Old 18 December 2020, 12:58   #1

Town: West Devon
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 6m +
Hello

I am new to RIB's. I am originally from Brixham so I have been brought up around boats. I have wanted a boat for years, I completed my RYA PB 2 in March and brought my first RIB in September. I now own a Second Hand 2 year old, hardly used Grand G580 with an Evinrude 150 HO G1 engine.
So far I am very happy with my purchase despite reading some horror stories re Evinrude engines. So hopefully it will do me for a few years whist I cruise the Devon and Cornwall coastline and improve my boat handling skills. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a Humber Ocean Pro or Ribcraft
Old 18 December 2020, 16:56   #2

Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLOS01 View Post
I am new to RIB's. I am originally from Brixham so I have been brought up around boats. I have wanted a boat for years, I completed my RYA PB 2 in March and brought my first RIB in September. I now own a Second Hand 2 year old, hardly used Grand G580 with an Evinrude 150 HO G1 engine.
So far I am very happy with my purchase despite reading some horror stories re Evinrude engines. So hopefully it will do me for a few years whist I cruise the Devon and Cornwall coastline and improve my boat handling skills. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a Humber Ocean Pro or Ribcraft
Hi Carlo and welcome!

We live in South Devon. We mainly launch from Torquay, Salcombe or the river Dart, but are hoping to try Plymouth next year.
We've got a Brig Falcon 500L with a 50HP Suzuki.
Fingers crossed for large scale vaccine roll out and some nice boating weather in 2021.

Prior to our current boat we had Evinrudes for years and were always really, really pleased with them. (The Suzuki came with the rib). I think there is always an element of luck when it comes to engines and such like. Most are good to you if you look after them.
Best wishes and keep safe.

Gordon
Old 22 December 2020, 18:01   #3

Town: West Devon
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 6m +
Thanks for the reply Gordon. We also use Torquay Harbour to launch. It was a bit stressful first time.
Old 22 December 2020, 18:35   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLOS01 View Post

Welcome to Ribnet.
Nothing wrong with the Etec as long as it’s looked after.
Use XD100 oil, if you’re feeling flush, leave the engine set to TCW30/XD50, but run it on XD100.

Make sure ALL your battery/isolator switch/starter solenoid etc connections are clean & tight. Loose connections can kill the EMM & it ain’t cheap.

Make sure you have good 2micron filter & water separator in the fuel line.

The fuel hose should be 3/8” ID

The EMM is water cooled, the cooling circuit can get clogged after a while, make sure it ain’t.

Apart from that, enjoy the power & torque of the Etec, drive it like you stole it. You should be topping out around 5600RPM WOT.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote