Old 25 September 2007, 09:37   #21

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Hi bumble is that 50 on a consul or tiller steer .
I have just got myself a Futura MK3 air floor with a yam 25 ,but wondering how it would handle a Tohatsu 50 . I have to decide quick as the tohasu isn't going to be available much longer.
Console steering and it's great !

I looked at the Tohatsu 50 - Laurence at Barnet Marine was quoting fairly low prices on these a couple of months ago but the stocks were getting low at Tohatsu. However they had larger stocks of the power tilt & trim models.

But the Mk 2 came up second hand with the Yamaha 50hp so I bought that instead. My only regret is not having power tilt & trim - it would be easier to adjust the trim rather than having to move bodies about the boat quite so much, but I may hunt down a second hand trim motor and add that this winter.

I have added a rear bench locker (battery & fuel tank) and am just adding a front locker (anchor, ringo, spare petrol cans etc) to save me carrying so much stuff to the pontoon every day !

On a calm day/ early in the morning she flies but in the chop I have to go slower to reduce the complaints from passengers - at which point I start musing about going to a RIB since I now use the trailer rather than deflating the boat each time...
Old 25 September 2007, 12:46   #22

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleAbout View Post
Console steering and it's great !

I looked at the Tohatsu 50 - Laurence at Barnet Marine was quoting fairly low prices on these a couple of months ago but the stocks were getting low at Tohatsu. However they had larger stocks of the power tilt & trim models.

But the Mk 2 came up second hand with the Yamaha 50hp so I bought that instead. My only regret is not having power tilt & trim - it would be easier to adjust the trim rather than having to move bodies about the boat quite so much, but I may hunt down a second hand trim motor and add that this winter.

I have added a rear bench locker (battery & fuel tank) and am just adding a front locker (anchor, ringo, spare petrol cans etc) to save me carrying so much stuff to the pontoon every day !

On a calm day/ early in the morning she flies but in the chop I have to go slower to reduce the complaints from passengers - at which point I start musing about going to a RIB since I now use the trailer rather than deflating the boat each time...
Yes I wen't to a small rib after my last SIB , I have missed he sib though for the ease of landing and being able to pull it up the beach and camp etc .
I have yet to discover how uncomfy the Futura can get so I am keeping an open mind on what will happen next , but knowing me Ill be in something different again this time next year.

There doesn't seem to any yam 2 strokes left for sale new , hence the Tohatsu choice ,The tohatsu is very light 72kg for the basic tiller model on pre mix with no electrics . Thats only 23 kg heavier then the yam 25
Old 25 September 2007, 13:56   #23

Quote:
Yes I wen't to a small rib after my last SIB , I have missed he sib though for the ease of landing and being able to pull it up the beach and camp etc .
That's exactly why we are on another SIB at the moment !

Quote:
I have yet to discover how uncomfy the Futura can get so I am keeping an open mind on what will happen next
I found that with a crouching stance, I could travel nearly flat out through most chop at an angle and absorb the landings (a virtual jockey seat !). The front edge of the bench seat can catch the back of your legs however. But with other people on board (especially children), I had to reduce speed to maintain safety/ comfort. On a drizzly day in August with a flat sea, it flies along and there were grins all round (6 passengers) - weather completely forgotten !
Old 25 September 2007, 16:55   #24

Thanks for that .
I just spoke to Laurence at Barnet marine and he quoted me an even better price on anew tohatsu 50 .He is a really helpful fella
All the 40,s are sold but the 50 is the same engine , At £2150 I think iam going to have to do it ,last chance me thinks ever.
Old 12 February 2008, 00:45   #25

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
I bought a Futura MKII (4.2m), airdeck with a 30hp Yam from Laurence at Barnet a couple of years back - bought it through ebay for a bargain price of £1300 including full steering setup - sale went through smoothly without any hiccups and he seemed like a decent guy

It was a quick boat, only problem I found was althought the Futura is light compared to most RIBs it felt like a dead weight trying to haul it up a pebble beach at about a 45 degree angle - minimum 3 man job!! (unless you take engine off and everything out of the boat)

As this was the main conditions it was used in I reluctantly had to let her go
Old 12 February 2008, 20:07   #26

To update that last post .

i couldn't get the 50 there were none left in the end , and after a good testing of the futura with the 25 on i felt a 50 would be too much for it with the air floor , which could be made to pop out of place quite easily given a few waves . It also renewed lost memories of how much more hassle a sib can be for launching compared to a hard hull .
si i traded the futura for the boat i have now .
Old 13 February 2008, 18:37   #27

Town: r.c.t
Make: buccaneer
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50hp merc 4stroke
i had a futura 4.7 mtre 2000 model, 40hp suzuki, alloy floor. fantastik boat, i used it for fishing, very stable platform, was very quick and economical, i used it in some very rough conditions, only fault for me was sometimes ive got to beach boat and then get on the trailer as i always go on my own, with no rollercoaster trailer it could be difficult, so gone back to a 4mtre rib..
Old 10 September 2008, 15:58   #28

Town: Darlington
Boat name: LARA
Make: Zodiac Futura mk 2
Engine: Yamaha F40
Zodiac futur Mk2

Hi
I have had my futura since 2000. The reason i bought it was portability as i tow a caravan. I have been on the norfolk broads and out into the north sea,Soloway firth,river tees and my favorite The Fal estury..left to Looe and right to the Lizard. The power unit is aYamaha f40 power trim and tilt suported by 2 fuel tanks and an Optima red battery. I have a vhf radio fitted, A frame and Nav lights,full seating/steering and bow bag and stern box. It goes like a bat out of hell, 37 mph on the Etrex, 2 up.
It takes about 2.5 hrs to fully assemble,the motor can be lifted by 1 person..just [83 kg].
On holiday i assemble in a car park,use spitfire type launching wheels afixed to the transom and at home its trailored [snipe]. The Boat is left moored whilst on holiday.
Performance is very exciting..in the flat and in the chop extreme. The best way to take chop at speed is; wedge yourself well in,assume a croutching position like a jockey. Take the waves diagonaly. Ensure everything is well secured, let rip and hold on to the steering wheel. In the flat an absoslute breeze.
Hope this is of help and i will add some photos shortly.
rgds Shane
Old 11 September 2008, 02:44   #29

Length: 6m +
Hi, I've had a Zodiac Futura MarkIII HD for the past 4 months and honestly love it. No complaints here. This was an upgrade from a much smaller Zoom? I think. Mainly use it for fishing and ripping around on the lake. Have a 40hp 4 stroke Honda. Moves along quite well . Just ordered a 4" Garmin GPS/Sounder to mount on the console.

The only question I have is where is the console supposed to sit...closer to the bow or the stern or smack in the middle. Zodiac dealer mounted ours farther back so the back bench is only about a foot from the stern/transom. And there's lots of room up front. I like the room up front for fishing tackle or whatever. Just wondering where the benches and console are technically supposed to sit.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
Old 14 September 2008, 10:13   #30

I finally got round to taking a photograph and working out how to upload here - however, I hadn't realised how much dust had covered everthing from painting the garage doors last week.

How does the engine height compare with your setup ?
Old 11 October 2008, 23:22   #31

Town: Holland
Make: Brig F360S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
With that SS prop you could try to lift it a hole if it doesn't cavitate at the moment.
Old 13 October 2008, 09:04   #32

Interesting - it doesn't cavitate and I have left the setup well alone so far - maybe I can gain some extra speed ...
Old 29 March 2009, 18:58   #33

Town: Volos
Make: Zodiac futura mkII
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 30
futura MKII 4.1 30hp pack HD

My futura is 2005 model, 4.1 meters, its the pack version, alum floor, with a 30hp 2-stroke outboard.
Some points of concern according to my experience are the following:
1. although it is designed for max 7 people, no more than 4 may be seated due to luck of space (a lot of safety staff, refrigerator, fuel tanks, bow bag etc)
2. uncomfortable to use @ high speeds with more than 3 beauforts (not sufficient dumping)
3. it is true that the propeller might rev out of the water on bad weather if outboard is not installed on the proper height (due to speed tubes)
But overlooking the above, it is a very sophisticated boat, light, fast, safe, and you can use on very shallow waters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1040579.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	41490   Click image for larger version

Name:	L1040936.JPG
Views:	746
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	41491  
Old 31 March 2009, 08:31   #34

Town: Canterbury
Boat name: Inflamous
Make: Ribcraft 5.3
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Hi Gstamo,

Great setup - 30hp Yamaha is best engine for this boat in my opinion.

As you may know from my initial post I run a 2007 Zodiac Futura Mk2 4.2 HD with a 50hp 2 Stroke Yamaha. Although it is currently dismantled and the engine winterised on a trolley as I have bought a Ribcraft 4.8 and am now considering what do do with the Futura.

I did have a 1997 Futura with a 30hp Yamaha and this was the perfect setup - light enough to easiliy launch off the beach with the launch trolley and rear launch wheels.

I agree with you - any chop and it gets very rough in the old futura. However, get a flat calm summers day and the thing is awesome - it corners like its on rails, bit like a zapcat I guess but with comfortable seats and a console.

See here:
<
Old 01 April 2009, 00:46   #35

Boat name: Pisces
Make: Zodiac
I picked up a Zodiac Futura Mk111 4.7m after what seemed like an age of trying to track one down.

It is wholly setup as a fishing vessel with GPS, fishfinder, VHF, pumped livewell etc. and has exceeded our expectations as regards it's practicalities. It was initially purchased as a fast, easily trailer'able / launch'able, summer inshore boat but now regularly ferries us 10 miles out into the North Sea, even in the depths of winter!

I wouldn't agree with it not being good in a chop (comments re: Mk11 4.2m), we've put the boat through some pretty horrendous conditions (force 6/7 wind against a 3 knot tide) and all I can say is that it got us to where we wanted to go, dry and with beaming smiles intact.

Strangely, the conditions I don't particularly like are oily flat calm seas, we must lose at least a couple of knots. A bit of chop gets the air flowing nicely between those speed tubes. ;-)

We've had an absolute ball since getting the Futura, and plans for an epic summer's fishing are well afoot!

Top tip.....get your weight distribution sorted for maximum performance / sea keeping. It can (in our case, did) make a huge difference.

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2009, 08:21   #36

Town: Canterbury
Boat name: Inflamous
Make: Ribcraft 5.3
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Great video - some real beasts pulled from the depths!

What size engine are you running?

Cheers

G
Old 01 April 2009, 20:43   #37

Make: Shearwater
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado
hi everyone,
i also had a futura GT as my first boat. It was 1992 and 3.50m,
The engine was a Jonshon 2 str. 15hp
I will try and find some pics to upload.
Old 02 April 2009, 08:11   #38

Zodiac Futura Mk111 4.7m

Sharkbyte, your fishing video is super,
how deep was at the point you caught the god?
did you reach the bottom or this was a near - surface fishing?
your boat is much bigger than mine (4.1) so makes sence you dont mind 3-4 wind speed
Old 03 April 2009, 10:43   #39

futura mkII 4.1m pack

Dear futurists
i am looking for a mooring cover for my boat, ( the original is very expensive brand new) so i am looking for a second hand, so if you do have and dont want it please inform me
thanks
Old 03 April 2009, 10:45   #40

propeller

What size of propeller do you think is right (lets say for 30hp, and 2 people load)