Old 14 October 2021, 00:11   #1

Town: Orono
Advice on New Ribs

Hello,

I am currently tasked with finding 3-4 new rigid inflatables for my company the for the 2022 summer. Currently we operate 6 ribs. 4-15ft AB Oceanus ribs with Yamaha 85's on the back, 1-19ft Carib with a 100 hp Yamaha, and then a old 21ft Avon pro with a Yamaha 150 on the back. The smaller boats are used for water sporting and short transportation while the larger ribs are used for transporting larger numbers greater distances and sometimes through rough conditions.

The issue with our currently fleet is that we usually have a lot of repairs going on. The Oceanus ribs all need fiberglass work and the 19ft Caribs transom has major structural cracks after 100hrs of run time. Part of the issue is that we push the limits for engine size and the boats are towed between destinations. I need to start replacing some of these boats and am looking for some advice.

What I am looking for,

I would like recommendations on a rib about 15-16ft in length that can take an 85hp or larger engine, be able to manage swells up to 4ft and most importantly, something that is built extremely tough. A carrying capacity of 6 is the minimum.

I also would like a larger 18-20ft rib to handle some of the bigger tasks. A 115hp engine or larger, be able to manage a 7ft swell and can carry a minimum of 9.

Currently I am looking at Highfield patrol series and like what I see. What are some of the draw backs of an aluminum hull? Does anyone have know the quality of the rubber used in their tubes?

Thanks, I am open to any advice and recommendations.
Old 14 October 2021, 07:07   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I run a Patrol 600. It s a great rib that will do what you are after. The ali hull will take some abuse before it fails and in theory will bend and dent rather then break and hole. Yes it'll still get damaged if hit hard enough or punctured if the right shape obstruction but I'm finding it pretty robust so far.

The internal set up is comfy and roomy with loads of storage and deck space. Tube wise I have the pvc, other will swear by the Orca offering. I didn't have much choice as new boats in the UK have ben challenging to get. It seems that the Orca holds up better if left in direct sunshine - but it'll need some one that leaves theirs out to comment as mine is barn stored.

A great range of boats with a superb hull that will suit you down to the ground in my opinion.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 12:56   #3

Town: Orono
Thanks for the help. Sun protection is a big factor for me since these ribs will be spending their life in the Caribbean sun. For the bigger ribs we have covers for the hulls.

When you purchased your Patrol did you buy new? One of the issues I am finding is that most dealers do not carry any of the Patrol series. If you did have to order yours what was the time frame like?

Thanks
Old 14 October 2021, 18:03   #4

Town: Annapolis
Hi Arterak.

Just saw you post and thought you might find this helpful. We just purchased 4 work RIBs from a manufacturer called Ocean Craft Marine. The make purpose-built professional grade work boats for every application. We got to test one out in Annapolis last summer and we were really impressed with e performance. Like you we needed to maximize deck space without giving up performance in heavier seas. And they’ll build them to your exact specifications. Worth a look.

Hope this helps.
Old 15 October 2021, 10:19   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by arterak View Post
Thanks for the help. Sun protection is a big factor for me since these ribs will be spending their life in the Caribbean sun. For the bigger ribs we have covers for the hulls.

When you purchased your Patrol did you buy new? One of the issues I am finding is that most dealers do not carry any of the Patrol series. If you did have to order yours what was the time frame like?

Thanks
Hi

Importing to the UK has taken a bit of a hit this year and it took 16 weeks instead of the planned 10-12.

If you've crews in the sun all day the T-Top will be ideal too I suspect and knowing that they run these boats lots in France then they'll be prepped for the UV - the local rep will know which is the best option material wise.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib