Click Here to Login

Old 28 November 2023, 13:04   #1

Town: Perth
Boat name: Cherry
Make: Lianya
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 4-stroke 50hp
Chinese made RIB, two years on.

Well, it's been a hot minute, and this is always a contentious point on the forum, so I figured I'd throw this up.

Been a bit over two years since I got my Chinese made RIB (Lianya industries, 4.5m aluminium, PVC), and thought I'd throw some points around.

I've loved it. Not perfect, by a long shot, a number of little niggles I've noticed - the keel guard is rubbish, and was since I got it, there's a few odd choices with drainage channels, and figuring out how to stop the tank vent spilling a bit in big swells has been a case of pushing rocks up hill (although it's now sorted). It doesn't handle short chop the best, and can jump and slap a bit in swell if you want to open the throttle - the V is just a tiny bit too shallow.

It's been a good distance off shore (more than 25km either way out fishing), comfortably carries 6 on the river when you want a cruisey time with friends, and is more than capable of slinging a tube around when we want to laugh, or take young relatives out.

It's light enough to tow with my tiny tow vehicle, gets my mate and I out 15-20km every few weekends to fish, costs peanuts to run because it's so lightweight, and has seen it's share of sharks brought aboard.

All up, it was a $20k AUD package for me. 3k for an aluminium trailer, 10k for the 50hp Honda, and 7.5k for the boat and import.

For that cost, it's been fantastic value. My first boat was a 2nd hand SIB, a Mercury Quicksilver, and I drive SIBs for work. Even this little beater has been a massive step up, and I love it.

I think something that has enhanced my pleasure in using it, is that it has just been cheap enough for me to go "F%#& it, let's give it a try". I've taken it plenty of places, landed it plenty of places, and taken on a heap of projects on it that I would have baulked at had it been a more upmarket model. Acknowledge that's probably not for everyone.

Anyone has any questions, please hit me up. I love the fact that I can hit the water in a great little boat that didn't cost me the earth, and bash it around, and just enjoy it for what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toys.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	144253  
Old 28 November 2023, 13:48   #2

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Nice one. To be honest, that's what it's all about.

A buddy of mine a few years ago noted it quite well as we all got faster and bigger boats a few years ago. He said it all went wrong when it became less about the boating and all about the boat. He was totally correct.

So as long as what you've got is safe, reliable and fun - good on ya!
Old 28 November 2023, 14:27   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Good write up. You're correct... we can all theorise on the best boat sitting in front of the PC but by and large all the minute details are forgotten once on the water.
Old 28 November 2023, 17:23   #4

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Jealous of the picture to be honest! Looks warm and sunny.
Old 29 November 2023, 16:19   #5

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Love the new Jimny. I've been very tempted by them for a while. Does it struggle with the trailer?
Old 29 November 2023, 17:45   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Nice write up.

I like the picture - especially with your Suzuki Jimny. I used to run an original Japanese Suzuki SJ410 van (which was pretty rare) and even negotiated General Wade's old military road near Fort Augustus. However our Scottish weather made short work of Suzuki's metalwork and it's probably living its best life now as a can of tuna!

Interesting what you say about short-chop. It looks similar to Zodiac Pro 500 from the side but with shallow V hull you will get slap. Any other images of layout, deck, etc?

If you're 15-20km out (or is that cruise distance following coast) - what's your back-up plan if the Honda spits out its dummy? Are there lots of boats in your area and is VHF radio reception good?
Old 30 November 2023, 15:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Love the new Jimny. I've been very tempted by them for a while. Does it struggle with the trailer?
Not unless pulling up a pretty steep hill, but drop down a gear, and she manages fine. Sorting trailer brakes was the hardest part - turns out most trailers that light are built with drawbars too narrow to take override hitches 🙃 The Jimny is fantastic, I love it - although I recognise it's not a vehicle for everyone.
Old 30 November 2023, 16:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Nice write up.

I like the picture - especially with your Suzuki Jimny. I used to run an original Japanese Suzuki SJ410 van (which was pretty rare) and even negotiated General Wade's old military road near Fort Augustus. However our Scottish weather made short work of Suzuki's metalwork and it's probably living its best life now as a can of tuna!

Interesting what you say about short-chop. It looks similar to Zodiac Pro 500 from the side but with shallow V hull you will get slap. Any other images of layout, deck, etc?

If you're 15-20km out (or is that cruise distance following coast) - what's your back-up plan if the Honda spits out its dummy? Are there lots of boats in your area and is VHF radio reception good?
The old SJ was awesome - shame it wound up rusting. Hoping Australia not salting it's roads will help mine live a long and healthy life.

It's an open deck, tiller steered. It has a good sized front locker for the fuel tank, and I've wired a Garmin unit into a pelican case, which covers GPS and
fishfinder. Anything you want to see in particular?

No, we're 15-20km off shore. I work with boats for my living, so I'm mostly handy around smaller issues - but as a backup plan, VHF reception is good, we fish fairly popular grounds, and the local sea rescue group offers a membership covering a tow that I quite happily subscribe to - I'm yet to need it, and hopefully never do, but it's good peace of mind.
Old 30 November 2023, 16:24   #9

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5M1T View Post
I love the fact that I can hit the water in a great little boat that didn't cost me the earth, and bash it around, and just enjoy it for what it is.
As a rig, that really looks the bees knees.
Old 02 May 2024, 02:49   #10

Few more photos here, to avoid jamming up someone else's thread.

Still love the little beast, some photos of its layout.

I had initially put the trim tabs on shortly after purchase when it was struggling with holeshot and getting down on the plane, and they helped a lot, but I recently went to a 4-blade prop, which is just WORLDS of difference, and I'm now debating a trial with them off to see if they're still necessary.

Last photo is just me being a cheeky bugger and showing off my sounder/NMEA2000 setup - engine is wired into the backbone and talks to the sounder.

Tank is in the region of 60L, and takes up the large bow locker, which with the 50 and its lightweight, gives it a fantastic range. Small locker at the front is perfect for a repair kit, first aid kit, pumps and lifejackets.

The biggest change in performance really is the new prop. It's had a lot of time over our summer pulling tubes for nieces and nephews, and I changed from the original 3-blade to the 4 in the middle of that - massive change. Better hole shot, better pulling, better handling in chop (massively), better cornering, lost a few knots off top speed - not that fussed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240502_095843_020.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	144898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240502_095854_700.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	144899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240502_095926_757.jpg
Views:	36