Old 29 March 2022, 19:06   #1

Hi from Tarbet

Awesome forum, admittedlyI’ve been lurking here since buying our Valiant DR 620 with 90 Optimax in October. I have Landcruiser to tow it. Learning all I can from the huge amount of experience here. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

I primarily bought our RIB to commute to the sailing club in Balmaha on Loch Lomond from Tarbet, to avoid A82 jams in the summer. But now I’m hooked and want to explore the west coast when I have more experience.

Dipping my toes in gently with a season on Lomond first. I got my PB2 in 1990, distant memory now! An experienced dinghy sailer but with only club rescue boat experience at Bexhill SC.

I can launch single handedly at Balloch now easily. Next challenge is to launch from Tarbet slip which is really narrow, shallow and with no jetty! Just bought a delta 6kg anchor with 6m of 8mm chain and 50m of 12mm 3 strand polyester warp and plan on practicing using it on the loch. Next purchase will be flares and fixed radio I think.

Loving the forum and looking forward to contributing.
Old 30 March 2022, 05:32   #2

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

A nice choice of tow vehicle and a fantastic local cruising ground.

A number of people have swapped their traditional flares for one of the LED ones. The potential shopping list is almost endless with loads of opinion on here.
Old 30 March 2022, 08:21   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Welcome to the forum.

A nice choice of tow vehicle and a fantastic local cruising ground.

A number of people have swapped their traditional flares for one of the LED ones. The potential shopping list is almost endless with loads of opinion on here.

Yeah, ditch the fireworks [emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 08:31   #4

Thanks both, hadn’t considered LED but you got me reading up on that. much more sense and would be useful for hiking in the hills too along with my plb.

Got any tips for reversing down a very narrow slip? Slip width is 3m, with drops either side, boat 2.5. Was thinking of planting a few garden poles with flags on so I can see the slip edges in my mirrors.
Old 30 March 2022, 14:32   #5

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumraa View Post
Thanks both, hadn’t considered LED but you got me reading up on that. much more sense and would be useful for hiking in the hills too along with my plb.

Got any tips for reversing down a very narrow slip? Slip width is 3m, with drops either side, boat 2.5. Was thinking of planting a few garden poles with flags on so I can see the slip edges in my mirrors.

Just focus on keeping drivers side ok with the odd check the other side. Easier to focus that way.
Old 30 March 2022, 17:05   #6

I was a bit worried that because it’s shallow I’ve got to reverse quite a way down the slip into the water, much further than I would at Balloch which is steeper.

Will I have anything to reference where the trailer wheels either side are in relation to the edges? Not much margin for error and the LC is much narrower so not sure I can use that as a ref for the trailer wheels.

Or am I overthinking all this? I have that tendency!
Cheers for your replies
Old 30 March 2022, 17:27   #7

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Overthinking you’ll be fine. Line her up top of slip, get out have a check if you like. See how close boat needs to be to the edge in your mirror and make sure that stays the same. Take it real slow and stop if you need to. Better still ask someone to keep an eye [emoji106]
Old 30 March 2022, 19:00   #8

Thanks for the reassurance. Think I’ll practice how straight I can keep it on the drive at home, learn where the boat in the mirror needs to be for dead straight.

Then do as you say keeping it dead slow, stopping and checking etc. It’s just that first launch or two if you know what I’m mean. Thankfully no other boaters to worry about at this slip so wont hack anyone off by taking my time.
Cheers [emoji106]