Old 02 September 2022, 15:52   #1

Takacat, True Kit - holding up well?

There've been a few threads mentioning these. I'm pretty interested in that style boat for a number of reasons (ease of launching/beaching, ease of getting in/out when supporting wingfoilers, etc.) and am wondering if any of the folks here who have either boat could share how they're holding up. I'm not too concerned about UV induced PVC decay (I'm in NW Washington - think latitude and cloudiness similar to North Sea countries) and will be storing it under a cover in my driveway rather than on transom davits in the tropics. But I'd hate to end up with something that turns into a maintenance nightmare.

Specifically:

On the Takacat, any problems with the glued seams? How about the glued patches that hold the transom tubes?

On the True Kit - any problems with the glued in transom?

For either - any issues from transporting/storing on a trailer? I'm assuming I'll need to find a way to support some of the engine weight to prevent delam issues around the transom?

I'd be looking at either the True Kit Discovery 400, or the Takacat 420LX, and will be pairing that with a 20hp 4 stroke (probably a Suzuki, since they're pretty darn light for their power output and reasonably priced in my area).
Old 02 September 2022, 21:47   #2

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
I’ve had a Takacat 300 LX for just over 2 years. Maximum engine size is 10 hp, but I have a Suzuki 6 hp. The decision was based on managing to lift a large engine. It runs well with the 6 hp, but only after I had a permatrim fitted to reduce ventilation. I often use the boat solo, but sometimes with one passenger. There is no bench seat, but they are supplied with and inflatable seat. I prefer to sit on the tube.
No issues with glued seams( so far).
No issues with u.v damage, though I store it out of the light.
The transom fitted launching wheels are disappointing, due to limited weight limits. It means you can’t launch with all your kit in the boat. I think the brackets on the tubular transom are the weakness.
I inflate the boat for each use, so can’t comment on trailering.
The tubular transom is very different. This makes folding the boat easier when deflated, and the boat lighter when packed, but it does mean another bag to carry, with the transom bars, pads, wheels and airfloor in it. It makes assembly a bit slower, but it is good in surf as any water taken over the front is dumped straight out the back.
The airfloor is good, and makes the boat very rigid and stable. I think the airfloor on the LX420 can be used as a S.U.P, which opens up options.
The boat handles, and tracks well, and being a cat, runs very level, and is great fun.
Long term ownership is difficult to gauge at this point, but so,so good. They are very capable on the water, stable, easy to board from the water, and run well with relatively small engines.
Because of the open design, storage of any kit needs to be in a dry bag, though to be fair, I’ve only taken on water when beach launching into surf.
Old 06 September 2022, 23:58   #3

Thanks, Old Seahorse - that's good feedback and generally encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
The transom fitted launching wheels are disappointing, due to limited weight limits. It means you can’t launch with all your kit in the boat. I think the brackets on the tubular transom are the weakness.
This is a bit disconcerting, I'm grateful you brought that up so I can look into it. After a bit of digging - it appears as though the new boats are now sold with what they call a heavy duty transom with square tubing made from 2mm, instead of 1.2mm stainless. I don't know if that solves the problem though, as it doesn't seem as though the mounting hardware on the wheels themselves is all that stout.

Launching with the transom wheels is a major perk we're looking to get by going to an inflatable cat. Makes me think whether I'd rather forgo the slightly bigger tubes and longer size and go with a Truekit instead, as their transom wheels look pretty sturdy. We're looking at a 20hp engine, and will usually want to carry a fair bit of gear (like wingfoiling equipment, etc.) - so the wheels need to be pretty sturdy for that to make sense.

Hmm - food for thought...
Old 07 September 2022, 07:39   #4

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
I’d noticed that they were now offering transom bars with square section tubes across the boat. That may have been to resolve this.
The transom brackets should be much stronger than mine, which are welded to round bar. I launch with the outboard fitted, but load any heavy items once the boat is on the water, especially the remote fuel tank. If you are travelling light it may not be an issue, or with other crew who can carry the extra kit.
Having said all that, I’m pleased with the boat. The large tubes inspire confidence. If you have an opportunity to see both makes of boat, it may help you decide.