Old 12 April 2022, 23:11   #1

Time for an outboard (Costco sib?)

So, in a turn if events, my sib package purchase has fallen through but I'm very keen to get out on the water, with a limited budget.

I stumbled across a brand new 3.30m hydro force airdeck in Costco with a damaged box (I've checked and it is just the box and cardboard) for £360. I've snapped it as don't think it's likely that I'll find a good sib package for a reasonable price at this point if I want to get out this season.

The bonus is that instead of trying to find my ideal package, now I can just put together a very good value starter package for us to just get out.

I did want a Yamaha 4stroke 6hp due weight and the 3 sided storage, however I can manage one side storage to get started.

So, if it was your potential setup, which lightweight (<35kg ish) outboard would you pair with it?

Or maybe it's easier to ask what I should be avoiding?
Old 13 April 2022, 00:28   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
It's a shame about that outfit as it was ideal... no matter just move on.

Best to double check by looking in the box but I think your new SIB is rated to 15hp but if you wish to keep to your 35kg then it would have to be a used 15hp 2-stroke as the modern 15hp 4-strokes weigh 44kg+

To keep to 35kg in modern 4-strokes you would be looking at the 10hp models in most brands. In truth I'd not be pushing a lightweight budget air deck to its max HP anyway. It will probably feel more balanced with a 10hp.

But weren't you looking at a smaller outboard like a 6hp anyway?

Outboards to avoid... well I'd put it a different way... just be aware some non mainstream brands will have a lower resale potential and possibly lesser parts support.

However there is a possibility on here to get you started. Look at this listing from Chipko... a long established and trusted member. His 8hp will be as new because he cares for his gear and it is half the price of a new Yamaha 6hp it's based on.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f10/for-sa...8hp-86606.html

I'd PM him and ask some questions... he'll be straight with you.... tell him I sent you ha ha.
Old 13 April 2022, 06:16   #3
Spammer

I'm a big fan of Johnson Evinrude 2 strokes and they're very popular .

They even have a bible written about them.

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Out...0articles.html

A 15 would be perfect for your boat, and a 9.9 just as good.
Old 13 April 2022, 10:01   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewater View Post
So, in a turn if events, my sib package purchase has fallen through but I'm very keen to get out on the water, with a limited budget.

I stumbled across a brand new 3.30m hydro force airdeck in Costco with a damaged box (I've checked and it is just the box and cardboard) for £360. I've snapped it as don't think it's likely that I'll find a good sib package for a reasonable price at this point if I want to get out this season.

The bonus is that instead of trying to find my ideal package, now I can just put together a very good value starter package for us to just get out.

I did want a Yamaha 4stroke 6hp due weight and the 3 sided storage, however I can manage one side storage to get started.

So, if it was your potential setup, which lightweight (&lt;35kg ish) outboard would you pair with it?

Or maybe it's easier to ask what I should be avoiding?

I reckon you’ve 2 ways of looking at this.
1, Stick a cheap Chinese clone engine on the back of your cheap boat (an when I say cheap boat, I mean it literally not in any derogatory way), try it all for a season, see if boating is for you & either sell up or move up at the end of the season. If you decide you don’t want to continue, there’s no great loss & you’ll get most of your money back.
2, buy a decent 2nd hand engine with an eye to swapping the boat & putting your engine on the next boat. The downside of this, is that you will be looking for a boat that will suit your engine & this can be limiting.

I’d be tempted, and I never thought I’d hear myself say this, to go for the cheap & cheerful option 1, unless you get extremely lucky & drop on a unicorn 9.8 Twatsu.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 10:54   #5

>>>I’d be tempted, and I never thought I’d hear myself say this, to go for the cheap & cheerful option 1, unless you get extremely lucky & drop on a unicorn 9.8 Twatsu.

100% my thoughts hence hooking him up with Chipko.

I haven't done the "you should ideally have a Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke" bit... yet. But it is the perfect partner for a budget air floor.
Old 13 April 2022, 11:16   #6

Yes, definitely a shame as looked nice, but not deterred!

Those 40kg+ 4 strokes I'm almost sure I would not be able to manage with any consistently with my various health conditions so have written them off, as I also won't be trailering. VW Passat sized boot only. And I guess the 10hp 4 strokes don't make much sense, especially for the cost.

Therefore, from my research the 6hp yam would have been a great starter outboard for us, due to beginner ease of everything, no mixing fuel, storage, reliability, weight, general easy of use, resale cost should I want or need to sell, or just don't like hassle of it all/health issues.

However, I know ultimately that we would want the 9.8 2stroke or possibly upto one of the ~35kg 2strokes as would like to plane with 2 adults and gear. - but appreciate that this could be our idealistic scenario based on what I want in my head with zero experience.

So now that I have a sib (I checked and it takes upto 15hp) that wasn't as much as I was expecting to pay, I have slightly more money which I could spend on our long term outboard and skip our 'beginner' outboard stage.

I'm in two minds, as i could just get a used quality brand 5/6hp 2 stroke (£200-400 from research) or a used quality brand 5/6hp 4stroke (£400-600 from research). getting out for under £1k with very minimal loss if resold is very tempting.

Im not sure the orca fits with what im after, unless it was very cheap. There is question mark as for its actual resale value (i cant find any sales comparisons) and i'd not want to be the one having a hard time selling it, which it seems could be the case with theirs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
It's a shame about that outfit as it was ideal... no matter just move on.

Best to double check by looking in the box but I think your new SIB is rated to 15hp but if you wish to keep to your 35kg then it would have to be a used 15hp 2-stroke as the modern 15hp 4-strokes weigh 44kg+

To keep to 35kg in modern 4-strokes you would be looking at the 10hp models in most brands. In truth I'd not be pushing a lightweight budget air deck to its max HP anyway. It will probably feel more balanced with a 10hp.

But weren't you looking at a smaller outboard like a 6hp anyway?

Outboards to avoid... well I'd put it a different way... just be aware some non mainstream brands will have a lower resale potential and possibly lesser parts support.

However there is a possibility on here to get you started. Look at this listing from Chipko... a long established and trusted member. His 8hp will be as new because he cares for his gear and it is half the price of a new Yamaha 6hp it's based on.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f10/for-sa...8hp-86606.html

I'd PM him and ask some questions... he'll be straight with you.... tell him I sent you ha ha.
Old 13 April 2022, 11:24   #7

Thanks, there seem to be so many different years etc I'm not sure I'd know where to start.

What would be a good minimum year that you would purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
I'm a big fan of Johnson Evinrude 2 strokes and they're very popular .

They even have a bible written about them.

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Out...0articles.html

A 15 would be perfect for your boat, and a 9.9 just as good.
Old 13 April 2022, 11:36   #8

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I understand the 'cheap' thing I actually started my journey seeing the sib in Costco a few years ago then doing research on it, which led me to this site, where I read through the posts on the Costco boats and other 'chinese copies'. I Read through all the other peoples journeys and all the help you all give, which is why I ultimately decided in a second hand good quality used package.

However, wanting to actually start and get out this season, and some luck in finding a brand new boat with warranty for not much money. I'm starting to think it just makes sense to get the 9.8 or similar holy grails if I can get one for a reasonable price as as a back up (incase I can't find a reasonable price grail outboard) get a lower power 5/6 hp 2 or 4 stroke with the thought, like you said, that both the boat and outboard will be sold off as slowly acquire my perfect sib and outboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I reckon you’ve 2 ways of looking at this.
1, Stick a cheap Chinese clone engine on the back of your cheap boat (an when I say cheap boat, I mean it literally not in any derogatory way), try it all for a season, see if boating is for you & either sell up or move up at the end of the season. If you decide you don’t want to continue, there’s no great loss & you’ll get most of your money back.
2, buy a decent 2nd hand engine with an eye to swapping the boat & putting your engine on the next boat. The downside of this, is that you will be looking for a boat that will suit your engine & this can be limiting.

I’d be tempted, and I never thought I’d hear myself say this, to go for the cheap & cheerful option 1, unless you get extremely lucky & drop on a unicorn 9.8 Twatsu.
Old 13 April 2022, 11:41   #9

I have to say the Johnson/Evinrude have never been quite so popular or freely available in the UK as the USA where it is the go-to brand.

Not saying there is anything wrong with them if you tripped across one as a great deal but in the UK we tend to buy Yamaha, Mercury, Mariner, Tohatsu, Suzuki etc.

But in truth you really have to decide which way you want to go re small and lower cost to get started or get your "forever" outboard now. Prices are still very high of all used motors and availability low which makes finding one so hard.

Also to make a 2-stroke or 4-stroke decision would help refine the search.
Old 13 April 2022, 11:57   #10

Also re weight as you say you have health conditions.... I wouldn't even consider a 4-stroke 15hp and I'd try lifting a 35/36kg 2-stroke 15hp as well before purchasing. There is no doubt the 10kg less of a 6hp 4-stroke or Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke is life changing if you have any issues moving weight. And it's not just the weight of an outboard they are a top heavy thing with sharp bits and oily bits that make them nothing like lifting a similar weight in the way you pick up shopping bags of beer.

It is true that folks to use trolleys and such things to assist but for me I always want to be able to lift the outboard off and carry over boulders, sand or a greasy slipway with ease.
Old 13 April 2022, 12:06   #11

Sorry to be spamming a bit. Really important. Do you know about short and long shaft engines? You need a short shaft and it is possible to get carried away with a purchase and not notice it's because the motor is a long shaft which are not in demand in smaller sizes so often cheaper.
Old 13 April 2022, 12:16   #12

Ok thanks, that's good to know regarding Johnson/Evinrude in the UK.

Ok, so 2 stroke Vs 4 stroke. my reservation regarding the 2 strokes are, I've never used one. I've not mixed oil and I was reading that you need to drain oil before laying them down? All extra steps I'm yet to know about. I don't know what I don't know about them. Can I leave it layed down/store in the boot same way you can with the 6hp yamaha 4 strokes?

What issues might I need to know about, especially regarding the layed down transport and leaking/leakage?

Thanks!

Quote:
I have to say the Johnson/Evinrude have never been quite so popular or freely available in the UK as the USA where it is the go-to brand.

Not saying there is anything wrong with them if you tripped across one as a great deal but in the UK we tend to buy Yamaha, Mercury, Mariner, Tohatsu, Suzuki etc.

But in truth you really have to decide which way you want to go re small and lower cost to get started or get your "forever" outboard now. Prices are still very high of all used motors and availability low which makes finding one so hard.

Also to make a 2-stroke or 4-stroke decision would help refine the search.
Old 13 April 2022, 12:20   #13

Quote:
Sorry to be spamming a bit. Really important. Do you know about short and long shaft engines? You need a short shaft and it is possible to get carried away with a purchase and not notice it's because the motor is a long shaft which are not in demand in smaller sizes so often cheaper.
I do, but thanks for checking. This size need short shaft.

Also I think our posts of overlapping as I'm taking too long to type and you are very quick!
Old 13 April 2022, 12:23   #14

No you don't need to drain anything off a 2-stroke before laying down, not sure where that's come from. In fact they are the most user friendly to transport as they can be lay on any side.

Mixing oil... well yes an extra job but one I'm happy to do having moved back to a 2-stroke to save weight.

I've just trawled Ebay as if I had your needs and only one outboard takes my interest... and it's one I would pursue. Really well made these Yamahas, looks very clean under the cowl and they are a smooth running twin cylinder easily lifted 27kg motor. Of course all the usual questions and a test in a bucket on buying day needed but it looks promising...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185376547087
Old 13 April 2022, 12:30   #15
Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewater View Post
Thanks, there seem to be so many different years etc I'm not sure I'd know where to start.

What would be a good minimum year that you would purchase?
There's basically 2 generations of models.

1974 (minumum) to 92

and 93 to 07

Regardless of your choice, these are bullet proof 31KG outboards you can resell easily.
Old 13 April 2022, 13:33   #16

ok, well that clears things up, I'm now not sure where I read that. If memory serves, it was something about something leaking into another part of the engine? - but clearly I misunderstood - not unusual!

Used 2 stroke gives me some more options when on the lookout. Would something like that Yamaha get 2 (180kg total) with some gear on the plane or are you gently, for my own good, guiding me away from the smaller 5/6hps?

Quote:
No you don't need to drain anything off a 2-stroke before laying down, not sure where that's come from. In fact they are the most user friendly to transport as they can be lay on any side.

Mixing oil... well yes an extra job but one I'm happy to do having moved back to a 2-stroke to save weight.

I've just trawled Ebay as if I had your needs and only one outboard takes my interest... and it's one I would pursue. Really well made these Yamahas, looks very clean under the cowl and they are a smooth running twin cylinder easily lifted 27kg motor. Of course all the usual questions and a test in a bucket on buying day needed but it looks promising...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185376547087
Old 13 April 2022, 13:59   #17

Personally given they are the same weight I'd rather the twin cylinder 2-stroke "grunt" of that 8hp than a single cylinder 4-stroke 6hp. But others may have different preferences.
Old 13 April 2022, 14:48   #18

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Livewire.

Think if you take a look at PK's review of a 3.3 mtr sib and a 6hp outboard, it will give you a good idea of performance.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sib-re...330-84136.html

I can find merits in buying either the used 8HP Yam or the "as new" Orca (think transferable warranty). If at the end of the summer you find you didn't take to it, I'm sure you will be able to sell your SIB/OB package for more than you paid for it. Conversely if you really take to it and want to upgrade you will be in a much more knowledgeable position to decide the ideal SIB/OB combo that suits your needs and still sell your SIB/OB for more.
Old 13 April 2022, 17:25   #19

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
Right, my two penorth.

A 3.2/3.3 solo will just about climb onto plane with just me and minimal gear on board. I'm around 90kg. Add the 9yo into the mix and it's pretty much impossible. 2 adults, forget it.

9.9hp johnyrude, fantastic motor. 2 adults plus boy, pops up on plane easily. (both adults around 90kg)

I do still have my Chinese 6hp which has done almost zero work. If you fancy a weekend away to Wales or the lakes at some point in the next few weeks, I'd hapilly let you try both of my motors on your boat so you can see the difference.
If you decide the 6hp is enough I'd let it go pretty cheap but just as happy to keep hold of it as a spare.
You're going to need a decent pump too or you will either be worn out or under inflated.
Transom wheels are pretty handy too.

You see, now you've bought a boat you're into the "Break Out Another Thousand" club!
Old 13 April 2022, 17:33   #20

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzajnr View Post
You see, now you've bought a boat you're into the "Break Out Another Thousand" club!
couldn't agree more

Tags
outboard, sib