Old 22 June 2022, 11:17   #21

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fram View Post

I'm afraid that as a relative novice, I do not have a good idea of what 6 knots feels like through the water. Is there any trick or knack that an experienced man of the water such as yourself could give me to working this out? I suppose it could be RPM related for the specific boat?
6 knots is basically 7mph. We typically walk at around 3-4mph and jog at 4-6.

I don't think I've ever actually wondered what my speed was on the water as you know if you're creating uncivilised wash and you know if you're going faster than a jogging pace in a harbour or inland waterway as you have immediate points of reference to the land.

The one I did struggle with last summer was Chichester Harbour which is 8 knots. At that speed my SIB is making a wash which I think is unnecessary yet just 1 or 2 knots faster and it's on the plane creating much less wash but looking suspiciously reckless and yobbish. I did decide that it was ultimately more civilised to be on the plane and that if anyone decided to speak to me that common sense would prevail.

Don't forget that we all have phones on is so can easily check our speed if we need to.
Old 22 June 2022, 11:34   #22

Make: RC585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140
Don't worry about whether it's SOG or STW, what matters is your wash. Keep checking it when you're going up and down the Hamble and if it's causing the moored boats either side to rock you're going too fast.
Also if you get overtaken by a 50ft Sunseeker don't think that you can go as fast as him. He will be making much less wash than you. You'll get your revenge when you reach open water and you can blast past him!
Old 22 June 2022, 12:39   #23

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Exactly what scrambler said....
It doesn't matter if you can't gauge exactly what 6 knots feels like. The rozzers aren't going to bust you for doing 7 or 8kts provided you're being responsible.
Remember that for passing small boats / kayaks / paddle boards / people enjoying a sundowner in the cockpit, minimising wash is as important as minimising speed. Depending on your boat, you might need to be doing less than 6 knots.
Old 22 June 2022, 13:43   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fram View Post

I'm afraid that as a relative novice, I do not have a good idea of what 6 knots feels like through the water. Is there any trick or knack that an experienced man of the water such as yourself could give me to working this out? I suppose it could be RPM related for the specific boat?

You’ll quickly get a feel for it once you do a few trips at slack water where SOG = STW, then you will be able to judge yourself (revs, wake etc). Basically common sense and courtesy is what they are looking for! Don’t forget it’s a maximum speed - if in doubt or you think you are in the limit but making too much wash you can always back off unless you would be going so slow to lose steerage (not much of an issue with an outboard - even if that means knocking in/out of gear).
Old 24 June 2022, 11:50   #25

Town: London
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
Don't worry about whether it's SOG or STW, what matters is your wash. Keep checking it when you're going up and down the Hamble and if it's causing the moored boats either side to rock you're going too fast.
Also if you get overtaken by a 50ft Sunseeker don't think that you can go as fast as him. He will be making much less wash than you. You'll get your revenge when you reach open water and you can blast past him!
Sound advice, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Exactly what scrambler said....
It doesn't matter if you can't gauge exactly what 6 knots feels like. The rozzers aren't going to bust you for doing 7 or 8kts provided you're being responsible.
Remember that for passing small boats / kayaks / paddle boards / people enjoying a sundowner in the cockpit, minimising wash is as important as minimising speed. Depending on your boat, you might need to be doing less than 6 knots.
This makes a lot of sense and seems like a mature approach - am a fan. Yes, I have found myself going very slowly around kayaks and paddle boarders - 2 or 3 knots even!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
You’ll quickly get a feel for it once you do a few trips at slack water where SOG = STW, then you will be able to judge yourself (revs, wake etc). Basically common sense and courtesy is what they are looking for! Don’t forget it’s a maximum speed - if in doubt or you think you are in the limit but making too much wash you can always back off unless you would be going so slow to lose steerage (not much of an issue with an outboard - even if that means knocking in/out of gear).
Will do this, thanks!