Old 16 October 2018, 11:25   #41

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Hyperlon for ME every time
...Im afraid Big Plumbs Is in disagreement with Just about every QUALITY Rib manufacturer out there!..(World wide)

Manufactures Making RIBS and other inflatable Craft from 3m to in excess of 12m..from the tried and time tested Industry leader
And Why?...because it Has and IS proven to be the BEST available at the present...and has for quite some time!
Hyperlon is also used for making things like Giant Sponsons/Fenders (I've seen them over 3m tall) a Hard test for any material...also things like Floating Oil catchment Boons for collecting and securing many Tonnes of Crude when pollution incidents occur....these can be MANY meters long...with corresponding stresses when deployed at Sea.

Hyperlon is not the cheapest material..but it's USED because it has PROVEN to out perform and outlast all the other options in terms of strength abrasion resistance ...versitily...ease of working .. UV resistance ..and its inherent qualitys of ease of Repair and modification.

I would also add after passing the stringent in house testing procurement criteria,and real world "field tests" of The Royal Navy ...British Army.... S..B.S (PLUSS Armed and civilian agency's across the world)...R.N.L.I...POLICE...HM CUSTOMS Ect Ect ?..over decades!...it's STILL the material of CHOICE!

Of course there may be something better that comes along.. although it will probably a modification of what we use now!..
I've certainly seen no evidence of a better/alternative material out there!..so for now... I for one (after using it in various forms for 40 yrs) believe the "Hype"-Perlon!..and wouldn't choose any of the alternatives

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 11:26   #42

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Go Hypalon & specify the 1600 weight.
Don’t listen to estate agents, they only tell you what they want you to know, they make the rest up.[emoji57]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 11:56   #43

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Go Hypalon & specify the 1600 weight.

Pikey, what’s the difference with the 1600 weight and the normal weight?
Old 16 October 2018, 11:58   #44

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Had PVC on an inflatable (Aerotec) and for only two years on a Zodiac 4.7m rib before we sold it. The Aerotec tubes are however still going strong after 16 years or so, hypalon rib going strong after 14 years, though showing some signs of wear on some edges and some sun damage.

Both will probably do all you need it to, my personal preference is Hypalon
Old 16 October 2018, 12:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Pikey, what’s the difference with the 1600 weight and the normal weight?
1600gsm is thicker and sometimes known as commercial spec.

I think normal hypalon is 1200gsm.
Old 16 October 2018, 12:41   #46

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
As for scratches on hypalon tubes, when I've had kerny paws on board he has left a few but I've always managed to get rid of them with a bit of wd40 and a rag. [emoji106]
Old 16 October 2018, 13:16   #47

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
What engine are you putting on the boat? Will you ultimately sell it with the boat?
That's probably the biggest factor when you go to sell, and therefore residual value.
Hypalon is no cost option for XS so not an issue.

The common consensus is that Hypalon is better. I have no problem with PU- I own one.
My decision was based on seeing sailing club's PU ribs- tubes still perfect after years of abuse from inexperienced drivers. As for props and skegs.......

This is worth a read for non-chemists like me:
https://www.powerboatandrib.com/2018...-of-rib-tubes/

Both brands have minimal boats lingering in the for sale sections.

Enjoy the journey- I think I would want cup-holders if speccing a new boat, just saying
Old 16 October 2018, 14:50   #48
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
(If I was trying to market PU I’d call it Hypathane or something similar)
I believe the name Hyperlon is "available" and already well positioned in the "I can't believe it's not Hypalon" segment of the market....
Old 16 October 2018, 15:08   #49

SUPERDUPERLON for the heavy height version
Old 16 October 2018, 15:20   #50

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dials View Post
SUPERDUPERLON for the heavy height version
Hyper-Ventalate-a-thon=UPVC ....
....After the Mice have got too it!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 15:24   #51

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dials View Post
What engine are you putting on the boat? Will you ultimately sell it with the boat?
That's probably the biggest factor when you go to sell, and therefore residual value.
Hypalon is no cost option for XS so not an issue.

The common consensus is that Hypalon is better. I have no problem with PU- I own one.
My decision was based on seeing sailing club's PU ribs- tubes still perfect after years of abuse from inexperienced drivers. As for props and skegs.......

This is worth a read for non-chemists like me:
https://www.powerboatandrib.com/2018...-of-rib-tubes/

Both brands have minimal boats lingering in the for sale sections.

Enjoy the journey- I think I would want cup-holders if speccing a new boat, just saying

And rod holders clamped to the A frame. Or have I read you can’t do that? I forget.....Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4614.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	127323
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 17:01   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hyper-Ventalate-a-thon=UPVC ....
....After the Mice have got too it!
UPVC? UPVC Applications
Giving PU a bad name!
Old 16 October 2018, 20:23   #53

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Long read but this provides some detailed comparison if you're minded to read it https://www.powerboatandrib.com/2018...-of-rib-tubes/
Old 16 October 2018, 21:41   #54

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
I hear so much about resale value on these threads. That never enters my head and I suspect never will. When I buy something it is because I want it, If when you buy you are already thinking of when you sell it you cant want it that much or more likely cant actually afford to buy and keep it in the first place
Old 16 October 2018, 21:48   #55

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hyperlon for ME every time
...Im afraid Big Plumbs Is in disagreement with Just about every QUALITY Rib manufacturer out there!..(World wide)
Have you not heard of the 10th Man
Old 16 October 2018, 22:26   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
I hear so much about resale value on these threads. That never enters my head and I suspect never will. When I buy something it is because I want it, If when you buy you are already thinking of when you sell it you cant want it that much or more likely cant actually afford to buy and keep it in the first place
With all due respect if I bought a cheaper rib I would be thinking along the same lines, when you spend a lot of money the resale probably plays some part for most people, boats are typically a depreciating asset and buying wise in first instance will make a huge difference to whether you are buying another boat anytime soon using the current one as a deposit.

3 things I have never even considered when buying

1. 2 stroke engine
2. Non hypalon tubes
3. Bench seats for skipper and main passengers

Ymmv but the above 3 are not great for resale rightly or wrongly IMO.
Old 16 October 2018, 22:39   #57

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Boat show boat quote

Disagree with 3 in terms of main passengers. Possibly half the market has 2/4 jockeys and a bench behind. Pure jockeys or just benches is a no for sure.
Old 16 October 2018, 22:55   #58

I must tell the 3 serious parties, who have in the last 18 months literally begged me to sell my boat that they are aff their nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Disagree with 3 in terms of main passengers. Possibly half the market has 2/4 jockeys and a bench behind. Pure jockeys or just benches is a no for sure.
So the other half of market must have all jockeys or benches then, I.e one is no better than the other except for personal preference.?

Seriously though, You couldn't pay me to have a bench seat for main passengers, they are good for storage and nowt else imo. I do admit that is a weak area for ribcraft, it is my one complaint of my boat that the seat storage access is a joke on them due to the waterproof seals, they really need hatches but I've not got round to that yet, I've got good at origami to get things into the seats.

Imo the best compromise is all jockeys (couple of suspension if money allows) and a suicide seat with console access for storage.

But that is why finding the right rib is difficult sometimes as you are ultimately buying someone else's design if buying used and a bespoke make.
Old 17 October 2018, 07:20   #59

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
"So the other half of market must have all jockeys or benches then, I.e one is no better than the other except for personal preference.?"

Erm, Probably yes - I'd say almost half the market has a combination and almost half has pure jockey. There's a few I suppose with leaning posts, seats or benches with no jockey at all.

And I say that in relation to the statement that a bench seat per se limits your selling ability. I think no more than having pure jockeys.

Many many people are leisure users/fair weather boaters. Bench seats for that are brilliant. Lounging on a nice day, reversing the back rest to watch skiers, resting a bag/drink/food on. Plus elderly people hate jockeys, they like to sit down! Lots of kids can't put their feet down on a jockey, and so on.

I
Old 17 October 2018, 08:25   #60

I could flip that argument 180 and say other benefits.

However, I said MAIN passengers/skipper don't want to be on a bench, nothing wrong with it for storage/occasional use and the MAIN passengers are on jockeys, imo naturally.

However, a rear bench, whilst great for storage, potentially wastes rear deck space where the ride is better, if it is actually being used for seating most of the time. I would rather have a suicide seat for putting the sandwiches on/junk in/occasional use and jockeys for main pxs

As I said, that is why people buy bespoke ribs as what suits X doesn't suit Y but I know my formula works for me, 1st rib with no rear bench sold in 48 hours and I could have sold my current one a few times over (for good money) if I wanted to....ymmv or be the same!

Perfect for me is suicide seat with jockeys, my current boat doesn't have a suicide seat but that was compromise in me buying nearly new rather than smaller new build.