Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
Improvements?
Not improvements as such - there was a vertical face that had the tape that attaches the tube to and it looked a bit "in your face" so we removed it and attached the tape on a horizontal face, but with a small return to protect the tape from "hydraulicking", which is apparantly the reason that Chris Stricklands tubes have a problem with on his Scorpian!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2005, 10:31   #82

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: None
Make: None
Length: no boat
Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
Not improvements as such - there was a vertical face that had the tape that attaches the tube to and it looked a bit "in your face" so we removed it and attached the tape on a horizontal face, but with a small return to protect the tape from "hydraulicking", which is apparantly the reason that Chris Stricklands tubes have a problem with on his Scorpian!

Most builders strive to continue to improve there product, it does take several boats to get an understanding, once this has been established minor changes in detail are always going to take place.

Making a boat "look right" is the difficult part for us all.
Old 04 September 2005, 23:50   #83

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
I don't get it... my hull gets splashed everytime I take it out...?
Old 05 September 2005, 08:26   #84

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Cookee, did lorne design the deck on the raceboat as well?
Old 05 September 2005, 09:07   #85

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
Cookee, did lorne design the deck on the raceboat as well?
Actually, he designed the contour of the deck, but the cockpit section was something we built ourselves from a race cockpit from Pete Kidd and Ribeye who sponsored us for a while. The original can be seen on Richard Strawfords boat.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 09:24   #86

I think the package together looks pretty good.
Old 05 September 2005, 11:55   #87

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
regarding no fears question about ce plates ,hin numbers ect ,since 1996 all boats should have relevant not fraudulent ce plates fitted and been through the rcd tests otherwise there insurance will be invalid obviously there will be some exceptions to the rules but this is generally the case according to my insurers .
Old 05 September 2005, 11:59   #88

I suspect faked CE marking would be a trading standards issue.
Old 05 September 2005, 12:35   #89

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley
...since 1996...
Just in case anyone like me fell out of their chair, it's 1998. June 16th to be exact.
http://www.ceproof.com/recreational_...ective_RCD.htm
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 13:07   #90

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
I’ve not had much to say on this thread, ‘cause I’ve been over in Belgium, “putting the World to rights” with Eupa…….however, since I’ve got a minute or two in the office now, I thought I’d throw my valueless opinion in to the ring….

Domino….
Are you sure that the hull you saw/pictured is a splash and not the hull that Olmec kept after some dispute about payment?
As most people will know, my memory is about the same as your average Goldfish, but I do recall a dispute about payment sometime in the last 12 months or so?
Now, I wonder why you have come onto this forum if you have a genuine grievance. Surely you didn’t really expect anyone on here to give you legal advice did you?
I’ll make it clear that I’m not backing or condemning Ed in any way here, it’s just that I feel very uneasy about folks who come on here shouting “Someone’s done me wrong”. Why is it not being handled in a professional manner? All this is, is “mud slinging” and it puts all parties concerned into a very poor light.
One or two people here have quoted “baggage” and that about sums it up. I am damned sure that this is not a simple cut and dried dispute.
Take it through the Courts and if you have a ruling in your favour, I’ll quite happily join you in condemning Ed, but until such time, I suggest that you don’t make yourself look quite so “unprofessional”.

Ribraff…
The same goes for you, Ed. Don’t get involved in a public slanging match, right or wrong, it won’t look good.

Paul Tilley..
Paul, why are you making comment on this thread? It just comes over as sour grapes and doesn’t do anything for your reputation. I know there was a falling out between you and Ed, when his lad, whose name I’ve forgotten, left to work for you and this just looks like a continuation of that. The thread about ProSport tends to confirm that.

People know that some sets of tubes from Olmec have had problems. There is no dispute there, I have seen them myself. The reasons for the problems are really only known to the people involved, the rest is speculation. I have also seen tubes from other “tubers” with problems and mistakes. Just remember that problems can occur even with skilled workmanship. Glues can fail, material can delaminate and mechanical damage can occur. Of course workmen can foul up, by rushing or poor technique, but until the cause for each failure is known the rest is just dangerous gossip and should be curbed.
Oh, and I would have another boat tubed by Ed. I would also be quite happy with one from Mr Tilley, Henshaws Etc..

As for the CE plate issue? Is there an allegation being made here, or is it just speculation and rumour? Remember what JK pointed out about legal action being taken. There are laws that apply to this forum, so take care everyone.

There you are JK… is that pompous enough for you??
Old 05 September 2005, 13:58   #91
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Just got back from a fortnights holiday and I find this slagging match going on! I have heard many good and one bad report (Nofears) of Olmec tubes. I have no idea whether Ed did or did not splash the V-type design but by discussing it on a public forum it puts both companys in a bad light. Considering the V-type market and clientele I would expect this issue to be dealt in a more professional manner.

regards

Alex
Old 05 September 2005, 14:16   #92

richard sorry about the wrong year this was the info i was given by my insurers in reply to the question by nofear . jono you seem to have it wrong i started negotiations with prosport a few months before will left olmec and made our first tube for them the week before will joined me .i have no sour grapes towards olmec ive just gained some of his customers and on the prosport thread commented on ospreys being good boats which olmec tube . i do find it wrong though that people can splash / copy someone elses hull and get away with it whatever baggage is involved the reasons for this are one i consider it to be theft and two if the person splashing the hull does not have the correct input from the designer you stand the chance of incidents like the rib breaking in st ives happening which is bad news for all in the trade .
P.S. im to sweet to have sour grapes
Old 05 September 2005, 14:36   #93

Quote:
richard sorry about the wrong year this was the info i was given by my insurers in reply to the question by nofear . jono you seem to have it wrong i started negotiations with prosport a few months before will left olmec and made our first tube for them the week before will joined me .i have no sour grapes towards olmec ive just gained some of his customers and on the prosport thread commented on ospreys being good boats which olmec tube . i do find it wrong though that people can splash / copy someone elses hull and get away with it whatever baggage is involved the reasons for this are one i consider it to be theft and two if the person splashing the hull does not have the correct input from the designer you stand the chance of incidents like the rib breaking in st ives happening which is bad news for all in the trade .
P.S. im to sweet to have sour grapes

I wasn't going to go any further on this but there are few things I'd like to pick up on.

Do you know that the "St Ives" RIB broke up because of anything other than bad workmanship? If so could you tell us why it broke?

Do you know that Ed "splashed" a hull? I take it you know that Ed certainly had a V type hull in his works and what happened to that hull.

I am quite sure that you were "under negotiation" prior to Will leaving Olmec. Did Will make tubes for ProSport when he was with Ed? Does he make them now? Did Will bring the ProSport tube patterns with him when he left Ed?

I have often heard the expression, one that I'm quite taken with... “There are three sides to this story...Yours, His and the Truth...."

Old 05 September 2005, 14:46   #94

Length: 6m +
Now here i was all geared up to put in my side of the story which i am sure many people would like to hear. Having read your post Jono i think you are right. This is an issue between David Farmer (Domino) and myself.
For that reason i do find it odd Mr Tilley that you seem to be screaming louder than anyone else on this issue.
Old 05 September 2005, 15:38   #95

jono my comment was that you stand a chance of incidents like the st ives one happening perhaps i should have said greater chance .is it not better to try and limit these incidentswhether caused by lack of technical input or bad workmanship . i now know the man who was paid by olmec to make the mould from the v type hull .when i was approached by prosport to quote for their tubes i informed ed and actually quoted a higher price than him .will and ed both made prosports tubes will does not make them now and did not need to bring patterns as i had previously designed patterns whilst at ribeye prior to ed starting in business all patterns i have designed are signed copy right p a tilley if you have any more questions please feel free to ask
Old 05 September 2005, 16:20   #96

Quote:
jono my comment was that you stand a chance of incidents like the st ives one happening perhaps i should have said greater chance .is it not better to try and limit these incidentswhether caused by lack of technical input or bad workmanship .
What you intimated was that the hull was splashed and because the designer didn't have any input, it failed. So, why did that particular boat break apart? Was it a design flaw or poor workmanship? How many designers actually oversee the laminating of the genuine article ? I'll exclude Humber here, because the ol' fellow still takes a keen interest.

Quote:
i now know the man who was paid by olmec to make the mould from the v type hull

Well, good for you. Do you know why? Do you know how many boats came out of the mould? You are beginning to sound like a man with a grudge, despite your protestations.

Quote:
when i was approached by prosport to quote for their tubes i informed ed and actually quoted a higher price than him .will and ed both made prosports tubes will does not make them now and did not need to bring patterns as i had previously designed patterns whilst at ribeye prior to ed starting in business all patterns i have designed are signed copy right p a tilley if you have any more questions please feel free to ask
I didn't ask whether or not Will "needed" to bring the patterns, Just whether he did or not.
So, whilst working for Ribeye, you designed patterns for ProSport? Did Ribeye agree to you taking the patterns with you when you left? Does the intellectual property of drawings and design not vest itself in the Company for which the designer works, or has all that changed now?
Old 05 September 2005, 16:46   #97

jono i was trying to intimate that a hull with proper design input should be better than a copied item but you cannot always rule out the fact that there will be occasional bad workmanship .will did not bring templates / patterns from olmec and i paid for all of the tube equipment and materials that i had from ribeye it was a very good price as they no longer had need of them and it was a great help in starting my business .and yes i do know why ed copied the hull now but in my opinion think it is a separate issue
Old 05 September 2005, 20:24   #98

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
however, since I’ve got a minute or two
More like an Hour or Two

Do you have your secetary type these post for you???
Old 05 September 2005, 20:43   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
More like an Hour or Two

Do you have your secetary type these post for you???
Feck off, Shorty... or I'll tell everyone ya can't kickstart yer motorbike...ya whimp!
Old 05 September 2005, 20:45   #100

Quote:
i paid for all of the tube equipment and materials that i had from ribeye
A good thing to hear. So, Ribeye used to tube ProSports did they? Bloody Hell..it's a right convoluted world is this boat business...