Old 09 April 2021, 07:31   #1

Town: Borlange
Boat name: Optima Vita
Make: XS
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 2 x 250
MMSI: 265019760
Crossing channel

If my plans goes the way i want and dont collide with coronarestrictions, i would want to cross the English channel over to Holland.

I have some waterexperience but no local experience.

Does anyone have a word or two to say about it?

First week of may is my highly preliminary plan.

Traffic, weather, any ”must knows”?
Old 09 April 2021, 09:10   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
From where to where?
What boat?
Give us a bit of a clue, difficult to offer advice otherwise.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2021, 09:29   #3

Gallions Point marina to Hoek van Holland.

Its an 8,5 m rib.
Old 09 April 2021, 09:40   #4

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
As I said, I'd do Dover to Calais / Dunkirk and then head up hugging the coast from there.

The distance isn't much more but the time at sea out of the sight of land is much much less, and its busy down there so if something does go wrong you will find alot more assistance close by.

You really do need to do some research and planning, the English Channel stops at the Dover Straits and north of there you are in the North Sea.

The trip you are considering is not one I would take on lightly. The North Sea can be a very unpleasant place to be.

The last thing I will say on the matter is that the trip really ought to be carried out with atleast two people on board and with all necessary safety and navigation equipment.
Old 09 April 2021, 09:54   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Oskar View Post

Its an 8,5 m rib.

How much fuel can it carry?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2021, 10:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
As I said, I'd do Dover to Calais / Dunkirk and then head up hugging the coast from there.

The distance isn't much more but the time at sea out of the sight of land is much much less, and its busy down there so if something does go wrong you will find alot more assistance close by.

You really do need to do some research and planning, the English Channel stops at the Dover Straits and north of there you are in the North Sea.

The trip you are considering is not one I would take on lightly. The North Sea can be a very unpleasant place to be.

The last thing I will say on the matter is that the trip really ought to be carried out with atleast two people on board and with all necessary safety and navigation equipment.

Totally agree on the first 4.

Radar, nav, vhf with dsc, extra nav on pad, floating overall.

Do i miss something?

If i get the chance i will choose the right day weatherwise.
Old 09 April 2021, 10:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
How much fuel can it carry?
2 x 250 L
Old 09 April 2021, 10:39   #8

RIBase
Crossing channel

Quote:
2 x 250 L

That “should” be good for 200nm [emoji106] which will get you across the North Sea. You could launch at Hull & follow the Ferry to Hook of Holland. Circa 190nm/10 hours at a steady 20kn.
In different times (non-Covid) I’d consider coming across as a foot passenger. Collect the boat, stick it in a marina for a few days, do some sea trials & initial run-in on the engines & then sail it back to your port of choice where car & trailer are waiting, (what are you towing it with? It’ll need to be hefty) Unfortunately these aren’t normal times and I genuinely think you should consider shipping it overland. There are far too many un-knowns to factor in. The last thing you need is arriving back in the EU & having the boat impounded by the authorities due to lack of paperwork (have you got all the customs/duty side of things arranged?) or quarantine infringement. Relations between the UK & EU aren’t at their best at the moment & they don’t need much of an excuse to play silly buggers. Just make sure you don’t have any ham/cheese/salad/seafood sandwiches with you[emoji849]
You’ll also want to insure your new baby & that might be an issue too.
Have you looked into getting a small transport company with a flat bed truck & Hiab? Let them load it at this end, meet you in Calais/Dunkirk etc & Hiab it off the truck onto your trailer, Bob’s your mother’s brother.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 09 April 2021, 11:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That “should” be good for 200nm [emoji106] which will get you across the North Sea. You could launch at Hull & follow the Ferry to Hook of Holland. Circa 190nm/10 hours at a steady 20kn.
In different times (non-Covid) I’d consider coming across as a foot passenger. Collect the boat, stick it in a marina for a few days, do some sea trials & initial run-in on the engines & then sail it back to your port of choice where car & trailer are waiting, (what are you towing it with? It’ll need to be hefty) Unfortunately these aren’t normal times and I genuinely think you should consider shipping it overland. There are far too many un-knowns to factor in. The last thing you need is arriving back in the EU & having the boat impounded by the authorities due to lack of paperwork (have you got all the customs/duty side of things arranged?) or quarantine infringement. Relations between the UK & EU aren’t at their best at the moment & they don’t need much of an excuse to play silly buggers. Just make sure you don’t have any ham/cheese/salad/seafood sandwiches with you[emoji849]
You’ll also want to insure your new baby & that might be an issue too.
Have you looked into getting a small transport company with a flat bed truck & Hiab? Let them load it at this end, meet you in Calais/Dunkirk etc & Hiab it off the truck onto your trailer, Bob’s your mother’s brother.

Starting with saying thanks for your time and ideas.
The non-civid plan would suit me perfect.
For now i am putting several plans on the table.
When it comes to the actual date i have too see wich one is possible.
XS has promised to bring all export documents needed and i spoke myself to Swedish toll authoritys about how to do it. Should be covered, but i know sometimes reality shows different.
I am towing with a VW amarok v6, and a brand new 3500kg Fogelsta trailer.
And yes, one of my plans include having it delivered to other side of water as you said. Small moving company with their own trailer and then we swap at nearest slipway.
Insurance is covered by Pantenius, so i will be fully covered on land, water and on trailer i the area.

UK says to be fully open coronawise 21 jun, in worst case i wait until then.
Old 09 April 2021, 11:17   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I won't comment on the routing just now, but....
Why don't you get a PROPER transport company to pick up in the UK and transport DIRECTLY to your marina in Sweden.
That takes ALL the hassle out. Border controls (at least 4/5/6 countries BOTH ways), accommodation, meals, fuel, paperwork etc. ...not your problem, in fact it might be better for the UK (XS) to arrange your transport
And the cost won't be much more especially if you are driving boat/trailing all the way to Sweden.
I would also question the use of a HIAB. It might not be man enough to lift/hold securely. A rolling archway type lift might be better. Most UK marinas have one-I don't know about Sweden.

I am always all for "no hassle" type solution to all problems.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2021, 11:23   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Starting with saying thanks for your time and ideas.

The non-civid plan would suit me perfect.

For now i am putting several plans on the table.

When it comes to the actual date i have too see wich one is possible.

XS has promised to bring all export documents needed and i spoke myself to Swedish toll authoritys about how to do it. Should be covered, but i know sometimes reality shows different.

I am towing with a VW amarok v6, and a brand new 3500kg Fogelsta trailer.

And yes, one of my plans include having it delivered to other side of water as you said. Small moving company with their own trailer and then we swap at nearest slipway.

Insurance is covered by Pantenius, so i will be fully covered on land, water and on trailer i the area.

UK says to be fully open coronawise 21 jun, in worst case i wait until then.

There are various boat transport companies operating in the UK. They have trailers & tow vehicles. I think one of them is a member on here. SW Boat Transport. Hiab might be easier, saves finding somewhere to launch the boat.
Old 09 April 2021, 11:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I won't comment on the routing just now, but....
Why don't you get a PROPER transport company to pick up in the UK and transport DIRECTLY to your marina in Sweden.
That takes ALL the hassle out. Border controls (at least 4/5/6 countries BOTH ways), accommodation, meals, fuel, paperwork etc. ...not your problem, in fact it might be better for the UK (XS) to arrange your transport
And the cost won't be much more especially if you are driving boat/trailing all the way to Sweden.
I would also question the use of a HIAB. It might not be man enough to lift/hold securely. A rolling archway type lift might be better. Most UK marinas have one-I don't know about Sweden.

I am always all for "no hassle" type solution to all problems.

One detail is that having it done by a transport company is exactly 2700 gbp more expensive.

And yes, all expenses into the numbers, ferry, fuel, coronatests, etc,etc.

One of the reasons for that is that by Swedish toll law, you pay the vat for the transport twice. Tripple checked at toll authoritys.

And i miss the adventure and possibility to meet the people at XS.
Old 09 April 2021, 12:45   #13

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I dont get everyones negativity towards your plan its roughly 100nm from Harwich to Holland which is probably doable in less than 4 hours in this boat even taking it easy. Yes the north sea can be rough but it can also be a millpond too. Weather forecasts are accurate & plentiful & as long as the day is picked with weather in mind the trip is easily doable in this boat with the correct planning. Absolutely no way I'd consider putting it on a truck if I was in the same situation.
Go for it & let us know how you get on [emoji106]
Old 09 April 2021, 13:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I dont get everyones negativity towards your plan its roughly 100nm from Harwich to Holland which is probably doable in less than 4 hours in this boat even taking it easy. Yes the north sea can be rough but it can also be a millpond too. Weather forecasts are accurate & plentiful & as long as the day is picked with weather in mind the trip is easily doable in this boat with the correct planning. Absolutely no way I'd consider putting it on a truck if I was in the same situation.
I would agree if it were me too. But it isn't.

In my defence I would not like to encourage anybody to travel that distance at sea when they don't even know what the stretch of water is called, just look at the thread title. To me that's not a beginners trip.

There is a lot to consider and navigate around, and I have no idea what this guys experience levels are like.

Don't wish to offend, just saying.
Old 09 April 2021, 13:17   #15

RIBase
Quote:

I think the sea crossing is the least of the problems tbh, it’s all the Covid nonsense that’s the fly in the ointment. The marine side wouldn’t phase me at all, it’s the ever shifting bureaucracy.
Old 09 April 2021, 14:01   #16

Town: Falmouth
Engine: Yam 150F
I agree that the biggest issue is COVID and being compliant, as you're not travelling to the UK as a commercial operator then I'm not sure you can just come in to collect a boat as the UK government wouldn't class this as essential travel. Also be aware that the lifting of restrictions in England in June are for English residents within the UK, this doesn't mean that you can come in then either. I'd follow the advice that others have suggested and pay for a proper commercial operator to transport the boat from the UK to Holland, then if you say you can cross boarders in the EU without breaking any rules, transfer the boat onto your trailer in Holland and you tow it back to your home base. The UK commercial operator will have an operators license so can travel and comply with COVID rules from the UK to Holland. There are plenty of UK boat hauliers or you could find a Dutch one?
Old 09 April 2021, 14:24   #17

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
I would agree if it were me too. But it isn't.

In my defence I would not like to encourage anybody to travel that distance at sea when they don't even know what the stretch of water is called, just look at the thread title. To me that's not a beginners trip.

There is a lot to consider and navigate around, and I have no idea what this guys experience levels are like.

Don't wish to offend, just saying.
You just need look at the boat, its spec and his conversation here to know the guy is either pretty experienced or meticulously researches and plans whatever he's doing either way I'd say he's probably more than capable of undertaking a 4 hour crossing in this boat
Old 09 April 2021, 14:34   #18

Quote:
You just need look at the boat, its spec and his conversation here to know the guy is either pretty experienced or meticulously researches and plans whatever he's doing either way I'd say he's probably more than capable of undertaking a 4 hour crossing in this boat
Fair enough.
Old 09 April 2021, 14:36   #19

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Quote:

Its an 8,5 m rib.
Is that where the boat is mored on the Thames then?

Sounds like great exposition but id want a good crew & kit and have some knowledge of the boats sea worthiness and reliability.
A good weather window too....
Old 09 April 2021, 15:03   #20

Posts no 13-18, i agree with all of you.

I would also be careful giving advise that even potentially could cause anyone else problems. And yes, main problem is the virus.

I will absolutely keep you all updated in this story. Thats the least i could do to repay for all good ideas and help.

Just to give you an idea about who will do the crossing.
Im a aircraft engineer why i have a hard time doing anything by chance. If it comes to the actual trip, i will be very prepaired in every way.
Buy sea i dont consider myself experienced due to lack of hours at sea, but i do have a seacaptain licence issued by Swedish authority. I have only had the sea as a hobby, but i completed the education just go get a lot of knowledge in a short time.
But i also know not to compare that to real experience. That school starts now with this boat.