Old 05 May 2021, 10:04   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
And in a sanitised version of PD's to the point comments above... I don't think anything you've been offered is suited to your circumstance.

Getting on the plane will be a real issue with the size of your SIB and the load you intend to carry. My 3.8m which is a far lighter SIB than yours would only plane using an 8hp if kept to two adults and then it was only just on the plane when flat out with no leeway to ease the throttle back to give the outboard a breather. Add one more light teen and we were back to displacement speed. We found a 15 ideal for two adults and a teen but when we were often two adults and two late teen girls we moved up to a 20hp.

So if you wish to plane I think the 8hp is a non-starter for you and similarly a 10hp not enough. If you accept you can't plane a 6hp would move you at displacement speed OK... but I have reservations regarding a well loaded SIB on the open sea with too little power as you often need in waves to alter the attitude of the boat by the use of power even if the speed is little changed.

So if you were taking the whole family out with less power than ideal I'd keep to benign estuary use for now.
Old 05 May 2021, 17:32   #22

Town: Weymouth
Boat name: The Folly
Make: Boatworld
Engine: Outward 15hp 4 strok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
And in a sanitised version of PD's.
you've got to love the internet, thanks David we're going to talk it all through and decide a plan, getting on the "plane" doesn't matter so much just being able to pootle about but safely is the critical thing, either way 15hp still seems like the right number talking it through with boatworld and our local chandlery / boat-shop.

thanks again

Paul
Old 08 May 2021, 07:03   #23

I spotted a mint looking Yam/Mariner 15 up for sale in Surrey via Facebook marketplace yesterday.

It's up for strong money and I got the impression that the chap is only selling it because the market is so strong and it's tempted him to dispose of a family heirloom that's been gathering dust for the last few years.

Having recently needed a 20 for a new SIB and finding the market to be a bit of a mess from the buyer's perspective I decided to go old school for this season and possibly next. I like the simplicity of 2 strokes and that so long as the cylinders give good compression results then everything else is pretty easy. Clean and re-gap plugs, whip off the carb and soak and scrub in fuel, wash out the casing, change the fuel filter, gearbox oil and water impeller and you nearly always end up with something that may look old and shabby but starts first pull and runs as smoothly as the day it was new.

Plus, at 34kg the old Yams are 10kg lighter than most modern 15s.

Re the telltale working and then stopping. That sounds like the water flushed out some factory debris from inside the galleries and it's blocked it up. Or the pump has an issue.

Pulling the pipe to the telltale off at the block is normally my first starting point as that gives a pretty clear result as to whether the blockage is telltale related or in the engine or down at the pump. If there's a good flow then you just need to clear out the pipe downstream.

If there is no flow then, then in your case it's time for the vendor to kindly come and collect but when not brand new I prefer to to drop the gearbox off and first try flushing water under pressure via a garden spray (the hose usually pushes on to the engine easily) and the. take the top off the water pump to look for an issue before contemplating going in to the engine.

With it being a new engine and a copy of a good engine then it could be a bit of debris or it could be something left off or fitted erroneously at the factory. But it's the vendor's issue to fix and I think you're lucky to find the issue straight away at home rather than the annoyance of finding it out on the water.