouts, wierd colours) will make it harder to sell and probably worth less. a bad choice of engine might make the package seem less attractive/valuable too.

a while back i mentioned a "typical" number of 10% p.a. that someone else had suggested. and this was totally dismissed by owers of some of the more "quality" (or percieved quality) brands, as being was too agressive.

If a similar boat is available brand new quite quickly that will also make it depreciate quicker at the start. If the manufacturer has a 6 month lead time, then a 1 year old boat may be worth closer to the new price.

time of year makes a difference too (cheaper at end of season, than start of next)
Old 26 April 2008, 16:57   #3

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Thanks Polwart, I know there is no definitive answer to this, but knowing what price to advertise 'your boat' for sale, is quite difficult. I know market forces prevail, but knowing a fair price (obvious adjustments for condition/accessories etc,) would help stop all the time and effort wasted when it comes to viewing and potential sea trials.

Glass's guide for used cars is useful, I just thought there may have been something similar for boats.
Old 26 April 2008, 20:40   #4

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
I would phone up Jase at JBT Marine, get a figure for cash purchase, get a figure for retail sale on brokerage and somewhere inbetween will be about right..