Old 03 September 2022, 17:49   #1
moc

Town: Montréal, Québec
Make: Seabright
Engine: Outboard, 30HP
Flag pole installation recommendation.

I just bought my first SIB (with al. floor), and I'm going to go diving with it, and I would like to install a flag pool so I can raise the diving flag and the alpha flag. I know most people don't do it, but I want to do it...

So instead of reinventing the wheels, I'm interested if anyone did proceed to install a flag pool for their SIB and how they did it.

My Preference would be something that is not permanent, so something attached to the back with compression screw.

The boat is this one : seabright marine, seabrightmarine, inflatable boats, inflatable boat, hypalon, RIB, RIBs, hypalon inflatable boat, hypalon inflatable boats, hypalon rib, hypalon ribs

I ordered the 2 flag, which are 24x20inch with a stiffen rode, so it can be vertical.

Will be use mostly in fresh water.

So any picture or product recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03 September 2022, 18:14   #2

Length: 3m +
A simple solution is a broom pole or piece of PVC pipe. Can either be cable tied or pipe clipped to transom. If it's to be removable, bigger diameter pipe on transom and drop the pole into it.
Old 03 September 2022, 18:22   #3

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Railblaza make a resin flag/ light pole, which is 1 metre high, fits into any of their fittings. There are easy to fit/ remove, and can be use for cameras etc as well.
Old 04 September 2022, 09:00   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Something mounted on the transom should work, PVC or stainless steel with brackets to drop the pole into. I’d avoid PVC pipe for the pole though. A fibreglass resin pole (same thing they use for golf flags) would work as it is rigid but has sufficient flex.

You could go down the bespoke stainless steel light pole route, but not cheap and probably overkill for what you want. The only advantage is it can collapse and be built in sections with fastening clips to secure.
Old 04 September 2022, 19:21   #5
moc

Thanks for all your input !
I will experiment with a base PVC pipe attached to the transom(somehow... 2 suction cup maybe ), and put a collapsible flag pole that have 2 flag attachment.
Old 05 September 2022, 12:52   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Are you going to raise both the International A flag (Blue with white chevron) and the American Diver Down flag? (Red with white diagonal)? Is that normal in your part of the world? Could it lead to confusion - or worse people coming closer to see what you are trying to signal!

Here only the A flag is used - but the "advice" is that it should be on a large solid board not a flag: in many conditions where you'd want to go in the water a flag will be too limp to properly identify. This is however an occasion where size does matter!
Old 06 September 2022, 19:38   #7
moc

Well, Alpha flag is to let people know that the boat cannot be maneuvered easily, so it give us priority over other boat, and the diving flag is when diver are in the water.

Permit is required to be a boat operator around here, which include these flag in the course, but that said, the less people use these flag, people forget... So I know must people don't even use any flag... But I want to. So yes I will raise both flag, and people can take a picture and look it up on their phone if need be And even with flag raised, as diver we have to consider boat could come super close by anyway. But if having flag up can inspire other diver to put flag on their boat, then maybe we will increase safety in the long term.

I'm buying flags that do remain straight, so it won't be limp when raised.
Old 06 September 2022, 20:35   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by moc View Post
Well, Alpha flag is to let people know that the boat cannot be maneuvered easily…..

That’s not correct, flag Alpha is the international code flag for “I have divers down, keep clear”
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote