Old 03 April 2009, 21:52   #41

Town: Holland
Make: Brig F360S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstamo View Post
What size of propeller do you think is right (lets say for 30hp, and 2 people load)
Depends on the gear ratio and max rpm of the engine, but with the 30hp yam (gear 1,85:1 and max rpm 5500) I would say try something like 13" pitch.
Old 29 June 2009, 09:09   #42

Town: breskens
Boat name: Giona
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20pk
trouble getting the rear out of the water

Hi, just got mysle fa futura M2 HD ( 3,6m) with a honda 20pk 4 stroke engine. I had a futura back in the 80's with only a 10pk 2 stroke engine and that thing rocked.. Now this boat with a 20pk has trouble getting it's rear out of the water.. hence it is making a lot of water in the back and doesn't come up to speed at all. The engine is equied with a standard of factory prop and i am considering to try a power trust kit. The engine is on maximum trim... closest to the boat. I don't have any console to drive it, i'm sitting on the tube hand steering it. total weight on board is about 210 kilo ( 2 kids each 35 kilo, fueltank about 25 kilo and myself.. yes.. 120 kilo..:-) )

Does anyone have tips for me? Or shoud i go for a 30pk engine instead?

Marco
Old 29 June 2009, 13:29   #43

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Sounds like a 20 hp 4 stroke is simply too heavy for a boat of that length. What are the chances of finding a good used 2 stroke?
Old 29 June 2009, 18:51   #44

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mberkhey View Post
Hi, just got mysle fa futura M2 HD ( 3,6m) with a honda 20pk 4 stroke engine. I had a futura back in the 80's with only a 10pk 2 stroke engine and that thing rocked.. Now this boat with a 20pk has trouble getting it's rear out of the water.. hence it is making a lot of water in the back and doesn't come up to speed at all. The engine is equied with a standard of factory prop and i am considering to try a power trust kit. The engine is on maximum trim... closest to the boat. I don't have any console to drive it, i'm sitting on the tube hand steering it. total weight on board is about 210 kilo ( 2 kids each 35 kilo, fueltank about 25 kilo and myself.. yes.. 120 kilo..:-) )

Does anyone have tips for me? Or shoud i go for a 30pk engine instead?

Marco
its not a shortshaft motor you have is it ? , not sure what you mean by making lots of water at the back but sounds like your prop may not be in the water far enough ??
Old 29 June 2009, 21:04   #45

it's a short tale engine. the boat is build to carry a 30pk 4 stroke engine with a short tale. Could it be that the angle (trim) isn't good? should the angle look like this: |\ or like this: |/ to lift the engine out of the water? I would think that it should be like |/ but i talk to people who tell me the opposite.
Old 29 June 2009, 21:11   #46

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Weight distribution makes a big difference as does trim.

Try getting the passengers to move right up to the front - when the boat is planing gradually move backwards.

You need to trim out not in if it is struggling when it is on the plane.
Old 29 June 2009, 22:06   #47

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
My futura had a long shaft engine ,i thought they all required a long shaft ??
Old 30 June 2009, 08:52   #48

ok.. trimming out could solve it then plus the weight distribution. Thanks for the tips. I will try them out tonight when i get home.
on the short tale.. you are right most futuras need a long tale but there is just 1 that needs a short one and thats the 3,6 meter one i have.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

ps. does any one have experience with installing the power trust kit? Does it add a lot of power and if so is this translated in speed or just pure force?
Old 30 June 2009, 17:25   #49

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
This is my mk11 with a yam25
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	060.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	43706  
Old 30 June 2009, 20:06   #50

Town: Holland
Make: Brig F360S
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mberkhey View Post
ok.. trimming out could solve it then plus the weight distribution. Thanks for the tips. I will try them out tonight when i get home.
on the short tale.. you are right most futuras need a long tale but there is just 1 that needs a short one and thats the 3,6 meter one i have.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

ps. does any one have experience with installing the power trust kit? Does it add a lot of power and if so is this translated in speed or just pure force?
Before installing things like a power trust kit... Make sure your engine's anti-ventilation plate (that thing above the prop) is at the same height as your boat's bottom line. I think that causes the problem you have (engine is too low at the moment). You can test it by putting a piece of wood or metal between the bracket and the transom.

Next: try to trim up the engine a bit, it will give you more bowlift and speed.
Old 02 July 2009, 11:10   #51

Town: Canterbury
Boat name: Inflamous
Make: Ribcraft 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
The Zodiac Futura MK2 takes a longshaft and the MK2c takes a short shaft.

In my opinion The best Futura setup would be a 30,40 or 50hp 2 stroke (Yammy) on a pre 2002 Futura when the went to the big tubes due to the added weight of 4 strokes.

Mine is the latest shape but with a ultralight version of the 50hp 2 stroke Yammy and it goes about the same as my old 96 Futura with a 30hp yammy 2 stroke.

I would recommend changing the 20hp honda for a 2 stroke 30hp and above. Watch out for e-tec's as although they are 2 strokes the smaller engines dont have very good power to weight. If you are going to stick with a 4 stroke on the future you will need something like a 50hp to shove it along ok. If you are going to sit and control with a tiller you will always have that same issue with weight distribution.

All the best

G
Old 15 July 2009, 02:57   #52

Town: oshawa
Boat name: ??
Engine: 50hp 3 stroke yamaha
need for speed

I have the same zodiac...1997 futura mkII, aluminum floor, console. I have a 1990 2 stroke yamaha 50hp on it....no tilt/trim. I am trying to figure out what my approx max speed should be. I have seen 35mph on the GPS with just me in the boat and motor manually trimmed quite high. Trying to figure out if I can get even more out of it?
Old 15 July 2009, 15:59   #53

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
I would have expected a higher top speed than 35mph, kerrib.

Weight distribution, prop, trim???

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2009, 17:40   #54

Town: Volos
Make: Zodiac futura mkII
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 30
Sharkbyte
i only get 22knots (4.1m + 30 hp yam 2 stroke)
alone, various trim positions, overinflated, very flat sea
Do you think this is a normal max speed?
Old 16 July 2009, 00:34   #55

Town: oshawa
Boat name: ??
Engine: 50hp 3 stroke yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
I would have expected a higher top speed than 35mph, kerrib.

Weight distribution, prop, trim???
I am going to try maybe a 17 pitch prop, cause I have no issue out of the hole. Because I have only manual trim, I was also going to try trimming the motor high and then maybe add a hydrofoil to limit cavitation. I am thinking the high pitch prop and hydrofoil may bring me up in top speed.
Old 25 July 2009, 12:03   #56

Town: Great Lakes
Boat name: MK2C Futura 3.7
Engine: Nissan 40hp Outboard
Since we are speaking of speed... how is my setup?

I, per the help, suggestions, & tips from you folks picked up a Zodiac Futura MKIIC (3.8m / 12.5ft) with a Nissan 40 Plus 2 Stroke, stock aluminum prop of 11.4 pitch - 12 inch dia.

On somewhat of calm water 1ft. chop, I am getting a top speed of 29.5 knots / 34 mph at 5850 - 5900 rpm. This is with a full tank of gas, my 6' 1" 235 lb self and my 8 yr old son at 70 lbs in it. I clocked the speed with my Garmin handheld Colorado 400c GPS (love this thing BTW).

Is the speed I am getting as expected? _________________

Any advice, tips, or suggestions for what I am experiencing in regards to speed or rpm?______________

Any chance of getting any better top speed... don't get me wrong, going 34 mph seems quite sufficient, but as men... we always want more?________________

I have swithced over to Amsoil synthetic lubrication for the lower unit and mix... supposed to be the best out there for performance & outdrive longevity...

I have to say, this little Zodiac with the 40hp 2-stroke, when you nail it to jump on plain... my 8yr old little guy's eyeballs nearly popped out of their sockets. The boat pretty much stands up on it's transom 90 deg's. He didn't like that at first and wanted me to do a gradual acceleration... I explained that it takes longer and prolongs the bow being up in the air opposed to just nailing it and 2 seconds later we are running flat again. He has grown to love the associated adrenalin of getting it on plane quickly... "nail it Dad"!

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Edmund
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5250.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	44329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5257.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	44330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5262.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	44331  
Old 25 July 2009, 15:06   #57

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
I have a MK11 Futura, older style, with a 40 hp Nissan 3 cyl EPTO. I hit 30mph on the GPS with a full load. I am running a heavier set up than you for sure. I think 34 mph is a pretty good top speed. Even with the speed tubes a SIB is not the most efficient hull surface, so resistance builds up fast. Yes, The Futura had a lot of bowrise when I got it, had the battery and gas tank set up at the transom like you do. Moved my gas tank up forward and strapped my battery under the seat (cam strap to the mounting rails on each side). Getting some of my weight forward reallly tamed the bow rise. Added Smart Tabs and they really do make a big difference. Finally went all out and made a permanent front bench that accomodates my 60lb AGM battery and a custom gas tank (opened up the space on the front floor board where I strapped down my plastic tank). The Zodiac handles soooo much better with a properly balanced load and tabs. At the very least you might consider moving the tank and battery forward if possible.
Initially just strapped the plastic tank down forward, now I use this set up to really open up floor space (has a great hole shot with minimal bow rise too)
Old 25 July 2009, 15:51   #58

Boat name: Pisces
There's certainly been a few references to weight distribution in this thread.

In our experience this was by far and away the biggest influence on our boats handling and performance. To give you an idea, the bowbag (anchor, warp, ods and sods) weighs in at around the same weight as the outboard. The fuel tank is always brimmed, and sits just infront of the console.

Catch up with you guys later, off out fishing for the night.

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2009, 16:22   #59

Town: Great Lakes
Boat name: MK2C Futura 3.7
Engine: Nissan 40hp Outboard
Smart Tabs...... what are they, like trim tabs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
I have a MK11 Futura, older style, with a 40 hp Nissan 3 cyl EPTO. I hit 30mph on the GPS with a full load. I am running a heavier set up than you for sure. I think 34 mph is a pretty good top speed. Even with the speed tubes a SIB is not the most efficient hull surface, so resistance builds up fast. Yes, The Futura had a lot of bowrise when I got it, had the battery and gas tank set up at the transom like you do. Moved my gas tank up forward and strapped my battery under the seat (cam strap to the mounting rails on each side). Getting some of my weight forward reallly tamed the bow rise. Added Smart Tabs and they really do make a big difference. Finally went all out and made a permanent front bench that accomodates my 60lb AGM battery and a custom gas tank (opened up the space on the front floor board where I strapped down my plastic tank). The Zodiac handles soooo much better with a properly balanced load and tabs. At the very least you might consider moving the tank and battery forward if possible.
Initially just strapped the plastic tank down forward, now I use this set up to really open up floor space (has a great hole shot with minimal bow rise too)
Thank You for this info... my Futura being the compact 3.8 / 12.5 ft version lessens the bow weight even more. It's all back heavy no doubt. If my son (8) was old enough, i'd have him get it on plane while my 235 lb's sat at the bow.

So these Smart Tabs, what are they like trim tabs?________________

Really make a difference, even for just adding them with my currrent weight distribution on the Futura? _________________

Any pictures and mfg. info on them, model number, etc.? __________________

Thank You!
Old 25 July 2009, 20:19   #60

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Hmmmm, It really did take a combination of moves to get the handling I expected from my Futura. Strapping the gas tank down up forward and moving the battery to just in front of the bench seat probably had the biggest effect. The bow rise was much better and it's pretty easy to do with the track system on the zodiac. I made my own track guides out of sail stops and d rings. Through bolted a couple of footmans loops on the wood floorboard to strap down the gas tank (counter sunk on the bottom to avoid abrading the boat). A long gas line, a couple of cam straps and your set! The tabs sure do help. If I forget to lower them it is instantly apparent when I throttle up. But would they work well with a full load aft? I never really tried it, but I would expect that they would help. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. When I tow wakeboarders off my short pole I want to see where I'm going and not stand the boat on end. So it was worth it to do everything I needed to as far as balancing my load and trim tabs. It isn't necessary to do everything right off. The Futura is a lot of fun straight off. But I am much happier with the vessel after getting my weight balanced. Here is a link to West Marine's web site that lists the Smart Tabs. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

gotta love that track system

the easy battery move (60lb AGM battery)