Old 12 October 2018, 22:34   #1

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Boat show boat quote

After selling my highfield rib earlier in the season i decided to use the boat show in southampton as a way of getting an idea of prices for the prestgious british built rib ,i decided to go for boat only and start by fitting my own used engine ,
i hurried past the chinese rib stands and even the british built that had tried to sell me a champagne bucket on a gimble ,there was of course many other overseas offerings but i decided to stick to two british built offerings ,boat only
strangely enough i was quote for a 5.85metre and a 6.0m ,and boat only price was within £100 of each other (however the 6m seller was offering new steering ,cables and fitting of my engine )
this brings me to my question ... the 6 m boat has a beam of 2.55 being 150mm wider than the 5.85 @2.4m ,however both have a double console from memory at similar widths , i also asked the guy selling the 6m if he could put me a double console on their 5.85 metre model ,however he advised this would not be ideal , so what am i missing here ? why does it work for one manufacturer on a 2.4 metre but not for another ?
i like both ribs and felt the pricing was ok ,i am biased towards the 6 metre especially with the new steering and fitting but i have a set of gates to my rear garden at 2.4 max , i could widen but lots of hassle and money ,i also feel the resale in the future would prove better on the 585 How close to the tubes is the pacific console on the 585 ,is it on the tubes onley to get past ?
Old 13 October 2018, 06:01   #2

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
After selling my highfield rib earlier in the season i decided to use the boat show in southampton as a way of getting an idea of prices for the prestgious british built rib ,i decided to go for boat only and start by fitting my own used engine ,
i hurried past the chinese rib stands and even the british built that had tried to sell me a champagne bucket on a gimble ,there was of course many other overseas offerings but i decided to stick to two british built offerings ,boat only
strangely enough i was quote for a 5.85metre and a 6.0m ,and boat only price was within £100 of each other (however the 6m seller was offering new steering ,cables and fitting of my engine )
this brings me to my question ... the 6 m boat has a beam of 2.55 being 150mm wider than the 5.85 @2.4m ,however both have a double console from memory at similar widths , i also asked the guy selling the 6m if he could put me a double console on their 5.85 metre model ,however he advised this would not be ideal , so what am i missing here ? why does it work for one manufacturer on a 2.4 metre but not for another ?
i like both ribs and felt the pricing was ok ,i am biased towards the 6 metre especially with the new steering and fitting but i have a set of gates to my rear garden at 2.4 max , i could widen but lots of hassle and money ,i also feel the resale in the future would prove better on the 585 How close to the tubes is the pacific console on the 585 ,is it on the tubes onley to get past ?
I'd be using more than width as the key deciding factor and I'd still be widening my entrance rather than risk scuffing a new rib with a 2.4m boat in a 2.4m gap. Been on a friend's rc585 a number of times and access around double consul is fine for me. I think there around 1m wide as compact design, so that must give you something like 20to 25cm each side. I'm sure someone will be along with the real dimensions.

I'd suggest getting on both boats first and ideally a test drive for a proper comparison.
I'd also say make sure your comparing quotes like for like as costs for seating, deck fittings, fuel tank options and all the electronics can vary a lot.

Personally rate the 585 rc.
Old 13 October 2018, 06:05   #3

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Forgot to say I suspect the other boat has a square wider consul that does not fit well in rc 1.5m inner width meaning you would probably offset and loose access one side, meaning you have to go on the tubes to get around.
Old 13 October 2018, 08:10   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
My 585 had a pacific console as does my current 545, no issues
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 12:59   #5

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Beams will be given at the widest part of the boat. If the 585 has more of a taper at the front than the 5.85, then you may not get the console far enough forward (also a problem with a squarer console). Tube diameter will also affect things. No experience with the 5.85 but the 600 is a good boat. Both have very good reputations.

Phil M
Old 13 October 2018, 14:52   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I have Pacific Console on my 585 - plenty of room to get round it. Efen have doubl console on my 5.3 - enough room even on that - you don't need a lot

As MHB100 says, I'd be putting more emphasis on other aspects - build quality, configuration, and most important handling & seakeeping for what you want to use it for.

Good luck. Feel free to pm me if there's any question on the 585 you'd like to know.

LT
Old 13 October 2018, 18:41   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb100 View Post
Forgot to say I suspect the other boat has a square wider consul that does not fit well in rc 1.5m inner width meaning you would probably offset and loose access one side, meaning you have to go on the tubes to get around.
Go RC
Climbing over tubes to get to the Bow is a PITA....for helm and often is a worse prospect for crew...Wife Kids Oldies infirm ect.

...It can also in some circumstances be outright dodgey i.e when it's Rough and you need to get forward for any reason...like deploying the Anchor or attaching a Tow line in an emergency for two!
...in my view it is just Bad design.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 18:56   #8

What is the 6m boat?

Humber?
Old 13 October 2018, 22:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
What is the 6m boat?

Humber?
No ,my comparison is between the two boats i was quoted at or as a result of the show , xs 6,00m sport and the ribcraft 5.85 .
thanks everybody for your guidance ,you have woken me up to the super internal width of the rc5.85 ,i must say i like the pacific console far more than the xs delux console however i do like the suicide seat on the xs (simply because every child i ever have on board wants to sit up front ) ,would appear xs int beam may be only 100mm more despite being 200mm wider overall ,and tbh 200mm going down the suffolk country roads is a bit of a pain not to mention my home access ,
i did feel the xs was the best rib at the show and especially like the stern tidy up panel /engine well area on their sport model ,however i am now thinking the extra width is a bit of a nuisance ,athough i am stillnot sure of the RC width at approx console mounting position and indeed the width of the console
Old 13 October 2018, 22:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Go RC
Climbing over tubes to get to the Bow is a PITA....for helm and often is a worse prospect for crew...Wife Kids Oldies infirm ect.

...It can also in some circumstances be outright dodgey i.e when it's Rough and you need to get forward for any reason...like deploying the Anchor or attaching a Tow line in an emergency for two!
...in my view it is just Bad design.
Thankyou for that i believe in the importance you stress in this matter ,like you say children and elderley are all likely travelling companions on high days and holidays
Old 13 October 2018, 22:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb100 View Post
I'd be using more than width as the key deciding factor and I'd still be widening my entrance rather than risk scuffing a new rib with a 2.4m boat in a 2.4m gap. Been on a friend's rc585 a number of times and access around double consul is fine for me. I think there around 1m wide as compact design, so that must give you something like 20to 25cm each side. I'm sure someone will be along with the real dimensions.

I'd suggest getting on both boats first and ideally a test drive for a proper comparison.
I'd also say make sure your comparing quotes like for like as costs for seating, deck fittings, fuel tank options and all the electronics can vary a lot.

Personally rate the 585 rc.
I think comments re seakeeping are tricky for me being up in east anglia ,there are still pretty low numbers of ribs on this coast so getting a demo will be tricky ,however i would probhably struggle to differentiate between them , i suspect i am happy to listen to those of far more expierience than me and trust if i buy a premium brand it should offer some sort of comfort , hence the two brands i have chosen . sorry lakeland ,wrong quote
Old 14 October 2018, 11:29   #12

RIBase
If you go down the RC route, be aware that they have 2 forms of tubes. The Sectional type & the “J” tube. The sectional type is the one normally seen on the commercial boats & is angular in appearance where they curve towards the bow. The “J” type is a one piece curved tube more often seen on the leisure boats. Make sure to decide which you prefer & specify accordingly.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 14 October 2018, 12:56   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
PD - other than aesthetics is there an advantage/disadvantage to the shapes?
Old 14 October 2018, 13:49   #14

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
If you go down the RC route, be aware that they have 2 forms of tubes. The Sectional type & the “J” tube. The sectional type is the one normally seen on the commercial boats & is angular in appearance where they curve towards the bow. The “J” type is a one piece curved tube more often seen on the leisure boats. Make sure to decide which you prefer & specify accordingly.
If you don't specify J-tubes you won't get them...(As PD says it's all down to the aesthetic's you prefer) ...and they will be considered an extra...and may cost a little more,depending on you're negotiating skills
Personally I prefer the standard sectional tubes as I like the Functional purposeful look they engender ... and they tend to have a little more pointed "overhang" at the Bow which may afford a little more protection.
I've had both... with no problems
By the way the Pacific Consul does have a "suicide seat" and will fit into a 585 ...and also afford dry extra storage

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 13:56   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
PD - other than aesthetics is there an advantage/disadvantage to the shapes?

The “j” tube is made from a single piece of Hypalon, so arguably could be stronger due to fewer joints. They also look sleeker. I’ve had both & like Maxi, prefer the more functional look of the sectional tubes. Horses for courses.
Old 14 October 2018, 14:09   #16

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
The “j” tube is made from a single piece of Hypalon, so arguably could be stronger due to fewer joints. They also look sleeker. I’ve had both & like Maxi, prefer the more functional look of the sectional tubes. Horses for courses.

J tube isn't one piece, it's one on top and one below, running front to back, with the seam hidden in the rubbing strake on the exterior, and a strip on the inside if requested.

Sectional have a a seam at each join which looks rubbish IMHO and as not protected, more likely therefore to ultimately leak in years to come.

Sectional uses less hypalon though as all pieces are straight edged, so on a standard roll of Hypalon you use a shorter length as al pieces can be "jigsawed" and this minimal waste.

Bear in mind too, oversized tubes in a J use even more (as on ours) as the diameter is more than half of the width of the standard Hypalon rolls. So you can't "jigsaw" each J on the roll.

That's why J is more expensive.
Old 14 October 2018, 14:14   #17

RIBase
Quote:

These are 2 545s, Mr Jingles has J tubes, BP has sectional tubes. Not easy to see from the photos. But if you look at the tubes on BP you can see the “corners” where the tubes curve into the bow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4736.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	127310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4425.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	127311
Old 14 October 2018, 14:48   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
J tube isn't one piece, it's one on top and one below, running front to back, with the seam hidden in the rubbing strake.....

I stand corrected [emoji106]
Old 14 October 2018, 22:04   #19

Quote:
Thanks for that ,i had,nt realised this variation however it was one of my dislikes re the xs ribs (awful shape toobs ) athough i had,nt noticed it was a plus cost on the rc but their comercial does,nt look as noticeable angular as the XS , this is becoming a nightmare ,beginning to think these commercial style ribs are just not for me .
Old 14 October 2018, 22:26   #20

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
"Suicide" seats are well named - OK for low speed cruising but jockey more comfortable and safer in any sea. Possible to get a suicide seat on an RC585 double console as well (can't recall the unit name)

Consider the environment, crew, appetite for "adventure" conditions etc your ribbing will involve, then make decision. For me handling, strength and sea-keeping beat asthestics any day but others may differ.
LT