Old 02 May 2021, 16:11   #1

Town: Weymouth
Boat name: The Folly
Make: Boatworld
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outward 15hp 4 strok
Water tell stopped

Hi all,

Got our new Orca 15hp setup this afternoon to have a run on dry land to start to familiarise ourselves, as both the engine and we are Newbie's.

Anyway as you can see in the photo I set it up inside a big bin which went well over the inlet pipes, checked everything out and started it. The water "tell" i think its called started up and everything looked great. Then the water tell stopped, so I killed the engine out of caution.

Can I check, is there any good reason the water tell woujld have stopped, so am i worrying about nothing, OR am i worrying about something ?!

thanks for any advice in advance

Paul Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	137181
Old 02 May 2021, 16:18   #2

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Get a piece of strimmer chord or similar and poke it up the tell tail and try it again. It is most likely just blocked. Running it with no water to test for a short while will not cause an issue.

Also if you take the cowl off and look where the pipe is connected to the tell tail you can disconnect it there and poke the pipe outside the engine and run it to see if any water comes out.

If the problem persists and looking at the engine which looks quite new it could be that your impellor has failed. Replacing an impellor is reasonably easy and there are lots of videos on You Tube that can help you.

The other thing it could be is clagged up cooling ways in the cooling jacket but looking at how new that engine looks I doubt if that is the issue
Old 02 May 2021, 16:31   #3

thanks SB the engine is brand new so shouldn't be blocked but i'll go and check that now, thanks
Old 02 May 2021, 16:36   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I was just about to post commenting the fact your engine is brand new makes a big difference.

The advice re strimmer wire and checking if the pee outlet is tube fed and checking that is all good.

However being a new engine do not run it any more unless you can get the pee stream to start in a few seconds but get straight onto Boatworld Tuesday.
Old 02 May 2021, 16:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I was just about to post commenting the fact your engine is brand new makes a big difference.

The advice re strimmer wire and checking if the pee outlet is tube fed and checking that is all good.

However being a new engine do not run it any more unless you can get the pee stream to start in a few seconds but get straight onto Boatworld Tuesday.
To the OP. Running it for a short while (less than about 30 seconds) to do the test I suggested will be fine. Just don't run it much longer and always in the water butt you have
Old 02 May 2021, 17:00   #6

ok thanks both, good to know my paranoia was probably well founded - so i'll check the pee outlet first before doing one more test
Old 02 May 2021, 17:50   #7

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Is the tell tale controlled by the thermostat?
And doesn't put out water until it's warm enough to open?

BUT It's a brand new engine so you would be well advised to leave it alone until you speak to the seller & do what they tell you.
Old 02 May 2021, 20:49   #8

The normal flow of cooling water is into the cooling Jacket and then in effect a T one part going to the tell tale and the other part going to the thermostat which when the engine is hot enough opens and lets cool water flor to the other parts that are cooled. Either way I have never known a situation where the thermostat is before the tell tale and only operates once the engine is up to temp. This could conceivable be the case but would be very unusual
Old 02 May 2021, 21:54   #9

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
i'd get straight on to the supplier as it' a new engine, state you are not getting telltale stream before doing anything else, and document the advice given so you can't give rise to anything to invalidate the warranty. Also state that as soon as you started it and there was now telltail after a few seconds you shut it down to prevent damage.

i's suggest you propose the supplier swaps the engine, and does a demo test to show it's working before accepting anything new, or at lease checks the current engine over and runs it to prove its working fine
Old 03 May 2021, 07:56   #10

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
The normal flow of cooling water is into the cooling Jacket and then in effect a T one part going to the tell tale and the other part going to the thermostat which when the engine is hot enough opens and lets cool water flor to the other parts that are cooled. Either way I have never known a situation where the thermostat is before the tell tale and only operates once the engine is up to temp. This could conceivable be the case but would be very unusual

Mariner 15hp approx 2000 era. Tell tale operates when thermostat opens and stops when it closes. To OP if that’s the motor they copied could be that so I wouldn’t be doing much of anything to a brand new motor. Speak to seller to confirm or arrange testing I would [emoji4]
Old 03 May 2021, 08:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Mariner 15hp approx 2000 era. Tell tale operates when thermostat opens and stops when it closes. To OP if that’s the motor they copied could be that so I wouldn’t be doing much of anything to a brand new motor. Speak to seller to confirm or arrange testing I would [emoji4]
That is interesting
Old 03 May 2021, 08:58   #12

Town: Falmouth
Engine: Yam 150F
Very interesting.

If the tell tale operates when the thermostat is open only i.e. warm, why did the OP see a tell tale when it first started? The thermostat would be closed as cold, or could it be that there was some water in the block from a previous test and it was this water that was pumped out the tell tale before running out?
Old 03 May 2021, 09:01   #13

>>>Mariner 15hp approx 2000 era. Tell tale operates when thermostat opens and stops when it closes.

Yes indeed all the Mercury/Mariner models 9.9/15hp from mid 1990s to mid 2000s do this if operating correctly. I've only experienced it with this powerhead design/age range within Mercury/Mariners and not with any other make (so far). It is a little disconcerting to see the tell tale falter and stop for some seconds then restart at idle and very low speeds...usually once above idle there is enough heat generated when under way to keep the stream constant.

I do not believe this is anything to do with the OPs issue as I think the ORCA is a Yamaha design clone and they pee like a good un from idle upwards.
Old 03 May 2021, 10:18   #14

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
My late 80's Mercury V6 2 stroke does the same. Which is why I raised it as a possibility.
Once warm - doesn't take long - it's a strong jet.
Old 03 May 2021, 10:19   #15

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Mariner 15hp approx 2000 era. Tell tale operates when thermostat opens and stops when it closes.

Yes indeed all the Mercury/Mariner models 9.9/15hp from mid 1990s to mid 2000s do this if operating correctly. I've only experienced it with this powerhead design/age range within Mercury/Mariners and not with any other make (so far). It is a little disconcerting to see the tell tale falter and stop for some seconds then restart at idle and very low speeds...usually once above idle there is enough heat generated when under way to keep the stream constant.

I do not believe this is anything to do with the OPs issue as I think the ORCA is a Yamaha design clone and they pee like a good un from idle upwards.

Yeah agreed. unlikely this is the problem. The point was more leave er alone until you speak to seller [emoji4]
Old 05 May 2021, 09:13   #16

Hi all,

Spoke with boatworld who've been very helpful, so out of that I've checked for a blockage on the pipe with no luck there, and run the engine 3 times now and the same thing keeps happening so they're taking it back.
We're now in a bit of a bind, kind of dis-illusioned with the experience at the moment so mulling over what to do next, so far it's all been a bit of a pain in the **** (if you've seen my other thread)
Any thoughts / ideas welcome

Paul
Old 05 May 2021, 09:19   #17

Paul initial thought if you haven't already bought the trailer (which I think you didn't want really) then just get this ultra heavy engine refunded and look again for something lighter.

David
Old 05 May 2021, 09:34   #18

David,

that's what i was discussing with the boatworld rep (very helpful), the dicussion was basically....
the honda is a bit lighter, much more expensive, and not available til october
they'll have a 12.5hp engine coming in June / July which weighs 40kg (new model Orca)
They have 8HP (26kg) and 10HP (42kg) but that sounds like it would be a bit under-powered for the 5 of us.
Hence we're in a bit of a quandry, maybe the pragmatic option is we go small engine and don't get up on the plane for what this is which is a "toe in the water" experience to see if we like it and want to go bigger (or stick with a SIB for the longer term)?
Old 05 May 2021, 09:49   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by weymouth_sib View Post
David,

that's what i was discussing with the boatworld rep (very helpful), the dicussion was basically....
the honda is a bit lighter, much more expensive, and not available til october
they'll have a 12.5hp engine coming in June / July which weighs 40kg (new model Orca)
They have 8HP (26kg) and 10HP (42kg) but that sounds like it would be a bit under-powered for the 5 of us.
Hence we're in a bit of a quandry, maybe the pragmatic option is we go small engine and don't get up on the plane for what this is which is a "toe in the water" experience to see if we like it and want to go bigger (or stick with a SIB for the longer term)?

Buy in haste repent at leisure.
No offence, but it sounds like you’ve got money burning a hole in your pocket. Continue down this route & you’re going to end up with the “B*****d offspring of a pox doctors clerk”. In 12-18 months time, when the supply issues have been resolved, you’re going to have something on your hands that you can’t get rid off. You’ve already been bitten by the Chinese rip-off Orca, stay away. I think you need to reset & start again, either bide your time or find a decent second hand setup.
All just my opinion of course, for what it’s worth.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2021, 09:55   #20

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
You could look to getting a Parsnip.
Impressive that they have four stroke EFI even in smaller sizes. Also selling (non commercial?) 15hp/36kg two strokes.

https://www.billhigham.co.uk/categor...boards-motors/