Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30 July 2015, 10:13   #1
Country: UK - England
Town: Ryde
Boat name: Mad-Dash
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1
Greetings, and a question, from the Isle of Wight

Hello everyone. My RIB, an Avon Searider, is fine. It's the inflateable I've acquired as a tender which has stumped me. Any help/suggestions appreciated.
It is a 2.5m B Square Marine, Pro Shore inflateable and it has an inflation valve which I have never come accross before.
Upon removing the twist-off cap from the valve/s in the sponson, one has the usual standard size hole which accepts the hose from a regular pump.
However, in the centre of the hole the hole is a square headed valve (henceforth referred to as the SHV) on a spring which, when depressed, clicks in and out a bit like a ball point pen actuator.
In it's normal position, the SHV is in its outermost, position. In this position, it retains whatever air is in the air in the sponson. However, it will not allow any further air from any inflator to pass into the sponson.
Clearly, the SHV needs to be pressed to allow air to pass it. Indeed, one would consider the air pressure from the pump would depress the SHV, sufficient to allow inflation air to pass. But it doesn't.

In order to allow air to pass the SHV, one has to press the valve and click it into the open position, where it stays down; just like a ballpoint pen actuator.
In this position, the SHV allows air to pass and the sponson/s inflate beautifully.Hurrah. However:
When you remove the inflation tube fron the inflation hole, all the air you have just put in escapes through the now open SHV and continues to do so until you press it to click it out again: by which time all of the air you have just pumped in comes right back out again.

I have asked around and had plenty of people try. But no-one really knows the secret here.
I'm guessing there must be a particular valve adapter or some technique required? But, for now, remain stumped.
Any ideas please anyone?
Yours gratefully.

Martwea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 11:08   #2
Fender's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 522
quite a few tube valves are like you've described, just use quick fingers to depress and pop out the central valve when your at the pressure required, you'll loose a very small amount of air - nothing to stress about

Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 12:14   #3
RIBnet Supporter
willk's Avatar
Country: Ireland
Length: no boat
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,454
Your question is fine in this forum.

That valve sounds very standard - maybe you could post on a couple of photos?

It will require a special fitting as you suspect. However, you should be able to make a workaround - something like a bit of tape and plastic over/in the existing hose end. You just need it to depress the inner valve plunger when filling. The joy is that when you take the hose off, the valve closes.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 06:22   #4
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,672
Include a picture of the end of your filling hose too.
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT. The time now is 13:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.