Click Here to Login

Old 16 July 2012, 16:03   #1

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Another Small RIB purchase ...

I recently have been undertaking various mini rib projects – in size and simplicity and this weekend got another 4m Avon Adventure. I know its not an SR and I missed out on buying what looked like a great SR with a 50 Yam last week for just £1550  , but that’s the way it goes ! (I’ll have another one day!)

Anyway this particular boat was up in Canterbury and rather than along drive there and back in one day I broke it up by staying overnight at Medway Bridge Marina on board an old light ship (Europe's oldest surviving LightShip Converted into a Luxury Boutique Hotel. ) which was just great and well worth a stay if anyone is the area .

In the marina I also ran across one of my favourite boats - Fairy Huntsman ‘707’ - again one day !!! ( Maybe?)

Anyhow I had some reservations about the boat having swapped some messages with members on here - but felt the engine was always going to be good fun an such a light boat and it looked ‘ok’.

Anyhow I turned up and had a quick look over. The conversation was all rather odd . I was advised about the kill cord – how it should be connected to your wrist, but the previous owner just clipped it to the key as you should always have 2 people in the boat ….how to tow donuts and how the battery is left disconnected to stop it running flat ( I assume if its wired to start the engine it will also charge it when the engine is running ? Or am I missing something ?) . At this point I was just pleased it was electric start ! oh and the battery was sliding about loose inside the console The transom looks sound with no softness - some minor gel cracks in the deck mould where they flex but nothing I felt was serious. So I duly paid the guys with paypal and off I go .

By all accounts the boat had sat for the last year and not moved so I hitched it up and pulled it out of the drive where it was sat and started to tie it down properly to the trailer ( which again I was pleased with as its quite a nice Indespension roller jobby .) I put the tyres up to about 30psi ( max 32) as I have fear of the being too soft on a long run and over heating and letting go. I took the bung out ( just in case it rained like it did on Saturday which would have filled the boat very quickly , and took the bung out of the hull void only to have a stream of horrid water squirt all over my shoes and jeans- again clearly not been taken out out for a good while !

Strapped on my trailer board ready for the 160miles down to Bournemouth. I went all of 100 yards before thinking the bearings were about to jump out of the hubs, so (out of site of the house I just left ) some quick TLC, lots of squeezes of new grease and a tighten of the nuts & I think l see how they go as I have new hubs & bearings in the boot ! I stopped a few miles later as the rumbling had continued and they were not hot -just sounding bad - so I press on listening for any change in rumble.

An uneventful trip later with no change in the rumble round the M25 & M3 I pulled up at home with no drama.

So once home I could start looking properly - the tubes have not really been cared for, but have no patches or repairs and hold air well and will come up ‘OK’ apart from old patches a good reason not to have white tubes if one was ever needed. The hull is sound and again needs a good clean. It looks like its been taken out and seaweed has been left to dry on it – some light washing has bought it up OK on the bit I have done so far, and the engine seems to start OK ( although I was not keen to use the old petrol in the tank ). There is what seems ot be a ligh on the engine with an oil/ temp sign next to it – I guess this is warning fro the tank and water temp ?

The controls and steering are a bit/very stiff and I found an odd ‘feature’ on the throttle where at WOT the neutral lock engages again so it wont come back off WOT unless you pull the red catch up ! Not ideal and some tinkering in the box needed I think ! And the mid section cowl is cracked ( not a big deal) and one of the lower mount bolts needs some TLC where its been over tightened or corrosion has split the hole.

When I looked at the pics I though it may have been rigged by BHG as they use a distinctive wooden plate on the transom and put lock nuts on the engine mounting bolts and when I looked at the engine sure enough it has the BHG sticker on it, so as I thought it was from then from new in 1997.So it seems it is the original boat to engine set up which is good.

The seat had been DIY covered using mild steel pins ( now rusty orange all round) & in black vinyl so not great, but I’m having these re covered as a free by by a mate of a mate who does this stuff (white with blue piping all round ? )

All in all a think it’ll make a nice little boat when its all sorted and given a once over – got another Ringo which is being donated to another member on here.

As always I have a million pics of before during and after ( ok before and during so far as I need more rib revive ! ) that I’ll add later when I get in ( I'm typing this in place of cancelled marketing meeting at work )

I seem to be homing more than I really should of these small RIBS , but its quite nice to fix, repair stuff and give it another go at being used by someone else instead of rusting away for another ten years and as we all know the ‘older’ Avon tubes just seem to go on and on . It may well be for sale in due course so if your after a cheap little RIB for some fun let me know.
Old 16 July 2012, 18:10   #2

Some pics - I have found the throttle problem - broken plastic locking ring bit in the box - hopefully a cheap fix !

Stopped at Fleet services for a coffee - yes I forgot the prop bag so a hi viz jacket always comes in handy...

Cracked mid section cowling

Hull and half decent trailer ( with some work)

Overall pic ( with Ringo being donated - but keeping the worst of the water out of the seat base today)

Ready with the RIb revive....(and of course newer version in the garage behind)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120715_124805.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	70325   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120715_124758.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	70326   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120715_161220.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	70327   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150004.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	70328   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120715_161215.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	70329  

Old 16 July 2012, 18:14   #3

The offending bit of plastic ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120716_184418.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	70330  
Old 16 July 2012, 19:28   #4

Proper boat....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120714_171651.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	70337   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120714_171611.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	70338  
Old 16 July 2012, 19:36   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Proper boat....
Like that Pete
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 19:58   #6

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Yep, nice little RIB

'Cracking' Engine

Nasher.
Old 28 July 2012, 17:42   #7

New cushion/seat came this morning (very nice considering they were a free favour ! ) and some general cleaning up TLC. Started on trailer today and one stuck outer bearing is slowing things down as I wanted to try her out tomorrow .

Is all for sale if anyone is interested ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120728_101451.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	70652   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120728_101626.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	70653  
Old 28 July 2012, 20:16   #8

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Nice one Peter, looking at the tubes they look like my SR4 & they will clean up but you will not get rid of the spotting in them! Or if you do let us know how?
Nick
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2012, 18:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Nice one Peter, looking at the tubes they look like my SR4 & they will clean up but you will not get rid of the spotting in them! Or if you do let us know how?
Nick
Engine all sorted , as thought just sticky carbs through non use, taken off and blown through etc . ( If anyone wants a very decent mech with lots of knowledge in the Poole area PM me ..)

On the cleaning front - Dettol mold & Mildew cleaner .....

DETTOL® Complete Clean Mold and Mildew Remover | All Purpose Cleaner for deep clean

has managed to do what nothing I have seen before ...actually taken out the spotting ....I only tried a small bit as said mechs house ..but really has come up very well .off to tesco to get my own .

PIcs show the bit under the grey strap attachment as done, compared to futher back , and the small bit behind the handle compared to just above . I think nearly back to full white ?

Will need to put 303/ 3m / ribshop protector on it of course ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8020001.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	70837   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8020002.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	70838  
Old 02 August 2012, 20:09   #10

Town: Plymouth
Looking good. Up for sale yet ? Looks like us trade have competition on the buying front

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 02 August 2012, 20:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Looking good. Up for sale yet ? Looks like us trade have competition on the buying front

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Haha - not really ...purely just keeps me off the streets/water . I have a full time job ...honestly I do !
Old 02 August 2012, 20:54   #12

Trade membership looming. Mark my words hahaha

Old 02 August 2012, 22:59   #13

Good one Peter let's see the results when you are done, so in the end it looks like bleaching the tubes works?
Old 03 August 2012, 09:40   #14

Good one Peter let's see the results when you are done, so in the end it looks like bleaching the tubes works?
Old 03 August 2012, 17:30   #15

Been to Tesco and spent my £3 on more of the dettol stuff...

best £3 I have ever spent on a boat ! Spent half an hour doing one side of the tubes and they really are coming up like new with the mould stains vanishing. ( OK my blue shorts now have nce pink spots ....but I can live with that )

The boats in split shade/ sunlight at the mo so a pic doesn't do it justice...

But I'll take a pic in a bit and post it with the differance .

AMAZING !!!!
Old 03 August 2012, 19:44   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Been to Tesco and spent my £3 on more of the dettol stuff...
Nick has done his homework - that stuff contains a fair whack of bleach. No wonder your shorts are pink. Green hair too if you get a bit of blowback
Old 04 August 2012, 14:52   #17

Managed to get out on the River at Christchurch this morning and quick blast out of the harbour...( was abit windy and rough for little me ! )

Anyhow a few tweaks to idle setting and all is very good ! Just the one heart stopping moment when it wouldnt start - quickly sorted as a bullet connector had come loose under the cowl.

2 pics - as I got it and as it is now..

Still some very minor TLC to go but over all it could be a differant boat .

Very happy to have bought back to life quite a tired looking little boat so that it now looks pretty smart ( if I say so myself ..not quite up to Nugents level of bringing stuff back...not yet anyway ...just need more space at home )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$T2eC16h,!zQE9s3suFk3BP8K)Q21Lg~~60_58.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	70905   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120804_142434.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	70906  
Old 04 August 2012, 15:32   #18

Looking great. You've done a top job with that one

Old 08 August 2012, 20:36   #19

Had a full day out on Monday playing in and out of Poole Harbour.

in one word ;

AWESOME !

I think good for about 25knts and handles very well as is so nicely balanced with the weight of the 30 on the back .

Spent far too long playing in the wake of bigger boats ( mostly Poole Sea Safari ) and hopefully Steve has some pics of my antics ... I got drenched but it was just huge fun.

A couple more pics from Christchurch....really wish I wasn't selling it ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120804_124740.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	71054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120804-WA0004.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	71055  
Old 09 August 2012, 20:25   #20

THanks to Steve who took these pics. Considering the overal state of the boat when I picked it up its great fun and looks good !

Forgive the 'here come a face of water pic' - it was just such great fun I wasn't going to stop . Considering this was all in Steves wake at 10knts it really does show you dont need a big boat or to go fast to have fun ! ( but it was good cruising in the Parker with more than 16 x the power today Steve )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4971.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	71073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4981.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	71074   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4979.jpg
Views:	173