Old 19 September 2011, 20:37   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Which 3.4-3.6m new hard floor SIB?

So... I have a mint Mariner 15hp short shaft 2-stroke, Bravo pump, transom wheels and all the other kit... but since my second 3.6 Fastroller went back for a full refund... no boat.

Things have changed since I chose the air-floor Zodiac earlier this year and I no longer need the very lightest boat so the choice opens up to hard floored types... in fact now weight isn't such an issue there is little point in paying the premium for an air floor.

Likely to buy new. Choice seems to be a Zodiac Cadet 3.4, Bombard Typhoon 3.6, Quicksilver 340/365 Adventure, Quicksilver 380HD or a Honwave 3.5.

Zodiac Classic discounted due to very high cost.

Any thoughts welcome.
Old 19 September 2011, 21:03   #2

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
You have my curiorisity in high gear.

You seemed to express dissapointment in the Cadet Roll Up, but Zodiac seems to be on the short list for a new boat. We have a new Cadet FR with very little experience using it. If it was a design problem, I would like to know what to watch for in our boat. We should put it in the water again in the next day or so.
Old 19 September 2011, 21:14   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
David - why buy new?? As you know after so many 'which boat' topics this summer on here it's surely just throwing money away. I'd be looking for an older quality built Hypalon model, you can see where I'm going... a Y class!
Old 19 September 2011, 21:38   #4

Frank... I haven't lost faith in Zodiac and hope I was just unlucky with mine. It wouldn't stop me buying another so not needing an air floor this time the Cadet 3.4 might fit the bill. I will PM you a little more detail about the FR.

Max.. You're right of course re the value in used boats. However buying new has served me well this time if you think I've had one exchange and then a full refund with all carriage costs paid both ways on both occasions. My final refund for the Fastroller was around £1600 and it had crossed my mind to buy a used outfit and sell off the outboard in the spring to get a low cost boat. But we're busy at the moment (moving house tomorrow into rental after 17yrs in the same place with a further move into the place we buy near Christmas) so buying new up to £1200 is easy, gives peace of mind and still leaves a bit over. There are some boat show offers on at the moment too.

A tough old hypalon boat does have some appeal but this summer's very successful holiday refined our inflatable needs and we know something around 140lbs and 3.5m will be best for the next few years.
Old 20 September 2011, 00:36   #5

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
Fenlander, thank you for the reply. For some reason my computer has been going wild tonight, but I got your PM.

I hope you find the boat which will serve you well. Those inflatables get in your blood, as they are amazing with what they will do. We have had one for years that we could put into the trunk of a car or the camping trailer.

We have a fishing trip for both the kayaks and inflatable coming up, so it will be the first time I get to use my wife's inflatable. She picked out the small FR as they did not have a larger one in stock. It should do fine for some fairly quiet water fishing for the two of us.

I will be looking closely at it to make sure we do not have a problem with it. Our dealer is a stand up guy who would work with us if we had a problem.
Old 23 September 2011, 12:56   #6

Well in the end I ordered a Honwave 3.5m alloy floor. Boat show offer with boat inc usual extras, bow bag, seat bag and overall fitted cover for under £900 delivered. Get it next week so really looking forward to a test trip soon (but I have just moved and sit surrounded by boxes so Mrs F may have other ideas!).