Old 11 April 2021, 08:37   #41

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
The roughest sailing trip my mother recalls in her 30 years of sailing is on exactly that route. Probably still not "ocean" rough, but definately can get very very nasty.
Old 11 April 2021, 10:24   #42

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Oskar View Post

UK says to be fully open coronawise 21 jun, in worst case i wait until then.
I wouldn't bank on it from a foreign travel perspective.

The 21st June date is for internal restrictions.
Old 11 April 2021, 10:36   #43

Town: Borlange
Boat name: Optima Vita
Make: XS
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 2 x 250
MMSI: 265019760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I wouldn't bank on it from a foreign travel perspective.

The 21st June date is for internal restrictions.

I know my guesses is just guesses. And even when its said it can change at short notice.

Thats my point with this thread.

To find as many options as possible, to make it happen when we get there.
Old 11 April 2021, 10:42   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The roughest sailing trip my mother recalls in her 30 years of sailing is on exactly that route. Probably still not "ocean" rough, but definately can get very very nasty.

I definately belive you. The movie posted earlier i think would get anyone to think twice.

But its still ”just” 21 miles from land to land, so in a fine day it should be doable without stress.

In comparsion, (but still not compareble) i in 2018 did 74 miles over the ocean between Italian coast and Corsica on a jetski...

Worked perfectly fine in good weather, and i did not have to execute plan B or C.
Old 11 April 2021, 11:14   #45

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Absolutely. On the Round Britain 2008 the guys were doing 200 miles in terrible conditions sometimes.

The key thing is to choose your time so that you have a good weather window.
In fact, with hindsight, the east coast route we did wasn't dover to calais, it was more like Margate to Ostend.

I plan on doing a Nab Tower to Chergbourg run, there and back in a day, one day.
Old 11 April 2021, 12:27   #46

Town: lattes
Boat name: BENEDETT
Make: lomac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70 HP
RIBase
Do You know that Mister Giuseppe Aiello, creator and manager of the magnific ribs Jockerboat, went yesterday in a world that they sai that it is better ?

Rest in peace, Giuseppe! and thank you for the pleasure that creed your products.

And sail on heaventies waves!
Old 11 April 2021, 15:39   #47

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Of I can throw in my metaphoric oar here.......
Putting aside the complications of COVID for a moment, All the other advice and cautions about a long sea trip in a new and untested boat are absolutely valid. Your absolutely key consideration is going to be the weather forecast and how the boat performs. You need to plan in at least a few days of sea trials in the UK. My concern would be that having fixed a date based on best info you might travel to the UK and either not get the expected weather, or have a seemingly minor issue with the boat. Having committed a significant amount of money and time in just getting to the UK, you may be tempted to push on regardless with the potential to get yourself into a heap of trouble.
Alternative will be to go home and try again = more money.
When you weigh up the cost options, I'd be costing in at least one abortive trip to the UK.
One Spring a few years back I took a 34ft sailing yacht over for a week's cruising the Irish coast from my home port of Milford Haven. 65mile crossing. We hit some poor weather, aborted the return leg, left the boat in Ireland and flew home. By the time we co-ordinated weather and crew diaries it took us until the end of the summer to get the boat home and lost a season's sailing.
Your planned delivery trip will be a great adventure if it goes to plan but not wishing to sound like a killjoy, If I were in your shoes, unless my diary made me and my crew completely flexible 'd be having the boat professionally delivered at least to Europe, probably to my home marina, shiney and new and I'd be enjoying it from there...
Just my view after nearly 40 years of boating....
Old 11 April 2021, 20:45   #48

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Of I can throw in my metaphoric oar here.......
Putting aside the complications of COVID for a moment, All the other advice and cautions about a long sea trip in a new and untested boat are absolutely valid. Your absolutely key consideration is going to be the weather forecast and how the boat performs. You need to plan in at least a few days of sea trials in the UK. My concern would be that having fixed a date based on best info you might travel to the UK and either not get the expected weather, or have a seemingly minor issue with the boat. Having committed a significant amount of money and time in just getting to the UK, you may be tempted to push on regardless with the potential to get yourself into a heap of trouble.
Alternative will be to go home and try again = more money.
When you weigh up the cost options, I'd be costing in at least one abortive trip to the UK.
One Spring a few years back I took a 34ft sailing yacht over for a week's cruising the Irish coast from my home port of Milford Haven. 65mile crossing. We hit some poor weather, aborted the return leg, left the boat in Ireland and flew home. By the time we co-ordinated weather and crew diaries it took us until the end of the summer to get the boat home and lost a season's sailing.
Your planned delivery trip will be a great adventure if it goes to plan but not wishing to sound like a killjoy, If I were in your shoes, unless my diary made me and my crew completely flexible 'd be having the boat professionally delivered at least to Europe, probably to my home marina, shiney and new and I'd be enjoying it from there...
Just my view after nearly 40 years of boating....
Where's the fun in getting a boat delivered by truck at great expense? In comparison to your trip the ops coast to coast journey in good weather is 3 to 4 hours in his boat unlike your 10+ hour crossing the chances of weather changing in his relatively short time at sea are far less than your crossing I agree timing and planning are key but hes coming to the right time of year and if he has to stay a few extra nights in a hotel waiting for the right weather window I'm sure it wont cost anywhere near the cost of trucking it over. He needs time on his hands to be able to wait for his weather window but its a relatively easy sea crossing once the weather window opens up.
Old 12 April 2021, 05:24   #49

Totally agree, thanks for that.

If i get to decide, i think this is the way. Why say no to a little adventure?!

But i also feel that the virus might do the decision for me...
Old 12 April 2021, 10:01   #50

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Not really too much in the way of a nice launch area in Harwich.
Brightlingsea is better and free ish..
Im local to the area if you go down this route and need help launching?