Old 06 April 2021, 19:57   #1

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Wasn’t sure where to put this.....SUP boards

So had a go on a paddle board and quite enjoyed it in the right conditions so may consider one.

Anyone got an inflatable SUP? Seem to be a lot around £300 aimed at beginners but tried an inflatable kayak.... was a waste of money...

So looking at the next level £5-600 having tried a friends board the more expensive one was much better.

Being more portly than is good for me I need something stable and decent but it may end up lingering in the shed.... so don’t want to spend more than I need to and income is less stable right now than me on a Lidl paddle board
Old 06 April 2021, 20:19   #2

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I bought a 10/6 Red Inflatable Paddleboard from a gentleman from this parish.

They're not cheap but they are great.

We're really pleased with it and would highly recommend it.

No deals on these things I'm afraid.
Old 06 April 2021, 20:36   #3

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
We bought a Jobe and then a cheapie from a supermarket. The Jobe is significantly better at dealing with my bulk.

An electric pump takes the hassle out of getting it up to pressure. It's quite hard work with a hand pump doing the last few psi.
Old 06 April 2021, 21:01   #4

Seen the red I’d want a boat for a grand

Jobe has been mentioned a local hire place uses those I might give one a go.

I tried an oshea 11.2 which was much better than the cheapie.

Sometimes you just want to get out on the water for an hour with the hassle and this is an option I can use locally and afford...... hopefully
Old 07 April 2021, 07:30   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I'm a SUPer - it's the ultimate solution to simple boating without the weight, bulk and all the 'stuff' to cart down the beach etc:

RIB=big faff, SIB = less faff, SUP = zero faff.

The ultimate minimalist 'boat' there is and an awesome all over body workout and stress buster.

I'd suggest checking some of the main UK YT channels for how-to (properly) paddle and use these things - most people launch them off the beach and venture 50m this way and that with an imaginary bungee attached then sell it after two more goes.

Red Paddle are the big name but they ask the earth for not really much more than most others but they do hold their value so it's all relative - I'd check Jobe, Fanatic, Fatstick, O'Shea etc and don't discount Decathlon - their boards are superb quality for the money (not a lot more than a supermarket special).

https://fatstickboards.com/shop/2019...et-isup-106-2/

My local SUP shop has some nice boards too:

https://www.turtlebaypaddleboards.co...paddler-s-shop

SUPCO has a great YT channel and shop with lots of info:

https://www.thesupco.com/sup-boards-c1/allround-t13

Paddle is important - go for the lightest carbon you can - makes a big difference when you lift it up and back 1000's of times in a long paddle - again Decathlon carbon paddles are superb value and the one I use.

Don't buy more board than you need - the 5" are preferred to most of the 6" thick things that just sit on the water too high.
Old 07 April 2021, 08:07   #6

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
So had a go on a paddle board and quite enjoyed it in the right conditions so may consider one.

Anyone got an inflatable SUP? Seem to be a lot around £300 aimed at beginners but tried an inflatable kayak.... was a waste of money...

So looking at the next level £5-600 having tried a friends board the more expensive one was much better.

Being more portly than is good for me I need something stable and decent but it may end up lingering in the shed.... so don’t want to spend more than I need to and income is less stable right now than me on a Lidl paddle board
A Cheap Blow up canoe and a Cheap SUP are very different. The SUPs you can buy for £300 are very good. Also if you buy the correct blow up canoe (Itiwit from Decathlon) for £300 they are also very good.

More expensive does not always mean better it offten just means more expensive..... Certainly the case with Paddleboards I recon

Here is one member on this forum learning on a £275 Paddleboard

Old 07 April 2021, 08:09   #7

And if you want a Canoe this is the one to buy

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflat...s/_/R-p-163733

Old 07 April 2021, 08:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I'm a SUPer - it's the ultimate solution to simple boating without the weight, bulk and all the 'stuff' to cart down the beach etc:

RIB=big faff, SIB = less faff, SUP = zero faff.

The ultimate minimalist 'boat' there is and an awesome all over body workout and stress buster.
I like the idea but already seems "faffy" with the inflating and then deflating (how easily do they go back in the bags? My mates just chucked them in his van a luxury i dont have) years of carting windsurfers around on roof bars i could go for a hard board (less puncture risk) but they seem to be a lot more money

Quote:
I'd suggest checking some of the main UK YT channels for how-to (properly) paddle and use these things - most people launch them off the beach and venture 50m this way and that with an imaginary bungee attached then sell it after two more goes.
Isn't that most water activities? Seen plenty of boats do the same...... While i would like to go further inland, paddling rivers and lakes/reservoirs appeals more than sea although the sea is where i have tried, but have other forms of entertainment.

Have seen people advocate having lessons? necessary?

It also seems to be an activity of a specific demographic (one to which I dont belong)

Quote:
Red Paddle are the big name but they ask the earth for not really much more than most others but they do hold their value so it's all relative - I'd check Jobe, Fanatic, Fatstick, O'Shea etc and don't discount Decathlon - their boards are superb quality for the money (not a lot more than a supermarket special).
Shame no decathlon near me but i guess mail order is everything these days Ill take a look
Quote:
I'll have a look Oshea and Jobe are what i was recommended i would buy used on the basis it will spend more time rolled up than inflated, but whats if the lifespan of these i see Jobe do a 3 yr warranty and due to the high pressure can they be effectively repaired?

Quote:
Paddle is important - go for the lightest carbon you can - makes a big difference when you lift it up and back 1000's of times in a long paddle - again Decathlon carbon paddles are superb value and the one I use.

Don't buy more board than you need - the 5" are preferred to most of the 6" thick things that just sit on the water too high.
Thanks re the paddle i hadn't considered that so much, i tried a cheap board that was thinner and shorter and my feet were awash the 6" board (i think it was) stayed dry
Old 07 April 2021, 09:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
A Cheap Blow up canoe and a Cheap SUP are very different. The SUPs you can buy for £300 are very good. Also if you buy the correct blow up canoe (Itiwit from Decathlon) for £300 they are also very good.

More expensive does not always mean better it offten just means more expensive..... Certainly the case with Paddleboards I recon

Here is one member on this forum learning on a £275 Paddleboard

The canoe/kayak is a Seyvlor while im sure a £275 paddleboard can work i also tried one and wasn't nice i actually tried last year and struggled to stand on it, tried again this year and was able to use the newer larger one and mastered the smaller one in calmer waters but not as nice to use I also went for a swim which was nice trying to find the balance between paying for label (all the cheaper ones seem to come out the same factory just with a different name on them) and buying something that will last.
Old 07 April 2021, 09:16   #10

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Venom
Make: Osprey, Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard;Honda 225
My lad (6ft) and a surfer bought one of these and is very happy with it for when the surf's not up...

https://www.aquaplanetsports.com/sho...106-long-2021/
Old 07 April 2021, 10:13   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
We have a decathlon one for when the faff of proper boating doesn't work with real life. I've used solid SUPs and Red ones - and for my level of skill and physique can't see much difference - but it is really important that they are properly inflated. It does fit easily back in its carry bag/rucksack, but a pump small enough to carry down to the beach is a lot of pumping...

...I don't know if I'm just paranoid, but I take the H/H VHF, wear a bouyancy aid etc - I do worry that they are so accessible (and getting the basics is so simple) that people are going to find themselves in bother... I've done day trips, but not gone as far as carrying a sleeping bag etc.
Old 07 April 2021, 10:25   #12

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I leave mine inflated, same as SIB. No roof rack needed they are so light, just pop it on roof with insulation piping underneath and two cam straps over.

Don’t go for a hard board unless getting serious and you need the ultimate rigidity. They are heavily, much more vulnerable and less user and rock friendly. Think RIB vs hard boat.

If you’re worried about wet feet definitely forget a hard board!

Check the various sup guides from the main dealers regarding weight, width, depth etc.
Old 07 April 2021, 10:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2Mar View Post
My lad (6ft) and a surfer bought one of these and is very happy with it for when the surf's not up...

https://www.aquaplanetsports.com/sho...106-long-2021/
Unlikely as a surfer he is 17 stone

Being 6ft would be nice too
Old 07 April 2021, 11:29   #14

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
What do you guys do re pumps?

I have the Red detonator style pump but it's hard work to inflate and get up to correct operating pressure. We're going on a bit of a trip (hopefully) in July and potentially we could be using it every day for about a week. With only the car for storage and security that's alot of pumping.

So I've been looking at electronic 12v pumps that you set to a desired pressure and leave it to it, but they're expensive?

Any advice please?

I've been wondering about installing a Schrader valve on to the right adapter and filling it up at a petrol station.
Old 07 April 2021, 11:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
We have a decathlon one for when the faff of proper boating doesn't work with real life. I've used solid SUPs and Red ones - and for my level of skill and physique can't see much difference - but it is really important that they are properly inflated. It does fit easily back in its carry bag/rucksack, but a pump small enough to carry down to the beach is a lot of pumping...

...I don't know if I'm just paranoid, but I take the H/H VHF, wear a bouyancy aid etc - I do worry that they are so accessible (and getting the basics is so simple) that people are going to find themselves in bother... I've done day trips, but not gone as far as carrying a sleeping bag etc.
I have only tried at the beach but inland appeals more for supping at least initially

It was sunny but water was cold (very ) on the weekend even i full wetsuit with boots and gloves also tired with and without bA and had VHF in the car But i do agree i can see more issues and shouts coming the "pro SUPpers" were in t-shirts and rash vests and the others in beach wear while pleasing to look at wouldnt have been much use if they had an issue

Quote:
I leave mine inflated, same as SIB. No roof rack needed they are so light, just pop it on roof with insulation piping underneath and two cam straps over.

Don’t go for a hard board unless getting serious and you need the ultimate rigidity. They are heavily, much more vulnerable and less user and rock friendly. Think RIB vs hard boat.

If you’re worried about wet feet definitely forget a hard board!

Check the various sup guides from the main dealers regarding weight, width, depth etc.
OK hard board is off the agenda then, my concern was puncturing the inflatable especially on rivers where depth can change and stones shopping trolleys and lots of other litter is an issue (bottles etc) would want hard soled boots!

Does board keep its shape on the roof?
Old 07 April 2021, 17:15   #16

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I had a few SUP lessons last year and the instructor gave me the following buying advice, pressure is more important than cost when buying a SUP. She said anything under 15psi should remain in the shop. For my build 6" 1" and 96KG she recommended 17 - 20 psi, a minimum of 12Ft and to ensure the paddle was light and the correct length for my height.
Still working on my better half to convince her that I "Need" one for when the conditions aren't right to go sibbing or canoeing.
Interested to hear why you didn't like your inflatable canoe. I've have a Sevylor Sirocco for about 6 years and been more than happy with it. Providing its bang on pressure I have found it to be light, responsive'ish and relatively quick. I do prefer using it on moving water and will often do a grade 2 and the odd grade 3.
Old 07 April 2021, 18:43   #17

Pressure might be the issue with seyvlor may be like a sib inflated on a hot beach and then put in U.K. sea it lost pressure?

That sounds a big and high pressure board and I’m over 100kg (will be kitted up) or was and a lot of pressure I’m sure the board I was hung was 11’2” a lot are 10’6” like the jobe I was looking at and pumping to 17psi + in fact part of the reason for looking at the O’Shea was it’s supposed to work at lower pressure
Old 07 April 2021, 19:09   #18

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
The Sevylor canoe is affected by temperature to a greater degree than a SIB because it has less volume of air in it. I always slightly over inflate it, then top it up after its been in the water after 15mins or so. Conversely I always let some pressure out when it's on dry land in the sun.
I should also have mentioned that she said to go for a slightly narrower board than a beginners board, around 30", takes a bit longer to learn stability but once mastered will enable you to go faster and further. A bit narrower hence the need for a longer length. Higher pressure is all down to rigidity, back to your squidgy Sevylor
Old 07 April 2021, 19:29   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
What do you guys do re pumps?
I use the standard decathlon one (single cylinder). I’m tempted to get an electric one but probably don’t really use it enough to justify. If I’m on holiday I leave it up for the week/weekend. On long trips I take it with me... if I was in a group then only one of us would carry a pump.
Old 07 April 2021, 20:25   #20

My Sup came with its own Pump.... The £300 ones seem to the More expensive ones dont..... Go figure

I also think you need one that is 150 mm (6 Inch) thick. Not a 4 Inch