Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Badlands
Make: Brig Eagle 8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 350
MMSI: 232030310
Cleaning off Seagull mess?

Hi all,

So my RIB is in a harbour off N. Cornwall with no facilities for a few weeks.

The seagulls etc are brutal. I've been using an 8L hand pressure washer daily to try and keep on top of it using fresh water I hand carry down to the harbour, but its not really working and I am losing the battle.

Considering using a 12v pressure washer with sea water pulled from the harbour instead to try and keep her clean. Will this do more harm than good using sea water and brush with the pressure washer. She will get a full wash / valet when back in the boat yard early August so this is a temporary fix.

I have 12v connections on the boat, plus she has a T-Top that rules out a cover. Comments and thoughts appreciated.
Old 19 July 2021, 21:38   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Are the seagulls actually sitting on the boat and leaving the mess? If so can you make up some scaring devices to try and convince them to go and sit on another boat instead?

Failing that, there should be no reason a T-Top prevents having a cover - my 9m Ribtec had a beautiful custom cover with zips and buckles to fit perfectly around the T-top framing.
Old 20 July 2021, 07:42   #3

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Worx do a neat 21v battery jet washer that can run off a bucket. Reviews are mixed but I've always found ours pretty good for small jobs.

My friend has a hard boat with a live bait well, and he used to use the seawater from that with a stiff brush to wash down his deck after a big trip so no harm in using seawater to clean.

Agree that prevention will be best - look at getting some bird scarers if you can, or some sort of cover if possible (even a tarp tied down will keep the worst off)
Old 20 July 2021, 09:28   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
Are the seagulls actually shitting on the boat and leaving the mess? .

I think that’s what he said[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 10:53   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I hate to be picky Pikey, but I'm not seeing it?

He did refer to "mess" - so I suppose it depends on your interpretation of "mess". I know that dog mess is quite specific, but then kids leave a mess too and one would be hopeful that they aren't the same. Maybe the seagulls just refuse to straighten up the lines and buoys after a rest on yer man's RIB.

Old 20 July 2021, 11:45   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndlandguy View Post
Hi all,

So my RIB is in a harbour off N. Cornwall with no facilities for a few weeks.

The seagulls etc are brutal. I've been using an 8L hand pressure washer daily to try and keep on top of it using fresh water I hand carry down to the harbour, but its not really working and I am losing the battle.

Considering using a 12v pressure washer with sea water pulled from the harbour instead to try and keep her clean. Will this do more harm than good using sea water and brush with the pressure washer. She will get a full wash / valet when back in the boat yard early August so this is a temporary fix.

I have 12v connections on the boat, plus she has a T-Top that rules out a cover. Comments and thoughts appreciated.
It's a perfect storm with the weather as it is any Seagul "activity" will soon bake on and can sometimes leave perminant marks depending on the surface.
Salt water won't hurt.. especially short term...a cheap Tarp cover will help...(if it's not too windy) draped over a rope tied from A-frame to top of consul and then to Bow...and secured on lifelines or similar.
As will liberal coatings of Areosoace 303/Armour-All ect.ect which will help build a barrier.
You could try swapping you're location too....often they congregate in certain areas for ease of access to food sources.....Vantage points scoping out unwary Holiday makers with food/ice creams ect
If it's REALLY BAD and doing damage!.. the only real alternative is launching and recovering each time you use it...
Which is what I would probably do

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:26   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Was a thread not long ago about it. But a bit like protecting your prize strawberry plants

Outwith a massive net or in this case cover, what ever method you use will only work for a short time and you've got to keep changing it up..

There is a way with thin fishing line and cds tied to them that works which they hate to land on, but like a shotgun, that very effective method is frowned on!

You could try a couple of kids windmills to create movement and a scarecrow.

The dummy owl or bird of prey is popular. but some say its got to be quite high above the birds to really work because instinct tells them that's where they get attacked from.

Recently on a YouTube video of Jim Davidsons boat he had a snake on his for keeping them off.

My favourite one is you can always just throw chips over the other boats well away from yours
Old 20 July 2021, 12:43   #8

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Badlands
Make: Brig Eagle 8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 350
MMSI: 232030310
Thanks for the input guys, and yes just for clarity, mess = shit, and shit of biblical proportions.

I do take my boat out and fully clean etc 2 or three times a season, but I am a 2 hour motor from the recovery yard, so needed a cleaning solution on site at my local harbour.

I have just taken the tip to get a 12v pressure washer which I will use with sea water. Not ideal I know, but carting fresh water down from the tap to the boat not an option and there are no taps at the harbour to keep filling the bucket.

I guess cleaning with sea water is better than leaving the shit baking in the sun, so will give pressure washing with a brush a go. Thanks for your comments.
Old 20 July 2021, 14:59   #9

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
No comment!