Old 29 January 2015, 01:33   #1

Town: Chicago
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Zodiac Fastroller 360

I'm eyeing the FR360, however, complaints about the keel not aligning properly was pretty common around 2012. Has Zodiac done anything to alleviate this problem the past few years? My hope is the FR360 has been improved since then, but I'd like to hear from the more experienced folk on how these boats have been faring since then. When I mentioned this problem to a dealer he was flabbergasted just at the notion this could happen.
Old 09 February 2015, 17:02   #2

Town: Delmarva
Boat name: Ss Minnow
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Lehr Propane
I have a Fastroller 325 and I have never had the problem you speak of.
I can tell you that you will need an electric High Pressure pump to properly inflate the air floor and keel.
You need approx 12psi for the floor and keel.
In spite of what a dealer will tell you. You can't get the keel right with the foot pump.
I don't no if that was the problem you ran across or not . I can tell you that there is a huge difference in the performance between the foot pump and the electric adjustable pump
Old 09 February 2015, 20:43   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
If the floor isn't full inflated, the keel will not stand up like a "T" like it is supposed to.

Proper inflation is key. I second "Ronaldj". Electric pumps are the way to go.

They're excellent French-made boats. As long as you clean the boat before putting it away and you keep it out of the sun, you'll get many years of faithful service.

Be sure to wash areas where people sit especially. Sunblock and suntan oil can do weird things to material sometimes.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2015, 20:52   #4

Also after you wipe it down give it a good rub down with 303 Aerospace Protectant .
It extends the life of PVC.
It is a UV protectant.
If it is not available where you live, you can always order it on the Internet.

Another thing you can do to extend boat life is to put on tube chaps.
They are fabric covers for the tube of the boat that repel UV rays
Old 09 February 2015, 21:31   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
My 360 Fastroller suffered the keel off centre issue to such a degree that in its first week of proper use at sea some of the lugs that should retain the keel in position attaching to the floor skin had torn through and the others looked well on their way to failure.

I currently have a 2004 340 Fastroller (virtually the same as 325 but with pointy cones hence the extra length) and when I bought it last year the airfloor to keel hose was leaking. On replacing this hose I found you could control how the HP keel was aligned by the amount of twist on the hose when you positioned and tightened the end connections. I set mine to the optimum and it is pretty close to perfect now.

Regarding the air floor pressure. 12psi is 12psi regardless of how it's produced and I found with the pump that came with the 360 it was possible to make full pressure but needed quite frantic pumping... so I guess many folks might give up and leave it a bit soft.

The pump was missing from my used 340 on collecting it from the seller so I bought a new Bravo 9... despite looking very similar to the Zodiac 360 supplied one (which I'm sure was Bravo made) this latest one is so good with the full air floor pressure I've given up bothering with the BTP12 elec pump on the last few outings.

The other issue I suffered with the 360 was transom stress delamination in the first week of sea use. We were on holiday in Scotland, 15hp 2-stroke and 2 middle weight adults plus 2 teens and often punching into choppy water.

I note the absolute max HP for a 360 is 15 and Zodiac advise 10. Compare this to the Zodiac 3.5 alloy floor Classic model with an HP allowance of 20-25, together with our experience, and I'd now regard the 360 as a lighter duty boat than the more expensive Zodiac models.

Having said all that it was so light and easy to carry, packed away so neatly, easy to assemble/inflate, roomy for 4 folks compared with some others and the performance was very good for a given outboard size.
Old 09 February 2015, 22:12   #6

The Fastroller series are Tenders and as such are designed to be under 50kg or 100lbs
They are designed to be handled by one person without the need for a trailer
The reason the max hp is 15 is because of the weight of 4 stroke outboards.

The Classic and Futura on the other hand are Easy Cruising boats and are designed to be trailered
They weigh more than 60kg or 130lbs.
That is a huge difference thus the need for higher hp outboards
Old 10 February 2015, 13:27   #7

Town: Colorado/Arizona
Make: Saturn SD365
Engine: Suzuki 20 EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldj View Post
I have a Fastroller 325 and I have never had the problem you speak of.
I can tell you that you will need an electric High Pressure pump to properly inflate the air floor and keel.
You need approx 12psi for the floor and keel.
In spite of what a dealer will tell you. You can't get the keel right with the foot pump.
I don't no if that was the problem you ran across or not . I can tell you that there is a huge difference in the performance between the foot pump and the electric adjustable pump
Ronald, you put 12# in your keel? My Saturn says to max. of 5.8 in it. I put 7 and it feels like a sponge, was afraid to put more in. Saturn says only 10# max. on the floor but at 12 it's not even the same boat. Planes much better.
Old 10 February 2015, 13:41   #8

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperbill View Post
Ronald, you put 12# in your keel? My Saturn says to max. of 5.8 in it. I put 7 and it feels like a sponge, was afraid to put more in. Saturn says only 10# max. on the floor but at 12 it's not even the same boat. Planes much better.
Chopperbill,

The Acti-V has a special floor system. The keel is connected to the floor via a hose. When you inflate the floor, it inflates the keel too.

It is very convenient!
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2015, 13:48   #9

Town: Colorado/Arizona
Make: Saturn SD365
Engine: Suzuki 20 EFI
That sounds like a good way to do it. My keel is attached to the bottom. Kinda of bounces up and down, with 7#, on a hard surface when you push on it.
Old 10 February 2015, 15:48   #10

I am in love with the Active V floor system and the fins also.
I will try and locate a picture so you ca see how it works.
I believe that Zodiac is the only mfg doing this type of floor
Old 11 February 2015, 10:58   #11

Town: Widnes
Boat name: FROG
Engine: Outboard 6hp
I have heard about this problem somewhere else too. The advice given was to inflate the tubes first to approximately 80% then before inflating the floor lift it at the sides and centre the keel. Then inflate the floor/keel again to 80%, then fully inflate the tubes and keel to full pressure. Reinflating to full pressure after 10/15 mins on the water.
Having said that I have had no problem with keel alignment on my Zodiac (I also use an electric pump similar to the Bravo) but maybe worth a try for you. Good luck.