Old 05 August 2018, 17:06   #1

Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp
About to buy my first rib

Hi there,

i am new to ribs, but i`ve been in and droven boats all my life, motorboats and sailboats.
I`m about to buy my first rib, and need some advice on what to buy. I`m looking at english ribs, Tornado, XS or Humber. My range are 5.50 - 6.50m. I`ve tested a Tornado 5.80 with a 115hp, that was what did it for me re getting interested in ribs.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05 August 2018, 17:25   #2

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Hi Dissko,

Welcome.

Lots of threads and advice on which rib to buy on here - worth doing some searches - ...everyone has a view, but to get useful advice people will want to know stuff like:

What do you want to use it for
how many people will you usually carry
Where you'll be basing your ribbing
budget
etc.....

Big range of UK ribs 5.5-6.5m, and would be worth trying as many as possible, and understanding the possible layout configurations.

Many would suggest a wider initial list - Ribeye, Ribquest, Ribcraft, Osprey etc...them narrow down on spec, handling price etc.

I'm sure lots of advice will come your way.

LT
Old 05 August 2018, 17:43   #3

Hi there,

thanks for the reply. I don`t know why it is, but some brands stick out as more trustworthy than others. Many also looks very alike. I think what made me look more to the brands i mentioned in my first post is that they seem a bit rougher and off shore like, than most. I´m sure the ones you wrote are as good. I have done some research, and i will do more, but it seems like that i can go with either brand. Almost every company can provide what i want, it will come down to the money.

Do you think a 6m or a 6,5m would be underpowered with 115hp? I think the Tornado 580 with 115hp was perfect(with 5 people in the boat)

Thanks again!
Old 05 August 2018, 19:47   #4

Town: Armagh
Make: Xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
About to buy my first rib

If it’s any help we have a 6m xs with a 150hp optimax and personally I wouldn’t want an smaller. Imo it’s better to have power and not use it than be running a smaller engine hard all the time.
Old 05 August 2018, 20:10   #5

My thinking was that 115hp would be ideal, or at least enough for the 6m, but too small for a 6,5m. The thing is also that the wife thinks 150hp is too much to handle. Thanks for the input.
Old 05 August 2018, 20:36   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissko View Post
My thinking was that 115hp would be ideal, or at least enough for the 6m, but too small for a 6,5m. The thing is also that the wife thinks 150hp is too much to handle. Thanks for the input.

Imo, 115 isn't near enough for a 6m boat of any of the substantially constructed ribs you're looking at. You might get away with it on a lighter (aluminium?) hull but not on a typical "UK" type rib. An underpowered boat is as dangerous, if not more so than an overpowered one. I'd go with close to, or at the max rating of the hull in question.
All IMO naturally, & someone with an underpowered boat will come along shortly & tell you it's fine[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2018, 21:27   #7

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
go for over powered you can never have too much power
Old 05 August 2018, 22:18   #8

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I think you'd want c. 175+ on a 6.5m.

I have a 140 on a 5.85 and wouldn't want any less.

a 115 on a 5.8 seems under-powered unless always running very light -pax 1-2, or don't need to run on the plane.

I'd always try to go for the max HP the boat will take- nothing worse than not having the power to keep / get you out of trouble.
Old 06 August 2018, 10:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I think you'd want c. 175+ on a 6.5m.

I have a 140 on a 5.85 and wouldn't want any less.

a 115 on a 5.8 seems under-powered unless always running very light -pax 1-2, or don't need to run on the plane.

I'd always try to go for the max HP the boat will take- nothing worse than not having the power to keep / get you out of trouble.
Thanks for the replies all. I'm about to buy a Tornado 5,8m with 115hp, it seems like the sensible choice now. Re being underpowered, what's the downside of that? I've tried it, it seems powerful and fast enough. We're usually 2 adults and 3 kids, and lightly loaded. Seen a bunch of pictures of the 5,8 with 100hp, even 80 and 90. Seems to be a lot of underpowered boats around:-) It's not that i'm gonna ride in the north sea or anything.
Old 06 August 2018, 11:30   #10

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
I have a 5.8 tornado which was fitted with a 130 Honda, boat was rated for maximum 130, just repowered it with a Suzuki 115, get 40knots but I wish I had gone for a 140
Old 06 August 2018, 15:57   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
..Re being underpowered, what's the downside of that?

An underpowered boat will quite often use more fuel than an overpowered boat, simply because you are running at higher revs, usually with an over sized prop. Because underpowered or not, most people seem obsessed with "top speed" so end up overpropping.
The major issue I have personally with an underpowered craft is the inability to power my way out of trouble, especially in a following sea. If you've ever tried to climb up the back of a 3m+ swell, you'd know what I mean.
Nobody ever sets out in bad weather, but spend enough time at sea & you'll certainly come back in some. If your missus has just been through a washing machine, that bigger motor will suddenly look attractive[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2018, 09:44   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
An underpowered boat will quite often use more fuel than an overpowered boat, simply because you are running at higher revs, usually with an over sized prop. Because underpowered or not, most people seem obsessed with "top speed" so end up overpropping.
The major issue I have personally with an underpowered craft is the inability to power my way out of trouble, especially in a following sea. If you've ever tried to climb up the back of a 3m+ swell, you'd know what I mean.
Nobody ever sets out in bad weather, but spend enough time at sea & you'll certainly come back in some. If your missus has just been through a washing machine, that bigger motor will suddenly look attractive[emoji6]

I don’t necessarily agree with pikeys comment earlier that a 115 (which was on a 5.8m tornado) would be “dangerous”. 30 years ago that would have been standard, and I’m sure plenty of dive clubs and sailing clubs working to a budget made do with 90s. Those would have been two strokes though so perhaps with more low down power.

I do think pikey is right though - if you do spec a lower sized engine you need to accept it won’t give max speed and prop it for climbing the big wave you didn’t plan for but might encounter. Nobody ever checks your pub claims about top speed anyway!

People here are a wee bit obsessed with putting the biggest engine on the hull can take. I think they forget that newcomers probably are only going out on nice days and think the weather has turned bad if there are 1m waves never mind 3m ones. Many also are only planning to use it alone or with one other. That said the OP has three kids - firstly bear in mind they grow, depending how long you keep the boat for you may have quite a significant load (and right now proper seats for them will add weight anyway). Kids also often lead to other bits of kit, and things like towable toys etc, which all want more power and take up space.

You probably won’t use it enough to get a ROI from fuel ecconomy alone - but there is something psychological about burning excessive fuel which makes you use it even less.

Talking of long term - that is the other side of under powering - eventually you will want to sell. An boat which is perceived as being underpowered will be harder to sell.
Old 07 August 2018, 10:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I see your point re being in bad weather, but i think we`ll be fine. No open water or 3 m waves for us. Gonna operate in a fairly big area, but rarely without seeing land. And i know these waters very well. The missus said max 115, it`ll be 115. She needs to be able to operate the boat on her own.
I take my chances.
Old 07 August 2018, 10:21   #14

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
When talking outboard HP (between 90 & 200) is nothing like motorbike power. With more HP you have more comfort, you can cruise at lower RPM's, the engine will be less loud, you will burn less fuel and in a few months time will be glad you up spec'd. The boat will be easier to sell and be worth more when you come to move it on.
Once you meet other Ribbers and go out together you wont feel like you have to run your boat flat out to stay together.
Take the advice of many and go bigger if you can afford it.
Old 07 August 2018, 10:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I don’t necessarily agree with pikeys comment earlier that a 115 (which was on a 5.8m tornado) would be “dangerous”. 30 years ago that would have been standard, and I’m sure plenty of dive clubs and sailing clubs working to a budget made do with 90s. Those would have been two strokes though so perhaps with more low down power.

I do think pikey is right though - if you do spec a lower sized engine you need to accept it won’t give max speed and prop it for climbing the big wave you didn’t plan for but might encounter. Nobody ever checks your pub claims about top speed anyway!

People here are a wee bit obsessed with putting the biggest engine on the hull can take. I think they forget that newcomers probably are only going out on nice days and think the weather has turned bad if there are 1m waves never mind 3m ones. Many also are only planning to use it alone or with one other. That said the OP has three kids - firstly bear in mind they grow, depending how long you keep the boat for you may have quite a significant load (and right now proper seats for them will add weight anyway). Kids also often lead to other bits of kit, and things like towable toys etc, which all want more power and take up space.

You probably won’t use it enough to get a ROI from fuel ecconomy alone - but there is something psychological about burning excessive fuel which makes you use it even less.

Talking of long term - that is the other side of under powering - eventually you will want to sell. An boat which is perceived as being underpowered will be harder to sell.
I think it`ll give us enough power for our use. Top speed is not that important, and if it gives me roughly 35knots i`m happy enough. I have to look into props, and speed vs torque.
You are right, no 3m waves for us. I can imagine it being unpleasant with a bit underpowered boat in those conditions, but i doubt it would be dangerous (in these waters). I get the fuelconsumption argument. There`s NO used Tornados, XS, or Humbers being sold in Norway, i think i can make it stand out when i`m selling it, even with a 115hp engine.
Old 07 August 2018, 10:26   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
I`m about to buy my first rib, and need some advice on what to buy. ......Thanks in advance!
Quote:
The missus said max 115, it`ll be 115. She needs to be able to operate the boat on her own.
I take my chances.
Did your missus lend you the "household trousers" to make that first post?

Old 07 August 2018, 10:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
When talking outboard HP (between 90 & 200) is nothing like motorbike power. With more HP you have more comfort, you can cruise at lower RPM's, the engine will be less loud, you will burn less fuel and in a few months time will be glad you up spec'd. The boat will be easier to sell and be worth more when you come to move it on.
Once you meet other Ribbers and go out together you wont feel like you have to run your boat flat out to stay together.
Take the advice of many and go bigger if you can afford it.
Well, i could absolutely gotten a bigger boat, but this is our first rib. 7 or 8m with 200hp, i wouldn`t mind!
We`ll try this combo of boat and motor for now, and then we`ll find out. The boat is practically bought.
Old 07 August 2018, 10:32   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Did your missus lend you the "household trousers" to make that first post?

Ha, this all happened very fast, and the one she had tried was what she wanted. Don`t know how smart it is to push for a bigger boat/engine when we`re both gonna operate it. Just wanted to hear from the pros here
Old 07 August 2018, 11:04   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Ha, this all happened very ..... Just wanted to hear from the pros here
To be completely fair, the package you are buying is just fine - 5.8m/115hp for family days out. You also asked about this HP on larger boats - 6.5m was mentioned. 115hp on a 5.8m is VERY different to 115hp on a 6.5m!
Enjoy the Tornado - good solid boat. You'll either find it ideal for the current proposed use or you will outgrow it. Either way, it's a nice package to play around with.

Now, if you upgrade to 8m, IMO 200hp is waaaay underpowered

BTW, what part of Norway are you boating in?
Old 07 August 2018, 11:19   #20

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Go as big a boat and engine as you can afford and store, for many reasons inc sea keeping, space, comfort, versatility and the ability to take friends and family with room to spare. I went from a 6.5 to a 8m, obviously only a metre or so longer but the usable size difference is fantastic - and the day you get caught out in snotty weather your will really appreciate the bigger craft Good luck!

Tags
rib